Tugs vs barges

Hey guys I have a question. Just gotta call from Dann marine. The last asked me do I have any experience working on a tug. I don’t have experience on a tug but I have experience on a barge. I’m currently doing marine construction. She told me she was going to forward my application to the manager. Is working on a tug harder than a barge ? Just trying to see if my experience would be good enough to work on a tug boat

not the same, but relevant. You’ll have tons to learn but you should know more than someone off the street with no experience.

Well. . . .I guess it depends on what type of barge that you have experience on. . . . with tugs, there will be watch keeping and other duties. . .maybe not so much on a barge.

“Hey guys I have a question. Just gotta call from Dann marine. The last asked me do I have any experience working on a tug. I don’t have experience on a tug but I have experience on a barge. I’m currently doing marine construction. She told me she was going to forward my application to the manager. Is working on a tug harder than a barge ? Just trying to see if my experience would be good enough to work on a tug boat”–

Nope, working on a tug is easier. If you did okay on the a barge you should be able to adapt well to working on a tug, it’s easier and less demanding physically. As a deckhand, you will have less legal responsibility than a Certified Tankerman PIC. You will probably have less pay too. Instead of having 1 or 2 crew members to live with during your hitch, you will have 3 or 4 crew members to share a smaller space with. Tugs do not ride like barges at sea, so if you are prone to sea-sickness take note.

[QUOTE=Mjordan22;168897]I have experience on a barge. I’m currently doing marine construction. She told me she was going to forward my application to the manager. Is working on a tug harder than a barge ? Just trying to see if my experience would be good enough to work on a tug boat[/QUOTE]

If all the Experience that you have is working on a Construction Barge, you will find working on a Tug to be very different thing.

Now, I am not sure what you did on the Construction Barge but you will be doing a lot more line handling on a Tug especially if it is an older Harbor Tug.

[QUOTE=z-drive;168899]not the same, but relevant. You’ll have tons to learn but you should know more than someone off the street with no experience.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if a guy worked marine construction on a barge and didn’t get hurt or fall over the side at least you know he’s awake.

[QUOTE=Tugs;168937]If all the Experience that you have is working on a Construction Barge, you will find working on a Tug to be very different thing.

Now, I am not sure what you did on the Construction Barge but you will be doing a lot more line handling on a Tug especially if it is an older Harbor Tug.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what kind of barge, all i know it that the barge has these huge spuds on it that we move with the crane to move the barge around. For the most part its easy. You just have to make sure not to fall of the barge when we’re sailing lol

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;168938]Yeah, if a guy worked marine construction on a barge and didn’t get hurt or fall over the side at least you know he’s awake.[/QUOTE]

Well i guess im awake. had to get used to working on the barge quick or my boss told me i would be fired lol

If Chesapeake Dan will hire you and you have the documents you need go for it. Reading your last post I think you will find a tug to be a big change. You need to to really know the equipment you work on. I’ve only been on one barge with spuds myself. The ones you’re talking about I believe are walking spuds. Good luck.

If I’m reading this correctly you work in marine construction on a spud barge but are looking to move to tugs. The company thinks you have barge experience but I think there was a miscommunication. I would not say working on a construction barge is in any way the same as working any other type of tug and tow work.
Did you make up or breakdown the tug when the barge was moved? Did you guide the tug and barge in to the correct position over VHF? Did you ensure that the portable running lights were on and functioning while underway? Do you hold a MMD and TWIC card and did you need them to work on the barge? If not you have construction experience that happens to be on a barge.

Construction experience is not as good as fishing experience, but it is still valuable. The construction workers that I have seen come to tugs do pretty well.

You guys are funny. Most of the folks working construction are better linehandlers, radio talkers, and have more ability than many deckhands I’ve seen.
Not getting hit with the hook, spotting the barge in “Just the right place” with spuds and a skiff, moving around on anchors, takes considerable skill.

all of the dock building guys who work on barges around here could be a good competent within a few days. I agree with you.

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;169033]If I’m reading this correctly you work in marine construction on a spud barge but are looking to move to tugs. The company thinks you have barge experience but I think there was a miscommunication. I would not say working on a construction barge is in any way the same as working any other type of tug and tow work.
Did you make up or breakdown the tug when the barge was moved? Did you guide the tug and barge in to the correct position over VHF? Did you ensure that the portable running lights were on and functioning while underway? Do you hold a MMD and TWIC card and did you need them to work on the barge? If not you have construction experience that happens to be on a barge.[/QUOTE]

This seems like a very limited way to look at it. This guy is working on a constuction barge, he’s gotten a call from a tug outfit that wants to interview him. Maybe he hasn’t done the exact tasks you have mentioned but if he’s on the water, working with moving loads etc he’s likley has a much better basic understanding of the work environment then the guy who’s only job is when his mother makes him clean his room.

