Unusual Situation in NC

My friend took Oral Exam for Class 3 certificate last month. The question from the examiner was “Your vsl proceeding along the coast of NC, and meet a Trawler hauling net (with net extending more than 150m), what’s your action?”

I would like to ask for your opinion for the correct answer. My friend failed for this question and have to retake next month, but this question will be asked again.

Obviously, the trawler has the right of way. You are on the give-way vessel and your duty is to stay well clear of the trawler.

[QUOTE=siquenai180;154995]My friend took Oral Exam for Class 3 certificate last month. The question from the examiner was “Your vsl proceeding along the coast of NC, and meet a Trawler hauling net (with net extending more than 150m), what’s your action?”[/QUOTE]

interrogatory to clarify your request…

what are you talking about? the state of North Carolina?

What the FUCK are you talking about!

i assumed he meant New Caladonia. but it doesn’t matter. the answer is the same anywhere. its a good thing the MCA gives oral examss, and that his friend failed.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;155001]Obviously, the trawler has the right of way. You are on the give-way vessel and your duty is to stay well clear of the trawler.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=c.captain;155039]interrogatory to clarify your request…

what are you talking about? the state of North Carolina?

What the FUCK are you talking about![/QUOTE]

It’s Narrow Channel sir.

Vessel engaged in fishing has the right of way unless rules 9, 10, and 13 otherwise require. See COLREGS rule 18.

[QUOTE=siquenai180;155188]It’s Narrow Channel sir.[/QUOTE]

“Proceeding along the COAST of NC” Is how you attempted to communicate “narrow channel” ? I am sorry, obviously English is not your first language.

In practice, a trawler that is in the process of hauling (heaving in) a net that is 150 meters long, is going to have limited ability to maneuver and this would be a good time to establish communications on the VHF. The trawler may be able to slowly move toward the side of the channel, or it may not be able to do so.

If the trawler exhibits the lights or shapes for a vessel Restricted in Ability to Maneuver, or otherwise communicates that it is restricted in ability to maneuver, then it has the right of way. It seems to me that if you can observe that the trawler is restricted in ability to maneuver, then it should be treated as such. Again, try the VHF

[QUOTE=tugsailor;155209]“Proceeding along the COAST of NC” Is how you attempted to communicate “narrow channel” ? I am sorry, obviously English is not your first language.

In practice, a trawler that is in the process of hauling (heaving in) a net that is 150 meters long, is going to have limited ability to maneuver and this would be a good time to establish communications on the VHF. The trawler may be able to slowly move toward the side of the channel, or it may not be able to do so.

If the trawler exhibits the lights or shapes for a vessel Restricted in Ability to Maneuver, or otherwise communicates that it is restricted in ability to maneuver, then it has the right of way. It seems to me that if you can observe that the trawler is restricted in ability to maneuver, then it should be treated as such. Again, try the VHF[/QUOTE]

Sorry Sir, it should have been “course”.
And your answer is totally helpful. Thank you Sir.