Union halls

So for all the union guys, how long did you have to wait in the halls before landing your fist job?

Zero. But times were good back then. None of this 9% unemployment making a mess of things. You can’t compare the waiting you may be doing now to the waiting we did years ago.

Yeah I hear ya, my buddy is in the sup he waited about six weeks so hopefully I wouldn’t be longer than that but I will see hopefully if everything works out.

Longest I ever waited was 5 days. I wasn’t picky when shipping out of the hall. Now I have a perm job and don’t hang out in the hall much. Last time I was in there though they couldn’t fill some good jobs. Right now shipping is good. This is for the MEBA

Yeah I dont plan on being picky at all, just trying to get an idea from those with experiance. I’m just getting into this I go in to get my twic on wed and have my stcw trainin in a week. I’ve been a carpenter for 16+ years , but have also worked on fishing boats and spent a lot of my life on the water. Please excuse my stupid questions as I’m sure I’ll have a lot of them for you guys.

For my first try I went to the union hall in fortlauderdale, fl . I was talking to the about joining he then replied that its impossible and if I did join to get used to the program that was on t.v " judge judy" meaning i was going to be there for a long time… anyone here currently at the s.florida hall? coming from downtown miami all the way to the union hall is one hell of a drive especially if i have to be there few times a week hoping to find work. which brings to me is it worth plus having to pay the $350 for physical, drug test and having to drive there with the high gas prices. compared to trying to just fax applications to companies online. btw I am goin toward wiper would like to know how things work, but aint picky either.

Can anyone explain why there are union halls with people waiting in them at all in this day and age? Everything could be done online, by twitter or email. I just can’t see the sense of anyone hanging around except for swapping tales. It could be done internationally, nationally or by region. I realize seniority bears a major role here, but surely someone can figure this all out!

Fairness. If everyone that wants work is there and can see what is available and who gets it then no one can complain about favortism. I heard that was a major issue with AMO. No halls, just wait for a phone call. If the people in the office didn’t like you you didn’t get jobs, or you got the shit jobs. The way to ensure fairness is openness, ie sitting in the hall and seeing who is there, who had what seniority over you, etc.

I called a company. I was told they didn’t hire except through the hall. W
hen I met the HR guy, He looked at me, and said: I will be calling the Philly hall at three oclock looking for an A.B. Tankerman.

I drove like batshit to Philly, was waiting in the hall at exactly 2:45. At three the phone rang, and I was the only one there. Guess who got a job. All the guys had left for the day figuring that when the doors closed at 3:30 all hope was gone.

The moral of the story, listen VERY carefully to what is said, Kick yourself in the ass (and stop griping about spending a tank of gas to get a 60,000 dollar a year job) and do what it takes. And most importantly don’t give up. It may take some time, but eventually you will land a job.

Of course the era is different, but I did this in 1980, when times were tough, ships were a dying breed, and tugboat jobs were sneered at. Things change.

At least I know the guy getting the job has all the paperwork in order. Also when at the hall you can’t pass the $100 bill to the dispatcher in order to get your name on the call list

[QUOTE=cappy208;53010]I called a company. I was told they didn’t hire except through the hall. W
hen I met the HR guy, He looked at me, and said: I will be calling the Philly hall at three oclock looking for an A.B. Tankerman.

I drove like batshit to Philly, was waiting in the hall at exactly 2:45. At three the phone rang, and I was the only one there. Guess who got a job. All the guys had left for the day figuring that when the doors closed at 3:30 all hope was gone.

The moral of the story, listen VERY carefully to what is said, Kick yourself in the ass (and stop griping about spending a tank of gas to get a 60,000 dollar a year job) and do what it takes. And most importantly don’t give up. It may take some time, but eventually you will land a job.

Of course the era is different, but I did this in 1980, when times were tough, ships were a dying breed, and tugboat jobs were sneered at. Things change.[/QUOTE]

I had a very similar experience getting an AB gig with Maritrans in 2001… A friend of friend at the company called in the job at 0730 on a saturday.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;53009]Fairness. If everyone that wants work is there and can see what is available and who gets it then no one can complain about favortism. I heard that was a major issue with AMO. No halls, just wait for a phone call. If the people in the office didn’t like you you didn’t get jobs, or you got the shit jobs. The way to ensure fairness is openness, ie sitting in the hall and seeing who is there, who had what seniority over you, etc.[/QUOTE]

I still have to believe that there is a way online - in these days of WOOT! and complex airline reservations, I can’t believe that a fair way can’t be found. I appreciate the “being there” importance of interest, but come on, folks, this is the 21st Century and EVERYONE has a cellphone and works online. You fly from NY or Norfolk or Seattle to rendezvous with a ship, so why should it be that you happened to be in Philly at 3:00? Just asking.

It’s why I never joined SIU

[QUOTE=weski;53165]… so why should it be that you happened to be in Philly at 3:00? Just asking.[/QUOTE]

Because the prudent mariner knows that often the guys who got the dispatch don’t make it through the sign on physical or maybe just changed their mind for some reason.

That and who knows what goes open on the West Coast? If you are really looking for work, remember that saying about when you get to the end of your rope grab the end and hang on. Hanging out in the hall until the last possible chance is gone puts you ahead of most of the competition.

[QUOTE=Steamer;53170] Hanging out in the hall until the last possible chance is gone puts you ahead of most of the competition.[/QUOTE]

That is true I have done jobs that by showing interest and showing up shows that u are really into the job, or maybe there annoyed seeing u. nah j/k but I am going to stick with siu to start out with. For a second I was thinking amo but I rather be in the hall talking with other with experience…