Two questions

First question is if you miss a call back from a company is that it? Missed your turn end all be all of it or is there a way to salvage it?Also how does one thank a post? I have tried to do a search on that but there is some excellent advice in here and I have seen that others have thanked such and such but I can’t seem to figure that one out any help?

ok figured out the thanking thing lol

It sure is a good thing I enjoy talking to myself :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Friar;78991]It sure is a good thing I enjoy talking to myself :)[/QUOTE]

Talking to yourself is OK

Asking yourself questions is OK

Arguing with yourself is OK

If you lose the argument, then I might be a little concerned!

It’s why many of us are out here…

[QUOTE=Friar;78657]First question is if you miss a call back from a company is that it? Missed your turn end all be all of it or is there a way to salvage it?Also how does one thank a post? I have tried to do a search on that but there is some excellent advice in here and I have seen that others have thanked such and such but I can’t seem to figure that one out any help?[/QUOTE]

How long ago was the missed call, and what position are you applying for.

An entry level position is alot tougher, because a green deckhand is most likely no better than most other green deckhands. If you have years of experience, that may be a different story. If a employer needs a 1600 mate, and you fit his needs you may still be in luck.

Was this missed call because you were in the bathroom, or mowing the grass and did not hear the phone ring? Or last month while you and the boys were in Cancun partying and you just got back into the country.

Try to call them back if it was recent, you have very little to lose. The worst they can do is tell you no, you are to late.

This brings up a good question I’ve had for a while. What do y’all do when shipping out, do you adjust your message to indicate your at sea? I’m not really sure I want to advertise my wife and kids are home without me. Would it be bad form to encourage the caller to contact your email address?

I would simply have on voicemail (assuming its a cellphone you are talking about) that being reached by phone is not possible at the moment, but you check your email several times per day. Nobody needs to know you are out of town, other than your family.

I would think an email address for a point of contact isn’t bad form, but a failure to reply in a timely manner certainly is.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;79000]How long ago was the missed call, and what position are you applying for.

An entry level position is alot tougher, because a green deckhand is most likely no better than most other green deckhands. If you have years of experience, that may be a different story. If a employer needs a 1600 mate, and you fit his needs you may still be in luck.

Was this missed call because you were in the bathroom, or mowing the grass and did not hear the phone ring? Or last month while you and the boys were in Cancun partying and you just got back into the country.

Try to call them back if it was recent, you have very little to lose. The worst they can do is tell you no, you are to late.[/QUOTE]
I missed the call by an hour… I was at work and they kinda frown on cell phone usage as well. I tried calling back then and for a few days afterward, but only intermittently. Still trying to discern the fine line between persistent and pest( don’t want to burn any bridges) I’ll be the first to admit in this industry I’m greener than Kermit the Frog but I have other background behind me that I think would prove valuable or at the very least as an asset. To paraphrase Smee in another post I want to be the best deckhand I can be or wiper. My interest lay in every aspect of the boat. I’m familiar with mechanics and electrical and several other areas. And I’m also a professional chef, I think the crew would appreciate that more than the company but still. Either way no matter how many messages I left I received no reply. In an ironic twist I found out on this forum actually that the position I was aiming for was grabbed up by another young man. I had missed the call on Tuesday and I saw on Wednesday in a post by Chateau on the Bayou that a fella got picked up for wiper with ECO. That’s the position I had shot for and gotten a call back but I guess it was an error.To be honest I was really happy to even have that accidental call. For the most part I have done everything in the Read this First post(of epicness) the only thing is that I haven’t been able to do the door knocking more than once due to obligations. I’ve requested some schedule changes and I might be able to increase some door knocking but I need to work out the economics of it. When I’ve put my mind to it I’ve accomplished it. I was a Marine at 16, I wanted to be a Harley mechanic,pulled that off in '96. That didn’t pan out(no Harley pun intended) so I became a professional Chef. Something now is telling me to be a Mariner, and I’m going to be. Just need to be patient and persistent and courteous and find someone that will throw a bone to a green horn. I got friends in TX that are still in the job, hell one of them just got back from Moscow. FIL just got off a job from over there as well. I want to be the best deckhand or wiper I can be.I want to know everything I can about the boat and the ropes and everything. I want to make whatever boat I am on the best boat out there. I want to help and keep the crew more than well fed. My FIL gave me some books on knots to start practicing. Been really diggin that and especially getting into the more decorative ones. Just finished a 5 strand star knot… Not good for much more than lookin at but it’s historical lost art artisan stuff like that that I really dig. Sorry for babblin on, just got off work and windin down.

