Looking into DP opportunities and unlimited vessels

I will be upgrading my license to 3rd mate unlimited with a tonnage restriction. Currently have a 1600 ton master license. One of the upgrade options is to log 12 months of service as able seaman on vessels over 1600 gross tons while holding a license or endorsement as third mate, all tonnage limitations on the third mate’s license or MMC endorsement are removed.

My applicable sea time for the 3rd mate license has been logged as an officer on a 2500 ITC ton foreign-flagged passenger ship.

I am wondering about the route of going as an AB on a DP vessel for one year to (a) get rid of the tonnage restriction and (b) pursue as DP certification. What kind of opportunities are there for a DP operator with a 3rd mate unlimited license? And, any particular companies to recommend or avoid?

Thanks

If you want to get it done quickly check out NOAA. The Dyson class ships are unlimited tonnage ad DP classed.

[QUOTE=PMC;59533] What kind of opportunities are there for a DP operator with a 3rd mate unlimited license? And, any particular companies to recommend or avoid?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

There are many opportunities for a DP Operator with and Unlimited license. You can make as little as 100K with an OSV company to well over 200K working even time overseas with a drilling contractor. Not bad.