To my mind this is better then the posters that come here with the: “is it true that a merchant marine can make $100,000 a year and can some one tell me what MMC stands for”

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;169054]This seems like a very limited way to look at it. This guy is working on a constuction barge, he’s gotten a call from a tug outfit that wants to interview him. Maybe he hasn’t done the exact tasks you have mentioned but if he’s on the water, working with moving loads etc he’s likley has a much better basic understanding of the work environment then the guy who’s only job is when his mother makes him clean his room.

To my mind this is better then the posters that come here with the: “is it true that a merchant marine can make $100,000 a year and can some one tell me what MMC stands for”[/QUOTE]

Yea I don’t have the exact tasks but I’ll think I’ll be a good fit. I bust my ass in Marine construction so I think I can adapt well on a tug. I know at my job I see people new hires quit the first day just because their not comfortable on the water and can’t do the tasks on the barge. I’ll just wait and see what happens. Hopefully I get the position

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=swamper;169032]If Chesapeake Dan will hire you and you have the documents you need go for it. Reading your last post I think you will find a tug to be a big change. You need to to really know the equipment you work on. I’ve only been on one barge with spuds myself. The ones you’re talking about I believe are walking spuds. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Yea I believe there walking spuds. We hook them up to the crane and we either lay them down or put a pipe through this whole towards the bottom of the spud to hold it in place

You can get seatime credit toward AB and/or QMED based upon your experience working on the barge.

You did not say how long you worked on the barge, what your duties were, or how big the barge is. You should contact a “USCG license consultant” (google it or search on gcaptain) for help in properly documenting your legitimate seatime on the barge in the proper way, and to submit your application through the USCG licensing process. You may already be qualified for AB and QMED right now.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;169054]This seems like a very limited way to look at it. This guy is working on a constuction barge, he’s gotten a call from a tug outfit that wants to interview him. Maybe he hasn’t done the exact tasks you have mentioned but if he’s on the water, working with moving loads etc he’s likley has a much better basic understanding of the work environment then the guy who’s only job is when his mother makes him clean his room.

To my mind this is better then the posters that come here with the: “is it true that a merchant marine can make $100,000 a year and can some one tell me what MMC stands for”[/QUOTE]

He is definitely ahead of the curve and with out details it’s hard to say what parts of his experience will crossover. I’ve moved a lot of construction and crane barges both as a deckhand and a mate. We always did the make up and breakdown and all the line handling. Many times they construction crew wouldn’t get on until were at the job site.
Now I’m exclusively moving oil and a lot of the skills aren’t the same but that doesn’t mean he won’t pick them up quickly.

Mjordan22

I’m not trying to discourage you in any way. Sounds like you have a good attitude and that’s the most important part. Everyone’s career on the water starts differently. I was driving a truck delivering fish before I went to sea. You are already on the water. We had a Chesapeake Dan boat assist us the other night in NYC and It certainly looked a lot better than the first boat I worked on.

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;169069]He is definitely ahead of the curve and with out details it’s hard to say what parts of his experience will crossover. I’ve moved a lot of construction and crane barges both as a deckhand and a mate. We always did the make up and breakdown and all the line handling. Many times they construction crew wouldn’t get on until were at the job site.
Now I’m exclusively moving oil and a lot of the skills aren’t the same but that doesn’t mean he won’t pick them up quickly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it’s easy to see it going either way. I’ve an acquaintance that has been doing marine construction a long time and he’s a stubborn bonehead. On the other hand some guys pick up new things quick.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;169058]You can get seatime credit toward AB and/or QMED based upon your experience working on the barge.

You did not say how long you worked on the barge, what your duties were, or how big the barge is. You should contact a “USCG license consultant” (google it or search on gcaptain) for help in properly documenting your legitimate seatime on the barge in the proper way, and to submit your application through the USCG licensing process. You may already be qualified for AB and QMED right now.[/QUOTE]

Wow I never thought about it. I’ve been doing marine contruction for about 5 months now

did you take the job with dann?