Upgarding not sure need help

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;76975]It says he’s worked on yachts. We need to be careful he may know the Flag Officer.[/QUOTE]
I work on yachts too. Don’t hold it against me. Thankfully the guy I worked for would tell a guy like the Flag Officer to go shit in his hat :smiley:

I wish I could be there when someone told him that.

I’m sorry, I read your first post and even that question was not discernable. If that question had been understandable you would have gotten a straight answer. Sea time never expires, you don’t “spend” it on a license. If a license calls for 1440 days that is all sea time ever in your life since you were sixteen.

I am pretty sure that “discernible” is a little out of the ballpark here. Maybe “gettable” is more appropriate!

As a former commercial fisherman, I have a lot of respect for fishermen. Real fishermen. There is a big difference between a “fisherman,” and a guy that is mere going fishing, or went fishing for a couple of seasons. Many of the most worthwhile seamanship skills that I have learned were taught by fishermen who were not much more literate than the OP here. The OP is probably an adequate navigator who can find his way around his local area “by sense of smell” without any electronics. He can undoubtedly tie knots, build nets, splice wire, and fix just about anything on a shrimp boat. A guy that is illiterate had to learn from long experience; he didn’t get it out of a book or on the internet. The OP is a real seaman with real skills that are worthy of respect. That said, it appears that the OP here needs to stay on in his element on his shrimp boat. He just doesn’t look like a good candidate for a USCG license in 2012.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;77311]As a former commercial fisherman, I have a lot of respect for fishermen. Real fishermen. There is a big difference between a “fisherman,” and a guy that is mere going fishing, or went fishing for a couple of seasons. Many of the most worthwhile seamanship skills that I have learned were taught by fishermen who were not much more literate than the OP here. The OP is probably an adequate navigator who can find his way around his local area “by sense of smell” without any electronics. He can undoubtedly tie knots, build nets, splice wire, and fix just about anything on a shrimp boat. A guy that is illiterate had to learn from long experience; he didn’t get it out of a book or on the internet. The OP is a real seaman with real skills that are worthy of respect. That said, it appears that the OP here needs to stay on in his element on his shrimp boat. He just doesn’t look like a good candidate for a USCG license in 2012.[/QUOTE]

If your calling me illiterate , I have an associates degree in buisness. I told you when [B]I[/B] wrote that i had been on the wheel and been working a long time when I am on my off time from my 28 and 14 schedule I run my small shrimpboat or my fathers tug. I really hope you dont give advice often. I have never met so many people that would try and discourage someone from bettering thier self.I have been on boats all my life my whole family does My father is a diver has been for 30 yrs I have worked on his tug and barge since I was a small kid and if I wasnt on there I was on our shrimpboat. I met alot of people in the oil field industry in my short period of three yrs. Never have I heard so many negative discouraging people. I have read some these profiles and saw what boats you have run and have seen some of them in Fourchon and other ports.So some of you do work around me and I have showed you courtesy when you needed me to do some crazy moves on the crewboat i run so it would be easier on you to get to a dock or get in a slip so just remember that the next time you say some crap like this and wonder why you cant get some one to hold up for you the next time you try to back in the haliburton slip or flotation canal and the wind is blowing 40knt and your dp is down and you ar getting blown around and a line of crewboats are coming out and if just one of them would hold up for five minutes to let you catch line would really help you . Well it wont be me I used to but after these conversations I see what kind of respect you people have for people with smaller license

Red- It’s your grammar and spelling that confounds us.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you know your shit.
You just aren’t any good at putting your thoughts in writing.

A man needs to know his limitations, you are limited in your writing skills.
It’s not that big of a deal.

Take your post from above and copy it into MS Word and do a grammar and spelling check,
you’ll see what I mean.

I understand from your earlier post that you have /are upgrading your license…great!
That means you don’t have a reading comprehension problem,
so don’t read this as something it isn’t.

If you had written your original post like your last reply in a well thought out manner, with correct words, with the full amount of info. Well you see where I’m going here?

Here’s a thought for ya. Show your original post to someone else. Someone who doesn’t know your situation. Then let them read it. Then ask them what you were asking. Our reading and ability to decipher us limited by NOT being able to talk live with you. This means (as on all internet forums) that correct information and this means full information be given.

Yes. There is that about the 100 ton license thing. I had one. Then I had a 200. Then I got a 1600. You may get one too. But unless you write in a clear, concise fashion when asking for help don’t be surprised if the answer isn’t what you were hoping for.

Capt. Red , don’t take it personally! There’s 4 or five guys( critics) on this site that spend more time on g capt. than they do in the real world. As if someone is twisting their arm to reply to every fucking question on here. I’d rather hear the same stupid question asked over and over again than hear super capt. Extraordinaire bitch and moan! Ps if I spelled anything wrong im on an I phone and really don’t give a shit!

As in the answers given when you dragged anchor in Bay Ridge? Both of these are fine examples of an individual NOT understanding both what they are asking for and what is being offered for advice. Yada yada yada.
I bet you haven’t even read a Chapman’s yet have you? Go to a bookstore peek through one. Go to the anchoring section. You don’t even have to buy it!

Such thin skin. You shouldn’t take it so personally. People on this forum just like to fuck with other people. Just because you are mentally handicapped, does not make you a poor boat driver. You probably CAN get a big license, as they do give verbal assistance when needed. Good luck out there Forrest.

[QUOTE=capt. red;77352]If your calling me illiterate , I have an associates degree in buisness. I told you when [B]I[/B] wrote that i had been on the wheel and been working a long time when I am on my off time from my 28 and 14 schedule I run my small shrimpboat or my fathers tug. I really hope you dont give advice often. I have never met so many people that would try and discourage someone from bettering thier self.I have been on boats all my life my whole family does My father is a diver has been for 30 yrs I have worked on his tug and barge since I was a small kid and if I wasnt on there I was on our shrimpboat. I met alot of people in the oil field industry in my short period of three yrs. Never have I heard so many negative discouraging people. I have read some these profiles and saw what boats you have run and have seen some of them in Fourchon and other ports.So some of you do work around me and I have showed you courtesy when you needed me to do some crazy moves on the crewboat i run so it would be easier on you to get to a dock or get in a slip so just remember that the next time you say some crap like this and wonder why you cant get some one to hold up for you the next time you try to back in the haliburton slip or flotation canal and the wind is blowing 40knt and your dp is down and you ar getting blown around and a line of crewboats are coming out and if just one of them would hold up for five minutes to let you catch line would really help you . Well it wont be me I used to but after these conversations I see what kind of respect you people have for people with smaller license[/QUOTE]

Why don’t we just close this one out now. This has gone far enough. Everyone’s had their fair share.

Evr sense I tuk the evelyn woodhead sped ridden corse my riddn has improvd 100 percent and comprension.

It’s not the READING, it’s the WRITING that was the issue. But really, we’ve beaten the dead horse here already. Give it up man.