USN to MMD

[quote=Jeffrox;15605]“The link below should help some…In the Marine Safety Manual volume III.”

I just looked at that, boy is it dated, obsolete ratings, all those colunms concerning Pursers, (MSC has 'em-does anybody else?), etc. The Navy has lots of new ratings and have combined others.

When I did my initial seatime credit with the USCG I was able to go in and sit down the Coastie LCDR that was running the REC and we fished through my paperwork; I was able to make a pitch or two to him and clarify my Navy service, he made one additional request of me, I came back a few weeks later with what he requested and got my credit for AB Unl and 3rd mate.

Those were the days… are Mariners restricted from going to the NMC if they wanted to??:confused:[/quote]

Jeff, I snagged that link from a post sometime last year…Does anyone know of an updated version or is there such a thing?

[quote=Kyle G;15403]Hows everyone doing? I would like to introduce myself. I recently got out of the Navy after 4 years of service. 3 years, 2 months of which were spent on the USS Porter (DDG-78) out of Norfolk, VA. I was a STG (Sonar Technician/ Surface) but I did spend a lot of time out of my division. I worked my way up to supervisor of aft sea & anchor operations. I also spent my whole time on the ships VBSS (Boarding team) which wel did a lot of small boat operations.

I got out in May 2008 and moved back to my native New York City and got a job with NYC DOT @ the Staten Island Ferry as a deckhand. I ahve been there since January.

Its a really good job and I have been working on moving up. I am trying to learn about how things go with MMD. I am looking to get my 3rd mates license (as a first step). My only problem is that things are kind of confusing because there aren’t many people in the same boat as me. Most either got their mate’s ticket a long time ago and cant help, graduated from a respective academy with a ticket, or are content staying on deck and have no aspirations of moving anywhere. So it is hard for me to find out the exact information.

My biggest issue is sea time. I have heard conflicting information about the requirements, or should I say documentation of the requirements. My DD-214, whcih is my separation paperwork, says 3 years, 2 months of “Sea Time.” But that is just time served on the vessel the majority of which is tied up to the pier. It was where I went to work everyday but some people tell me that they only count the actual underweigh time, some tell me that the whole 3 years will count. Does anyone have any clarification on this? Any other info or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

//Kyle[/quote]

The DD-214 does not work for documenting sea time and it provides not specifics as to type of vessels. You need to get a “Statement of Creditable Sea Service” from the Navy.

US Navy Service Record, left side, Page 5 - History of Assignments is what I recall using.