Being green to the industry will make your first job the hardest one to land. Prior military experience, being a mechanic, and a chef are all good things to put on a application, unfourtanatly there are about 1000 other guys just like you chasing the same job. A good work history is very important, along with being respectful and willing to listen and learn. You can keep trying to call, and fill out online apps, but as many people have stated your best bet is going to be knocking on doors. Alot of times a green deck hand will get the job for no other reason then he just happened to be the guy standing there when they needed a warm body. Or maybe the first one to answer the phone. Keep trying, don’t be discourged, it has took several people 6 months or more to finally make the deal happen, you just have to be persistant.

Read back through Crawdaddy post’s and see how long he tried, he finally got his spot because he kept trying and didn’t give up.

What part of Florida are you in, there are some small operations around jacksonville, and Tampa both, have you tried any of them?

You should get your TWIC card, MMC, and passport as soon as possible. Take a BST course if you can. I would think that the chef experience might really help you.

Got my TWIC and MMC and a passport but it’s expired. I just sent it off to have it renewed. Waiting for them to issue it. Been trying to wrap my noggin about how I can get my STCW95. Might have to coordinate some vacation time around one of the class times maybe. Appreciate y’alls advice. I have been catching up on Rebel Rider’s and Crawdaddy’s posts. Very glad for them that they found work! I understand it takes time, actually was really very please at just getting A callback. I just think it’s a bit frustrating wondering. One more call saying sorry nope someone else got it seems like a simple courtesy to me. And I completely understand that they’re crazy busy. IDK.Not giving up though. I have a feeling this is gonna work out just the way it’s supposed to, just got to be as you said persistent and patient.

[QUOTE=Friar;79034]I missed the call by an hour… I was at work and they kinda frown on cell phone usage as well. I tried calling back then and for a few days afterward, but only intermittently. Still trying to discern the fine line between persistent and pest( don’t want to burn any bridges) I’ll be the first to admit in this industry I’m greener than Kermit the Frog but I have other background behind me that I think would prove valuable or at the very least as an asset. To paraphrase Smee in another post I want to be the best deckhand I can be or wiper. My interest lay in every aspect of the boat. I’m familiar with mechanics and electrical and several other areas. And I’m also a professional chef, I think the crew would appreciate that more than the company but still. Either way no matter how many messages I left I received no reply. In an ironic twist I found out on this forum actually that the position I was aiming for was grabbed up by another young man. I had missed the call on Tuesday and I saw on Wednesday in a post by Chateau on the Bayou that a fella got picked up for wiper with ECO. That’s the position I had shot for and gotten a call back but I guess it was an error.To be honest I was really happy to even have that accidental call. For the most part I have done everything in the Read this First post(of epicness) the only thing is that I haven’t been able to do the door knocking more than once due to obligations. I’ve requested some schedule changes and I might be able to increase some door knocking but I need to work out the economics of it. When I’ve put my mind to it I’ve accomplished it. I was a Marine at 16, I wanted to be a Harley mechanic,pulled that off in '96. That didn’t pan out(no Harley pun intended) so I became a professional Chef. Something now is telling me to be a Mariner, and I’m going to be. Just need to be patient and persistent and courteous and find someone that will throw a bone to a green horn. I got friends in TX that are still in the job, hell one of them just got back from Moscow. FIL just got off a job from over there as well. I want to be the best deckhand or wiper I can be.I want to know everything I can about the boat and the ropes and everything. I want to make whatever boat I am on the best boat out there. I want to help and keep the crew more than well fed. My FIL gave me some books on knots to start practicing. Been really diggin that and especially getting into the more decorative ones. Just finished a 5 strand star knot… Not good for much more than lookin at but it’s historical lost art artisan stuff like that that I really dig. Sorry for babblin on, just got off work and windin down.[/QUOTE]

