Understanding Filipino Seaman - Do you know the book?

<font size=2>
<P>Hi everybody, <br><br>my name is Thomas, i am doing a survey for a german publisher about the following book: <br><br>"<STRONG>Understanding the Filipino Seaman - His Values, Attitude and Behaviour</STRONG>" <br>written by Thomas D. Andres. <br>It is a guide on the filipino seaman and how he is to work with. <br><br>I want to find out: <br>Has anybody (Captains/Officers) read this book? <br>Have you heard of it? <br>Did you find it useful in your work onboard a ship? <br><br>I would be grateful for any answers! <br>Thanks and regards <br>Thomas</P></font>

No, I’ve never actually heard of this publication but it should be required reading for MSC officers

Nope never heard of it Thomas.

Never heard of the book, but I have sailed with Filipino Seaman and if the book is accurate it would be useful to the uninitiated.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]I do not like the wording, understanding the Filipino seafarer. We got good and bad seafarer, never mind if Filipino, Russian, Chinese, Burmese or even Martian. To put it very clear, nowadays structure on a vessel, ISM Code, simply does not leave any space for national behavior, traditions, advantages or disadvantages.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]This book is sold in different versions. Ok, meanwhile we got the seafarer version. Written by a Filipino to make us understand Filipino history, behavior and tradition. On a vessel today everybody to do his job. People to work today like the ISM robots. No space for things like Filipino time, Filipino “lagay” traditions, no time for Filipino customs and family traditions, also no Taglish – English please. Chief is still chief and not sheep. Those from the South eventually can speak English, why exemptions for those from the national capital region? As written by a Filipino also for example not a single word about that very famous stinky fish, some dried fish, they do love it, when in the frying pan for our side however definitely something which with some respect should have been included in the Geneva Convention as poison gas.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]The absolute only consideration which could be given is rather religious in nature. Company may buy for them the replica of some of their Saints like Sto Nino place it in the mess room. Would cost the company perhaps 50$ and certainly better invested than buying such a book.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]When you do see a Filipino seafarer coming on board, long hairs, looking like a pirate, first thing he does is getting dressed out engine room rags box, next without that you told him anything you note him working already, you can bet that you may consider yourself extremely lucky, you got one of the very good ones.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]Unfortunately owners never can get enough cheap crew. You nowadays may also meet those, short cut hair, uniform boiler suit, mostly yellow, most English they know is “yes sir”, without even having understood what you had been saying, very first thing they do on a vessel is to fill their tummy with a lot of rice and chicken like not fed since a couple of years, well, I guess a pretty good chance that you may consider yourself as not so lucky. From this point you may note, that we do have nowadays far other problems, in specific the one of being not so lucky. Not that I claim the content of this book any wrong, on a ship there is today simply no time and space for such.<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]

Huh?

I’ve never heard of the book either. I had a Filipino Crew when I went to Israel. I found them to be excellent seamen. Very professional and thrived on their work. Holy Moly though! When I moored in Ashdod, they were chomping at the bit to go to Jerusalem. They went, but I was concerned because at the time the Gaza strip was especially active. Fortunately, their was no incidents and everything was fine. Now, I know that was off topic but a good short comment.

<meta http-equiv=“CONTENT-TYPE” content="text/html; charset=utf-8]<title></title><meta name=“GENERATOR” content="OpenOffice.org 2.3 (Linux)]

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]When you do an Internet research about
the author you will note that there are several books, the Filipino,
the Filipino worker, thought I had seen also Filipino IT worker, ok
now also the seafarer. In some respect, I wouldn’t know why Filipino
seafarers so different from workers or other countrymen that a
separate book required. Got the funny feeling that this basically the
same book, just a different cover.

Hi,<br><br>I’ve read the book a few years back. OK it does tell you about the Filipinos, their habits, nature and a little bit about their country. But I see no practical use of it. With the multi national nature of shipping, we see a myriad of nationalities on ships these days. Now if I have to read a book about each and every one of them, I do not know where it will end. <br><br>The Filipinos are great to work with. They are professional seafarer’s. How any crew works depends on how they are managed. i.e., how the Chief Mate or 2nd Engineer manages them.

hi!

may i know what is the picture of Thomas D. Andres?
please…

thanks

Never read it. Never heard of it.

