Utility boat companies

I hold a 100 ton near coastal master and am currently acquiring sea time towards my 1600 ton mate as an AB on a 300 ton workboat in the GOM. I’m considering a position as a master/mate on a utility boat to gain experience driving in the GOM. Does anyone have any recommendations for utility boat companies to apply to?

Getting tonnage like you are doing is great. Will your present company will give you a shot at a mate’s spot if you get the ticket? If they will, you may want to think if it’s worth it to start over with another company/position.

A day of experience actually running a boat is worth at least 30 days as an AB. If your boat is DP, and you can get hands on DP-1 or DP-2 seatime, you might want to stay. If you have at least 180 days (120 12 hr days) as an AB on a vessel over 200 tons, in my opinion, you would be better off moving to a crewboat, utility boat or mini-supplyboat. If you are going to sail AB, try to do it on a 6000 GT or unlimited boat, DP if possible.

I will have the required sea time for my 1600 mate in March. I still need radar, medical care provider, bridge resource management, and advanced fire fighting as well as arpa and GMDSS. I was thinking about getting a job with my 100 ton license while I take those courses. No sense working any longer than needed as an AB, right?

[QUOTE=westmaui;145699]I will have the required sea time for my 1600 mate in March. I still need radar, medical care provider, bridge resource management, and advanced fire fighting as well as arpa and GMDSS. I was thinking about getting a job with my 100 ton license while I take those courses. No sense working any longer than needed as an AB, right?[/QUOTE]

Would your company give you a shot at a mate’s spot when you get your mate’s license? If they would then leaving to go work for a 100 ton company then leaving again to use your mate’s license would be a hassle if you ask me.

ABs in general make about the same a 100 ton non-dp captain make. Of course there are exceptions to everything. Ideally, it would be great to be with a company that has 100 ton boats and greater so you can transfer internally and have room to grow if you wanted.

[QUOTE=westmaui;145699]I will have the required sea time for my 1600 mate in March. I still need radar, medical care provider, bridge resource management, and advanced fire fighting as well as arpa and GMDSS. I was thinking about getting a job with my 100 ton license while I take those courses. No sense working any longer than needed as an AB, right?[/QUOTE]

If you will have three years of seatime in March, then you should also apply for Third Mate, it’s the same exam. You’ll get a tonnage limit but so what.

The courses you require will consume a lot of time and money. You might want to think about finding a company or union that will pay for them.

Correct me if I wrong here about the requirements for 1600 mate: AB, STCW basic safety training, advanced fire fighting, PSC Lifeboatman, RADAR, Bridge Resource Management, Medical Care Provider. Am I forgetting anything?

[QUOTE=westmaui;145754]Correct me if I wrong here about the requirements for 1600 mate: AB, STCW basic safety training, advanced fire fighting, PSC Lifeboatman, RADAR, Bridge Resource Management, Medical Care Provider. Am I forgetting anything?[/QUOTE]
you will also need the oicnw assessments for the stcw. You can test for the license and get the domestic without most of the above, but then again without the stcw the license isn’t really worth much for using. Look at the checklists on the nmc site.