Friar,
I wouldn’t assume that the Wiper job the guy just got at ECO, while staying at my B&B, was necessarily the same job you missed out on.
This guy came down here a few months ago to take the STCW class.
While here, he went to ECO and met with Nicky regarding this job.
So, actually, he was pretty much assured of getting it this week.
He is a qualified motorcycle mechanic that has a degree and past experience of 10 years in the field.
My understanding is that they are still in need of qualified mechanics and Wipers.
Do what you can to make it happen.
If I can be of help to you please PM, email me at claudettelp@charter.net or call me at (985)537-6773
Best wishes to all of you.
Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou B&B
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
Website; http://www.achateauonthebayou.com
FB : https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Chateau-On-The-Bayou-Bed-Breakfast-Claudette-L-Pitre/121896531157165

Thanks Miss Claudette I will probably take you up on that. And I don’t think he got the one aimed for it’s just coincidental. So with the apps I have out how often should I call to check on them? Where would y’all say the line between professionally persistant and pest is drawn?

@Chief Rob- no sir I really haven’t looked at any of the smaller operations. Mostly because they’re a bit more difficult to find. I had read on here somewhere about finding an operation that DOESN’T have a website and getting on with them first would be a good way to go and get time in. My obligations kind of make this traansition that I am trying to do a little more difficult also. Trying really hard to not burn any bridges and still get what I want. I know that sounds like I want my cake and eat it too kind of thing but I really want to change my life but I don’t want anyone getting hurt in the process, if that makes sense. In that respect that’s something that weighs upon my mind in this in that some have said that they want your bags packed and your wheels up in an hour. I can’t really do that to these folk. They’ve been really good to me and mine and I’m gonna need some time to extract myself from here. Just practicing the patience and keeping my eyes ears and nose open and my phone in my pocket :wink:

Called them one more time this morning just to check and actually got to talk to Miss Reed. Seems that two boats just came off charter so they’re not looking for anything right now but told me to check back again. Also reiterated about getting my STCW. Gonna have to do some funky juggling to get that one I think. I’ve goggled for some schools for the class is there any particular one I should look for or ones I should stay away from?

[QUOTE=Friar;79296]Called them one more time this morning just to check and actually got to talk to Miss Reed. Seems that two boats just came off charter so they’re not looking for anything right now but told me to check back again. Also reiterated about getting my STCW. Gonna have to do some funky juggling to get that one I think. I’ve goggled for some schools for the class is there any particular one I should look for or ones I should stay away from?[/QUOTE]

Try Sea School in Bayou LaBatre Al. they have a decent price with a decent class, they provide a room, and feed you while there.

You might also try Fletcher in Houma, Ms. Claudette at the “chateau on the bayou” can probably hook you up with that one.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;79306]Try Sea School in Bayou LaBatre Al. they have a decent price with a decent class, they provide a room, and feed you while there.

You might also try Fletcher in Houma, Ms. Claudette at the “chateau on the bayou” can probably hook you up with that one.[/QUOTE]

Yes I was in ECO this afternoon and was told the same thing about the two boats tied up. Was also told that Fletcher’s 8/27 STCW course is filled.

Depending on where you live in Florida, try MPT in Lauderdale. I believe they offer BST every week. I want to say it cost around $800-900 but its been a while. I have taken several class there and would go back, however Fletcher is signifently cheaper if your in the area i.e. looking for work.

What’s the Sea School price in BLB, anyone know?

Delgado College has STCW started today, next one is Wed-Sunday Sept5. Price is $795 (correction, Thursday-Monday Sept6)