I am fixing to roll in the mud with pigs. However, before I perform this act, I want to get a feel for the level of training received while wearing the blue suit. Specifically, how do you rate the training you received on the bridge of a major cutter (>140ft) compared to the “required” STCW training for 2nd/3rd unlimited. I am putting this identical request in the NAVY section also because I respect their abilities, traditions and excellent training methods.
Here is the information and ground rules I would like to limit this to;
- Keep it civil.
- You wore a blue suit.
- You earned a 1600 ton or greater license or are actively working on earning one.
- You stood QMOW/JOOD or Underway OOD watches on a major cutter.
- You were qualified for the above watch (passed a board and received a letter)
- How would rate the USCG Training to “Approved” STCW training?
- You DID NOT graduate from the USCGA
- If you did graduate from the USCGA, how would you rate the Academy training to other
I want to get a discussion started on this because I have my own opinion and feel pretty strongly about this issue. Before the usual stuff starts up, let me qualify my own situation.
A. I have a lot of free time.
B. I am appealing some policies.
C. I can afford the schools.
D. I am stimulating the economy by creating work (and hopefully jobs) for somebody at the NMC so
they must to work on refuting appeals insteading of issuing form letters.
E. I think it is a cop out the USCG does not recognize their own training.
F. Since the USCG does not recognize their own training, they are violating the STCW Code and
because of that, the CFR’s and endangering lives at sea.
If you want to communicate with me confidentially because any time you question stuff with your license, any entry is made in your file, you must be a member of GCaptain. Unless of course, you know my secret identity.