Upgrade to 500 ton or DP?

I am currently running a utility boat with a 100 gt license (4th issue). I also have my TWIC, FCC radio license, and Radar Endorsement. I would like to improve my income. Can anyone give me some direction on whether I should try to get a DP first and move on to a company with DP vessels or should I upgrade the tonnage on my license first? I have a friend who works for a company with DP vessels with 100 ton captains so I was thinking that would be a better first step. Can someone who is knowledgeable fill me in? If I do go the DP route do I need my STCW first?

If you are moving on to more tonnage you will have to do STCW first. Which way you go one way or other will improve your income. I would choose DP and then license upgrades. That will most likely get your pay up faster IMO.

[QUOTE=captaint76;115840]If you are moving on to more tonnage you will have to do STCW first. Which way you go one way or other will improve your income. I would choose DP and then license upgrades. That will most likely get your pay up faster IMO.[/QUOTE]

Do I need STCW before the DP basic? Any recommendations on where to take the DP class?

I went the Master 500 route, and the DP fell into place.

Remember, with the Master 500, you can ask for the 3000 ITC endorsement, and you are good to go on a number of supply vessels that are running under ITC tonnage.

You can only get 3000 ITC NC with Master 500 NC or Oceans. You can only get 3000 ITC Oceans with Master 1600 Oceans.

And your Master 1600 will fall into place with sea time only.

Not sure if there is one right way. Depends on what opportunities come your way that you are prepared to act one.

Get the tonnage. It is far easier for a company to help with DP than tonnage. People think companies like ECO won’t touch them without DP, but that is why they built their own simulators …they are going to run basic DP every other week, might as well be you in it!

Basically tonnage is a legal USCG requirement and DO is a customer request. That’s how you should rank them in your training as well.

DP that should read…

[QUOTE=water;115849]

You can only get 3000 ITC NC with Master 500 NC or Oceans. You can only get 3000 ITC Oceans with Master 1600 Oceans.

[/QUOTE]

I thought we had been over this, you can have a 3000 OTC OSV Oceans with a 500 ton. The OSV falls off when you get your 1600 ton. Hell you can have a 6000 ITC Oceans if you need it.
Here’s the wording off my own license.

]

As far was what to do. Get the bigger license. Spending your own money to get your DP basic is a waste of money, any DP training is useless you are able to get on a boat and get your License, as all any company is looking for is a DP license, not training. But if you show up with a bigger license it’s nothing to for a company to send you to training.

Also I don’t know any 100 ton company that requires a DP license to be hired. Hell Abdon will hire you right now and you can get your DP time AND be upgrading, just don’t let them know…

The NMC originally gave me Master 500 Oceans 3000 OSV Oceans, but reduced it to 3000 ITC NC OSV at renewal. I did not argue because that is the way Policy Letter 07-00, Page 2 reads.

Got the 3000 ITC Oceans back, and dropped the OSV, when my license bumped up to Master 1600 Oceans.

Well dam, i guess I got lucky. Good thing Ill upgrade before having to renew.

They also gave me Master 500 GRT Oceans / 6000 OSV initially, until they realized they had made a “clerical error” … :slight_smile:

I keep looking at the big boys websites and they all say they are looking for 1600 ton master/mates. They will take 500 ton’rs as well wont they? I dont want to pay my own way through DP basic for no reason. Ill have a 1600 when I get a little more time but not until then.

Yes they will.

The small boat companies such as Abdon liked that I have DP Basic but hated that I have 1600 tons

DP basic only costs four days pay No one objects to it and most companies like it Why waste time hunting for a job without it.

When you upgrade BE SURE TO REQUEST THE 3000 OSV ENDORSEMENT! This will allow you to run any boat a 1600 guy can.

Of corse they hate it…why would you stick around there as captain making what AB’s make on the larger vessels when you already have the license? They know from day one you would have one foot out the door.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;115976]Well dam, i guess I got lucky. Good thing Ill upgrade before having to renew.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=water;115977]They also gave me Master 500 GRT Oceans / 6000 OSV initially, until they realized they had made a “clerical error” … :-)[/QUOTE]
Been watching yall go round and round on this issue. I’ll be testing celestial next week towards my 500NC. Crossing my fingers for “clerical errors” on my 3000 osv. The NMC people couldn’t give me a straight answer on this.