If you’re nice to the Filipinos, they’ll do anything for you. If you’re an ass, they won’t do shit for you. When they get to the States, they LOVE to go to Walmart and Kmart, and Best Buy if there’s one close by.

I just got off a ship with Filipino crew - the guys are on 6 month contracts, with maybe 2 months of vacation before they do it all over again. I was shocked when I found out how little they get paid - but it’s a lot to them. The best advice I have is what I started with - be nice to them, and they’ll do anything for you. Piss them off, and nothing will get done.

Try to ask one to do an important tank switch on an oil-tanker. Very hard to understand a lot of Filipinos on the radio. Dangerous sometimes.

Has anybody (Captains/Officers) read this book? … Yes
Have you heard of it? … .Yes
Did you find it useful in your work onboard a ship? Yes

After having worked with Filipino officers and crew for about 15 years, I recently chanced upon this book. Excellent stuff - very thin (about 20 pages) - I had learnt most of the stuff given in it by trial, error and experience.

As I read thru it, I could slowly figure out the reasons behind things that I knew about Filipinos.

And yes - there were a thing or 2 new that I learnt.

We now gift it to all officers of our company - especially Chiefs and Masters. Especially Europeans and Americans.

Here are it’s Contents:~ Preface~ Acknowledgements~ I. Understanding the culture, Personality Traits. And Characteristics of Filipino Seamen,~ II. The importance of religion of Filipinos~ III. Dietary Requirements~ IV. Understanding the Filipinno Male Environment, attitudes to drink/ Drug usage and social Habits~ V. How to make the Filipino Tick and Click~ VI. Communicating Effectively with Filipinos~ VII. How to Motivate and bring out the best in Filipino~ VIII. How to Negotiate and handle conflicts with Filipinos~ IX. Do’s and Don’t’s with Filipinos~

[QUOTE=jollyroger;1307]<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]I do not like the wording, understanding the Filipino seafarer. We got good and bad seafarer, never mind if Filipino, Russian, Chinese, Burmese or even Martian. To put it very clear, nowadays structure on a vessel, ISM Code, simply does not leave any space for national behavior, traditions, advantages or disadvantages.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]This book is sold in different versions. Ok, meanwhile we got the seafarer version. Written by a Filipino to make us understand Filipino history, behavior and tradition. On a vessel today everybody to do his job. People to work today like the ISM robots. No space for things like Filipino time, Filipino “lagay” traditions, no time for Filipino customs and family traditions, also no Taglish – English please. Chief is still chief and not sheep. Those from the South eventually can speak English, why exemptions for those from the national capital region? As written by a Filipino also for example not a single word about that very famous stinky fish, some dried fish, they do love it, when in the frying pan for our side however definitely something which with some respect should have been included in the Geneva Convention as poison gas.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]The absolute only consideration which could be given is rather religious in nature. Company may buy for them the replica of some of their Saints like Sto Nino place it in the mess room. Would cost the company perhaps 50$ and certainly better invested than buying such a book.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]When you do see a Filipino seafarer coming on board, long hairs, looking like a pirate, first thing he does is getting dressed out engine room rags box, next without that you told him anything you note him working already, you can bet that you may consider yourself extremely lucky, you got one of the very good ones.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;]Unfortunately owners never can get enough cheap crew. You nowadays may also meet those, short cut hair, uniform boiler suit, mostly yellow, most English they know is “yes sir”, without even having understood what you had been saying, very first thing they do on a vessel is to fill their tummy with a lot of rice and chicken like not fed since a couple of years, well, I guess a pretty good chance that you may consider yourself as not so lucky. From this point you may note, that we do have nowadays far other problems, in specific the one of being not so lucky. Not that I claim the content of this book any wrong, on a ship there is today simply no time and space for such.<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;][/QUOTE]

Hmmm, there’s plenty hints of racism here pal. Might be that you were out-smarted by one of those little fellows?