US Coast Guard License Consultants

I’ve seen varying opinions on here regarding the use of license consultants, which range from “if you can’t figure out how to upgrade yourself then you don’t deserve the upgrade” to “it’s my career, why shouldn’t I do everything I can to get the upgrade.” For what it’s worth, I recently upgraded to second mate any gross tons oceans and used Andy Hammond Consulting to assist me in the process because I was relying on a sea service equivalent (instructor at a bona fide school of navigation) for a portion of my sea service. Andy did a great job guiding me through the process, but where he really earned his fee was during the appeal following the initial request for more information by the evaluator. While many people may not need the services of a license consultant, I would absolutely recommend their services if there is anything at all about your application that would trip up the evaluator. For me, it was money well spent.

For people with very straightforward and routine qualifying seatime (like the AB with 1200 - 8 hour days on ships over 20,000 GRT), a license consultant probably isn’t necessary, but for those of us with a wide variety of different types of qualifying seatime and using less routine upgrade paths from limited tonnage vessels, a license consultant is well worth the less than one day’s wages that most of them charge. I’d much rather pay a license consultant a few hundred dollars to educate an inexperienced evaluator than to try to do it myself.

Congrats on the upgrade! Good to see a fellow south carolinian on here!

Agreed! I have gone through the application process 8 times and while I’m perfectly able to apply on my own, the last few times I’ve had a consultant or most recently a school secretary handle it. Chump change to deal with the NMC back and forth. Hand them a stack of discharges, sign your name and forget about it.

[QUOTE=SCgamecock;81902]I’ve seen varying opinions on here regarding the use of license consultants, which range from “if you can’t figure out how to upgrade yourself then you don’t deserve the upgrade” to “it’s my career, why shouldn’t I do everything I can to get the upgrade.” For what it’s worth, I recently upgraded to second mate any gross tons oceans and used Andy Hammond Consulting to assist me in the process because I was relying on a sea service equivalent (instructor at a bona fide school of navigation) for a portion of my sea service. Andy did a great job guiding me through the process, but where he really earned his fee was during the appeal following the initial request for more information by the evaluator. While many people may not need the services of a license consultant, I would absolutely recommend their services if there is anything at all about your application that would trip up the evaluator. For me, it was money well spent.[/QUOTE]

You teach at a navigation school and needed a consultant? I bet you’re a big help when your students have questions about their licenses…

He’s teaching a navigation class not an NMC evaluator class, geez!!!

…and in my case, Andy was able to deal with the NMC during business hours and i was not as i was at sea

[QUOTE=Archimedes;81972]You teach at a navigation school and needed a consultant? I bet you’re a big help when your students have questions about their licenses…[/QUOTE]

I think you missed the point of the post. I had unusual sea service and, instead of going back and forth with the NMC evaluator, I relied on the consultant, who I found to be very helpful in that regard. As for helping my students with license questions, I taught navigation to Naval ROTC cadets at the Citadel. Their career path took them from school to Surface Warfare Officer in the Navy, so no license involved.

Just sayin’ after a few months of school getting my Third Mates License, I could hear the office phone ringing off the hook all day long at the school with different questions about seatime. Uninspected fishing, TOAR, Navy seatime, buddy’s yacht… you name it.

My license was pretty straight-forward being a blue-water guy, so I pretty much did it on my own. I only had a few quick questions as I was on a Marshall Islands flagged ship for a while and wondered if it was good (it was), and when they changed some “hawespiper” assessments in mid-2011. (they tried to make it easier for hawespipers, but actually made it more difficult for me. Same assessments, they just changed the code number)

But please go with a consultant and do not call the school unless they offer consulting. I never tried a consultant, but if I thought I needed one, Id definitely kick down a days pay to spare me the headaches.

That said, do not be afraid to email or call the NMC. They have always been prompt, accurate and helpful to me. Just don’t give them an attitude. It’s not fair to them, makes them defensive and they are just informing you of the rules/process as they see them.

Yes the process is complex and confusing at times, but the NMC is very helpful.

If you don’t have the time or patience to deal with it, or you have an unusual situation with the NMC , give one of these consulting guys your business. Like my school, its money well invested if it gets you where you want to go.

Just keep the school a school, and consulting, consulting.