USCG Job Opening

Another that has been running forever due to lack of applicants, notwithstanding all those insiders they want to give the job to…

Tell them to move the position to the Battery in NYC and I’m there, they can consider it filled.

Sounds to me like someone’s brother-in-law was desperate for a job. :grin: :laughing:

And didn’t bother to apply the last 2 times we tried to hire for this position.

You can type key words and job types/titles to get daily updates of jobs posted. Make your resume searchable by computer/recruiters and you have a fair chance of getting something decent. Obviously networking and having some first hand knowledge of what’s coming available helps but anyone can do that with a little question asking and a visit to where you want to work.

Hanlon’s Razor! Been using that quote rather frequently lately! lol

If the USCG wants to hire licensed officers with sailing experience, it needs to do some active outreach.

Today, any licensed officer who wants to work is busier than he wants to be.

1 Like

USAJOBS is just that. The government idea of “active outreach “. Plenty of applicants with licenses that don’t want to sail anymore. I believe it’s just a matter of finding the most experienced ones and then being able to vet them in a reasonable time and then retaining them.
Government service is an interesting thing and the long process from application to actual onboard date can be months and months apart. Maybe Not something everyone can afford to do or has the luxury of waiting for?
Sounds like a pretty boring job to me. Maybe the inspector position would be okay but the MTS jobs sound like straight desk jockey to me.

Really? This is the third time we had to run that announcement because no one with a license applied the first two times.

I don’t know where they are getting hired but several folks I know have quit sailing and I know some don’t want to deal with government positions anymore. I did consider the CG MTS position myself as I am working towards my transition ashore but even with a decent salary for a shoreside position, WV is a hard sell and also sounds to be a complete desk job. I like to be a bit more mobile and not on my backside for 8+ hours like my job has become more and more like.
I know Eng folks are bailing left and right as well. I’m shocked nobody applied. Learning something new everyday.

You gonna announce any GS15’s in the future?

No.

1 Like

The announcement I had originally posted is running again.

This announcement will close no later than August 15. I don’t know if it will close sooner if a certain number if applications are received. As per the last notice, this is a remote position.

3 Likes

Remote as in “work from home”? From a sailor’s perspective when I hear remote location, I’m thinking: no or minimal logistical support, remaining on ships power, probably don’t want to drink the water, and things like that. Been at sea far too long!

https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/job-announcement/remote/

If you are having a hard time filling positions, why are the announcements only open for five days during a period of time many people take vacations?

You can set up an alert in USAJobs to get notified for openings at whatever agency or keyword or location you want.

Aww. I didn’t make the cut. “Lacked the required experience” (applied on the license and degree path). Hopefully some better candidates were fielded this go around! Good luck to those who applied if your in here!

I actually applied too, thanks for the reminder to check on it. Unfortunately, I was met with “You were not within reach to be considered.” And “Your application package was not reviewed by Human Resources; only those candidates who ranked in a higher quality category were reviewed and/or referred to the selecting official for consideration.”

I guess without veteran’s preference or service as an existing federal employee, I don’t rank high enough for further review. Luckily, I just started a job elsewhere that pays more than the base GS12 pay for this posting.

1 Like

I got the same thing.

1 Like