US troops pulling out of Iraq

Reuters report:

BAGHDAD, Jan 6 (Reuters) - The United States-led military coalition against Islamic State said on Monday that it was pulling out of Iraq and would be repositioning forces over the next few days and weeks, a letter seen by Reuters showed.

“Sir, in deference to the sovereignty of the Republic of Iraq, and as requested by the Iraqi Parliament and the Prime Minister, CJTF-OIR will be repositioning forces over the course of the coming days and weeks to prepare for onward movement,” read a letter from United States Marine Corps Brigadier General William H. Seely III, the commanding general of Task Force Iraq.

The authenticity of the letter, which was addressed to the Iraqi defense ministry’s Combined Joint Operations Baghdad, was confirmed to Reuters independently by an Iraqi military source.

“We respect your sovereign decision to order our departure,” it said. (Reporting by Ahmed Aboulenein Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)

I’m sure Russia will enjoy getting their old port back on the Arabian Gulf…

That means it will be true in a week.

Who knew the Pentagon was so full of merry pranksters.

Prankster? No, not likely. Letters like this don’t accidentally get released to one news agency, except as a deniable trial balloon to gauge reactions to oppose or support an action contemplated.

1 Like

I was being facetious.

I believe you. It is as true as my own seriousness. It’s sad that we’re in such a condition where we can’t have faith in any honest exposition of policy anymore.

If you think the event was odd, take a look at the explanation…

Milley said the United States wanted to explain to the Iraqi military that there had been increased movement of aircraft, including transporting forces between bases in Iraq and also moving them into Iraq from Kuwait.

No mention of any of it in the letter in question which has an acquiescing tone and closes with “We respect your sovereign decision to order our departure”.

“It (the draft letter) was sent over to some key Iraqi military guys in order to get things coordinated for air movements, etc. Then it went from that guy’s hands to another guy’s hands and then it went to your hands. Now it’s a kerfuffle,” Milley said.

Milley said the unsigned draft document was sent around to get input from Iraqi officials, the kind of thing he said he does regularly.

"I send drafts all over Washington D.C. that aren’t signed to get people’s input and feedback,” Milley said.

Don’t you dessiminate all your sensitive correspondence prior to signing it?

Iraqi caretaker Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi told the U.S. ambassador to Baghdad on Monday that both nations needed to implement the resolution, the premier’s office said in a statement.

He should prolly forget about it, it’s just some kind of kerrfuffle.

Totally what I do when I’m ordered out of a country, I say, “sure, but I want to get the wording right, could you look at this draft?”

1 Like

The adults in the room have quit or been fired and the chaos coming out of Washington now is a result. The right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. The fish rots from the head.

4 Likes

I thought most everyone wanted us to leave Iraq, what the problem now?

Really? I don’t think most people give two shits about Hillary anymore, its 3 yrs after the fact. She has nothing to do with the current situation. (See you deleted your original comment, “Sorry your girl lost”)

Leaving Iraq and Afghanistan is awesome. But, we need to be smart about it and not abandon our allies like we did in Syria.