USACE Deckhand Positions for Vets

Holy Cow!
…3 1/2 months later, they call me back.
Any idea of what I could expect if I’m offered the job?
It looks like the pay is just North of $23/hr. and the Gov. benes look good…anybody doing this currently?

I just left the corps to go as mate with Wilmington tug. U should know really soon. It’s a tit job for sure.

Why did you change over?

good question…

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;181092]good question…[/QUOTE]

…wait, you’re gonna say “for the money”, right?

[QUOTE=captjamied;179831]Holy Cow!
…3 1/2 months later, they call me back.
Any idea of what I could expect if I’m offered the job?
It looks like the pay is just North of $23/hr. and the Gov. benes look good…anybody doing this currently?[/QUOTE]

Take the job, you can always quit later. If you like it there, stay long enough to become vested.

[QUOTE=catherder;181483]Take the job, you can always quit later. If you like it there, stay long enough to become vested.[/QUOTE]

How long does it take to get vested?

[QUOTE=captjamied;181484]How long does it take to get vested?[/QUOTE]

It depends on the agency. I work for the Dept of Commerce and they tell me I have to do 5 years.

Your agency (Army) may be different so be sure to ask.

They have “tentatively” offered me the job of Deckhand (Dual Rate), WK-5788-06, of course there are still a number of steps in the process of being hired but my old lady is asking me a bunch of questions I don’t know the answer to…like about the benefits, the union, the pension, advancement opportunities…I know I could ask all these questions at an interview which is further down the process chain, but can anyone, hopefully people with first hand experience with these things, tell me more about such things?
Or can someone please point me in the right direction to find out for myself? I don’t even know which union they are talking about. I don’t even know what “Dual Rate” even means…
I apologize for my ignorance and thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=captjamied;181521]They have “tentatively” offered me the job of Deckhand (Dual Rate), WK-5788-06, of course there are still a number of steps in the process of being hired but my old lady is asking me a bunch of questions I don’t know the answer to…like about the benefits, the union, the pension, advancement opportunities…I know I could ask all these questions at an interview which is further down the process chain, but can anyone, hopefully people with first hand experience with these things, tell me more about such things?
Or can someone please point me in the right direction to find out for myself? I don’t even know which union they are talking about. I don’t even know what “Dual Rate” even means…
I apologize for my ignorance and thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Joining a Federal Union is Optional and not required. I believe (coming back to Federal work for a 2nd time) the benefits are unmatched. Retirement, Medical, Vision, Life Insurance, etc… Fully vested in 3-years (for most). All travel is coordinated and paid for you, to include hotel, rental car, etc. Advancement depends on your field. Jobs sucks some times, but long term benefits are what brought me back keep me around.

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/plan-information/guides/

[QUOTE=captjamied;181521]They have “tentatively” offered me the job of Deckhand (Dual Rate), WK-5788-06, of course there are still a number of steps in the process of being hired but my old lady is asking me a bunch of questions I don’t know the answer to…like about the benefits, the union, the pension, advancement opportunities…I know I could ask all these questions at an interview which is further down the process chain, but can anyone, hopefully people with first hand experience with these things, tell me more about such things?
I apologize for my ignorance and thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

You might be covered by a maritime union (SIU), not sure. Don’t know much about the ACOA. On unions, it’s your option to join. The bennies are very good. Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Thrift Savings Plan, life insurance, dental, you might even get MWR (think PX, Commissary, base gyms, ticket offices etc) privileges (I do).

I am holding out long enough for a modest retirement (couple more years).