Trying to renew all of my creds

Hey guys, first post here, I hold a Second Mate unlimited license (expiered), and after hearing that 4 of my classmates are now Captains (one of whom started a maritime webite) I felt I should go back on the oceans blue. I am looking for advice on getting all of my credentials back from those that may have let everything lapse as I did. Do you guys know anyone in particular at the USCG offices that have been very helpfull that I should speak to to help me expidiate the process.

[QUOTE=Emills505;19599]Hey guys, first post here, I hold a Second Mate unlimited license (expiered), and after hearing that 4 of my classmates are now Captains (one of whom started a maritime webite) I felt I should go back on the oceans blue. I am looking for advice on getting all of my credentials back from those that may have let everything lapse as I did. Do you guys know anyone in particular at the USCG offices that have been very helpfull that I should speak to to help me expidiate the process.[/QUOTE]

I guess the first question will be when did it expire and how long ago? I suppose it’s been more than a year.
Mr.Cavo will probably give you a hand tomorrow, but he will need more information than what you provided.

I let mine expire in 1997 and went through the new process to renew last year. You may have to spend alot of serious money and time getting through STCW courses. You may also have some serious regrets about letting what you had expire.
You are going to need to submit an application for renewal to your favorite REC and they will forward it on to NMC in VA for evaluation.
Once evaluated they will tell you what you need.
The best way to expedite it is to have all your paperwork and STCW courses completed.
You should find everything you need here:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/
Best to you.

it has been close to 5 years, I will have to get back most of my stcw stuff

oh and I have a DUI in 03’

Unless you renewed for continuity, you may be back to square one. With the DUI you probably have a pretty steep climb back to having your credentials. Mr. Cavo may be able to answer that better.

You can get everything back, but it won’t be easy. Since the license has been expired for more than a year, you’re going to have to take the complete set of exams again. What else you have to do will depend on when you got your 3rd Mate license, and whether you havd STCW 95 certification before you let everything lapse. Give me more info and II’ll see what else might apply.

The '03 DUI should not be a problem as long as you disclose it and have met all the requirements of the Court. The normal waiting or assessment period that would be imposed for a first time DUI is one year, and it’s been longer than that since your conviction.

Finally, not to rub it in for you but to advise others, it’s very easy to put a license into “continuity” and avoid all the consequences of expiring byond the one year “grace period.” You need to apply at the time of renewal, but won’t need the drug test, medical reports, or sea service. Alsao, with the regulation changes that created the MMC, a continuity renewal now never expires (even if you do).

[QUOTE=Emills505;19607]oh and I have a DUI in 03’[/QUOTE]

You’re outside of three years. That should not be a problem if your record has been clean since then and relatively clean period. You may need to include a certificate if you were in a court program.

thanks for the info guys, I was hoping you all would say it would be an easy process, but I figured it would not be, nothing worth doing should be easy and I kind of shot myself in the foot.