USS Connecticut collision

As might a container perhaps.

I think that would be all but impossible since to sink the the container had to become negative at or near the surface, any contents would be collapsed by sea pressure and become less bouyant as the box descended.

We ballasted negative to submerge then pumped out water ballast to achieve neutral bouyancy at depth. If by some amazing miracle the box submerged because it was only a couple of pounds negative when it went into the water, contained absolutely nothing that might compress, and sank slower than a silt particle and lacked enough inertia to penetrate the thermocline it might, just might park if the density change was great enough. I think the chances of my winning the lottery 5 days in a row are greater.

1 Like

Is the official speculation that the CT hit a container box vs a seamount? Or just spitballing here?

Is that sort of like an ā€œalternative truthā€?

I think the box talk is just chatting across the mess table.

1 Like

Coulda been a USO

Seabed mining kit ? Wreck ?

Forget the mess talk about sinking containers, can you tell more of your submersible experiences? Here or via pmā€¦ā€¦truly interested how you landed such a gig and what was like

1 Like

You can experience it yourself scuba diving. The deeper you go, the more the wet suit - and you - compress and the less buoyancy you have. A modern diver with a BC is a miniature sub. You let air out to sink and once at your target depth you add a bit back in to be neutral. Swimming level is one thing, you can make up for minor variations, but just hanging motionless in midwater is hard. Then on the way back up you start gaining buoyancy and rising faster. If you donā€™t want to pop up like a cork and get the bends, you need to vent air on the way up.

1 Like

I think USS Connecticut collided with a Chinese, Japanese or Korean steel trawler. Just show me the hull damages on the USS Connecticut and Iā€™ll explain the contact.

Show me the hull damages on the trawler.

1 Like

It is at the bottom of the sea!

ā€¦alongside your credibilityā€¦ :grinning:

4 Likes

I think USS Connecticut collided with a Chinese, Japanese or Korean steel trawler. Just show me the hull damages on the USS Connecticut and Iā€™ll explain the contact.

It was a broken piece Antarctica they collided with. Evidence has melted.

1 Like

Would sail/fin/mast damage force it to return to Guam on the surface ?

Donā€™t know the correct term these days, used to be conning tower but now sail or fin seem to be used

Late news still isnā€™t much news. We wonā€™t hear much until there is a leak but that should not take too long.

1 Like

Well, it is floating and the stern looks OK but I would arrange the mooring lines differently but every skipper has his/her own ideas. Question remains what USS Connecticut (SSN-22) hit or contacted with three weeks ago. I still think it was a trawler and as China, Taiwan, Japan and S.Korea are quiet, it must have been a North Korean boat.

You never surprise me Heiwa.

4 Likes

It was actually the Loch Ness monster. No word on why the Connecticut was in Loch Ness.

4 Likes

That information is classified.

4 Likes

First seven minutes or so are about the Connecticut.