TWIC vs TSA

Every time I try to use a TWIC card at Newark or Tampa, the TSA screener sends me to the naughty box for further examination. I gotta tell ya, I’m kinda looking forward to this new pat down stuff. After being away from home for so long it’s kinda like foreplay or a pre game warm up for Little Willy and the Twins. Now if I can just get that damm dog Jody to stop drinking my beer and sleeping in my bed while I’m gone.

Salt thats my whole problem with the TWIC stuff. All a foreign national needs is a letter from his government saying he’s a fine upstanding person. Just doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in me considering that all one would need is a few official portraits of Ben Franklin to secure one of those letters from certain government.

EbbTide talented dog you got there, you sure he doesn’t walk on two legs and respond to the name Juan the pool boy?

I’ve had my TWERP (Transportation Worker Extra Redundant Piece of Plastic) for two years now. Great Lakes ports DO require us to show it when we enter or leave. MMC or MMD no good. I have used it at airports three different times and three times the flunky wouldn’t accept it. the first time I almost blew up. I was very sarcastic when I said, “You won’t accept a TSA ID?” I now respond with three little words, “Get your supervisor”. The head flunky has seen fit to accept it all three times so far.

Here is the latest news from that Somali punk that wanted to detonate a bomb in Portland, OR while they did the annual Xmas Tree ceremony:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101206/ap_on_re_us/us_portland_car_bomb_plot

"Mohamud was capable of subterfuge, but still shockingly innocent. When he wanted to board a flight to Alaska in June 2010 he was turned away and interviewed by the FBI. In that interview with FBI agents, he mentioned his friend in Pakistan by name. [B]He said he was going to Alaska for a summer fishing job[/B], but also said he had wanted to go to Yemen. Federal officials have not said how Mohamud got onto the no-fly list. "

At least he was on the “no-fly” list. But as I said, the commercial fishing industry in Alaska is chock full of these guys as well as Muslims from other countries being employed as seafood processors.

Easy to imagine some of these guys might just keep their mouth’s shut and then actually carry out something… Again.

We give these people visas and safe refuge in the USA and this is the thanks we get.

[QUOTE=Steamer;44240]It seems the TWIC is no longer shown on their list of approved government issued photo IDs.[/QUOTE]

I keep the prohibited items and approved ID lists from the TSA website bookmarked on my phone and usually double check them before I walk in the door to the airport. I flew on 11/25 and used my TWIC at Newark without issue, which has not always been the case. It was not on their list of approved ID’s for about a year, on again off again type of situation, but as of that date it was back on.

A couple of months ago a guy came out and asked for a light, said they confiscated his lighter. If you listen to their video while waiting in the security line it states that lighters are prohibited items. ‘Bic’ type lighters have been on the approved list for over 2 years now.

I’m looking forward to the day I need to fly with my PFD containing the CO2 charge for inflation. They are on the approved list including 2 extra cartridges when used for life saving apparatus. We’ll see how that goes. I’m supposed to fly on 12/29, I may bring it home this time just to see how it goes. I’m not letting them confiscate something I paid $260 for when it’s on their approved list.

The TWIC is worthless if/until they get readers installed and ACTUALLY use them.

Let’s also not forget the baggage handlers and support personnel. It is not an extensive background check and these people do not going through any screening equipment when they come in for work.

[QUOTE=Cal;44557]I’m looking forward to the day I need to fly with my PFD containing the CO2 charge for inflation. They are on the approved list including 2 extra cartridges when used for life saving apparatus. We’ll see how that goes. I’m supposed to fly on 12/29, I may bring it home this time just to see how it goes. I’m not letting them confiscate something I paid $260 for when it’s on their approved list. [/QUOTE]

I tried flying to work with my fancy new Type V inflatable pfd. What a joke. The airline had no idea what their policy was or how to find out. The TSA supervisor did not know what the CFRs were when I showed the CFR reference that is in the manual that comes with the pfd. In the end, I was told by the airline and TSA that I could not travel with my pfd. Had I not asked while checking my bags, my pfd could have been removed from my checked baggage and destroyed by the TSA.

