Narrow Channel Situations

1. NUC on your starboard bow in Narrow Channel, your action?

2.A Trawler with hauling nets on your starboard bow in Narrow Channel, and her nets come fast to an obstruction suddenly, your action?

Please discuss these matter.

Read the colregs and do your own fucking homework.

1. go slow astern on port engine. then left 15 deg rudder. when time permits make pan pan call on vhf ch 11.

2. go slow astern on both engines. walk stbd anchor to waters edge. hail fishing vessel on vhf ch 71. shoot off 2 green star signals. contact COTP via cell phone.

When in danger
When in doubt
Run in circles
Scream and shout.

Full panic mode. Run around and yell and scream at the deckhands. Wake the captain up with a panicked rambling sentence. Go hide in the head until the coast is clear.

Taking the simulator training for Crowley it sounds like to me.

in case of NUC, suspect it is a ploy to expose yourself unprepared for action, ring General Quarters, have all deck guns loaded with H/E rounds, call Admiral Halsey on secure comsat line and notify him you are engaging unfriendlies ahead, sink suspect ship with full salvos, take survivors aboard for interrogation, kill survivors when they have divulged location of Al Qaeda sleeper cells, apply for commendations for everybody, retire and go to work for Northrup Grumman at high six figure salary

in case of trawler, steal catch and have a nice BBQ on the fantail

In both situations what type of vessel are we. Do we just assume we’re a PDV with nothing special.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;155044]In both situations what type of vessel are we. Do we just assume we’re a PDV with nothing special.[/QUOTE]

Hvar fi faen hellvete! PDV? Is that a Personal Drinking Vessel?

Yes I have one, made of fiberglass and I like to also catch fish on it. Money pit though.

Hell yea it is. What did you think I meant. We always keep it fully stocked!

There have been some who have been critical of gCaptain for posting this thread to our Facebook page so I figured I’d address that…

Firstly, the initial question gave no indication that the person who posted the question done any research on the issue or had any specific purpose for the question itself other than to try and incite discussion. Had this person provided some background information as to why this was an important question to him/her and what their personal analysis of the answer was, then I guarantee you the ensuing comments would have looked a lot different.

By and large the gCaptain community helps each other out when they can, and will most definitely turn into the most hard core group of sea lawyers you’ve ever seen, but when it comes to ensuring a thought response is given, a thoughtful question MUST be asked. Otherwise, all bets are off.

I highlighted this thread because I thought the responses were very creative and frankly quite amusing.

[QUOTE=Tugted;155035]Taking the simulator training for Crowley it sounds like to me.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone applying for a document in a country where they don’t let you take a commercial school course and don’t give multiple choice tests where the Q&As are all on the internet, and you have to sit in front of an experienced examiner and prove you know your stuff.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;155116]Sounds like someone applying for a document in a country where they don’t let you take a commercial school course and don’t give multiple choice tests where the Q&As are all on the internet, and you have to sit in front of an experienced examiner and prove you know your stuff.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;155044]In both situations what type of vessel are we. Do we just assume we’re a PDV with nothing special.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is a power driven vessel. The examiner didn’t give any specific information for other vessel.