Incidentally, both the TSA supervisor and the airline personnel were very helpful and spent over an hour on this. They all made several phone calls and did try to resolve the issue to my satisfaction while being polite and professional.

You should begin contacting the airline and TSA right now to get their policies in writing because no one at the airport will be able to help you. Good luck.

[QUOTE=DPWinter;44683]I tried flying to work with my fancy new Type V inflatable pfd. What a joke. The airline had no idea what their policy was or how to find out. The TSA supervisor did not know what the CFRs were when I showed the CFR reference that is in the manual that comes with the pfd. In the end, I was told by the airline and TSA that I could not travel with my pfd. Had I not asked while checking my bags, my pfd could have been removed from my checked baggage and destroyed by the TSA.

Incidentally, both the TSA supervisor and the airline personnel were very helpful and spent over an hour on this. They all made several phone calls and did try to resolve the issue to my satisfaction while being polite and professional.

You should begin contacting the airline and TSA right now to get their policies in writing because no one at the airport will be able to help you. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

These TSA folks are as familiar with their own regs as the USCG NMC are with theirs. Were I traveling with you on the same plane I’d feel safer and more likely to get to leave on time if you’d just UPS, DHL or Fedex the damn thing.
teng

[QUOTE=tengineer;44686]These TSA folks are as familiar with their own regs as the USCG NMC are with theirs. Were I traveling with you on the same plane I’d feel safer and more likely to get to leave on time if you’d just UPS, DHL or Fedex the damn thing.
teng[/QUOTE]

You can rest easy now… I leave the damn thing in a sea bag at the company transportation center on my way to the airport and pick it up again on my way to the boat. Problem solved…

Of course, if one feels threatened by inflatable pfds, the train or bus would be a safer mode of transport. Airplanes are chock full of inflatable pfds, each with it’s own little CO2 cartridge.

This is just one more example of the TSA not having a clue. Incidentally, I made my flight and did not delay anyone.

Here are some good ones several make no since, taken today off the TSA web site

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit) CARRY-ON OK

Gel shoe inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened. CARRY-ON OK

Tools (seven inches or less in length) CARRY-ON OK
Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length) CARRY-ON OK
Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length) CARRY-ON OK
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches CARRY-ON OK

These make lots of since, cannot have gel inserts in my shoes but can carry a 7 inch screwdriver and a 4 inch pair of metal scissors with pointed tips 4 inches long

Maybe there are a few people out there with out drivers licenses but I’m pretty sure we have all accepted that the TWIC is useless. I dont even try to use it for anything. Every month work asks for proof of it so I take it out of my MMC and thats all it gets used.

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;44707]Here are some good ones several make no since, taken today off the TSA web site

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit) CARRY-ON OK

Gel shoe inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened. CARRY-ON OK

Tools (seven inches or less in length) CARRY-ON OK
Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length) CARRY-ON OK
Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length) CARRY-ON OK
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches CARRY-ON OK

These make lots of since, cannot have gel inserts in my shoes but can carry a 7 inch screwdriver and a 4 inch pair of metal scissors with pointed tips 4 inches long[/QUOTE]

Ha! Get this one. Pilot comes into the smoking lounge in St Louis and is pretty hot under the collar. After 9/11 he went through the training courses and carries a loaded firearm. The TSA flunkie took his nail file. He’s carrying a loaded gun for crying out loud…

Oh, the horror…

[QUOTE=Cal;44710]Ha! Get this one. Pilot comes into the smoking lounge in St Louis and is pretty hot under the collar. After 9/11 he went through the training courses and carries a loaded firearm. The TSA flunkie took his nail file. He’s carrying a loaded gun for crying out loud…

Oh, the horror…[/QUOTE]

I guess he should have taken the nail file course, too.

[QUOTE=cmakin;44781]I guess he should have taken the nail file course, too.[/QUOTE]

After doing the gun course that left to little time for the manicure-pedicure course,I think he planned to study that one while he was in the air, hence the nail file

I wonder if it was an assault nail file!!