Trawlers

An ugly Norwegian pelagic trawler/seiner entering Fosnavaag to join other ugly fishing boats:

Nice boat handling with a single screw boat in limited space.

PS> And not always weather like this.

2 Likes

Don’t rub it too much in, tugsailor tried to be a smartass and take a cheap shot on Norwegian shipbuilding. But failed spectacularly.
I watched him try to give me a answer, but he gave up.

I change my posted.

Turns out the “Dutch Trawler” was only Dutch Flag, but a Norwegian built purse seiner/trawler. Using a bigger device to view and enlarge the photo, I could see the Triplex seining gear (which is much better than the American seining gear).

I just prefer the look and feel of a house amidships or house aft boat over a house forward boat.

And yes, I’ve sailed on both. Even some built in Norway.

1 Like

Nice looking boat of the house aft style that I prefer.

Pure Trawlers usually have house Fwrd. The combined pelagic trawler/seiners nearly always 2/3 aft. Both for obvious reasons.

They all beats the US designed, purpose built or converted fishing boats though, both for looks, safety, efficiency and crew comfort as far as I have heard.

The US built factory trawlers and long liners for the Bering Sea are mostly Norwegian designed and equipped I believe?

BTW: The Atlantic Dawn is now flying Polish flag and renamed Annelies Ileana:

Yes. That is true.

The “Dutch Trawler” is a pure pelagic trawler, hence no need for a long working deck. No seining capability.
They have a very large shock freezing capacity, but no major processing. They are mainly used to catch Horse Mackerel.

The combined Trawler/Seiner is a Norwegian invention, although many are now operated by Scottish, Irish, Faeroe and Icelandic companies. Don’t know if there are any in North America. (??)

Not all the Dutch super trawlers are as nice looking as the Norwegian built Atlantic Dawn.
Here is the second largest one, the Margiris:
CUKa8NCW4AAMhze

PS> She is not popular everywhere:

I’m not fond of the “mudboat” look of the house forward vessels.

I like the look and concept of the Irish midwater trawlers (that look like the Norwegian purse seiners), and also pump the fish out of the trawl. I’d like to make a trip on one of these and see it in action.

I also don’t understand purse seining without a seine skiff. I’d like to see how that is done.

You mean like these??:

Most are second hand from, or newbuilt in Norway or Denmark. The difference is that they don’t have seining equipment.

Yes they do use pumps to bring the catch from the trawl bag to RSW tanks:
header%20vessel%20laoding
As do the seiners, as seen in the video linked in this article:
https://www.kystmagasinet.no/nyheter/fiskeflatens-beste-videoer-pa-nordsjosilda/
This should also explain how they manage to shoot the net without a skiff.
There do not appear to be a lot of manual work involved for the crew of 10.

PS> There are links to videos from different vessels and fishing methods as well.

Maybe a Moderator could move the last few posts to a different thread, since they are not about boat handling??

Here is how it was in my childhood days in 1950’s. This was the “golden years” of herring fisheries during the winter and close to the coast:

There have been a giant leap in technology and comfort for the people who make their living from fisheries.
The power block did away with net boats during the 1960’s, which reduced the hard, cold and wet work of recovering the seine net. But it also caused boats to capsize, since the block hung high up, like on US seiners.

UPDATE:
One-man fishing boat catching cod by automated hook and tackle:

Typical 35’ “Sjark”:

Another Dutch Super trawler bite the dust. The Jan Maria has changed name to Tsaritsa and are now flying Russian flag:

She is on her way from Ijmuiden to Busan after name change:

UPDATE:
One of the largest Factory Trawlers “converted” in Norway in the 1980’s was originally a small mud boat from the GoM, said to have been built at Blount Shipyard as OSV “State Trust” for State Offshore Services. |IMO Number: 8030489 US Official Number: Call Sign: KUCE

Only a few bottom plates left of the original hull.

Lots of good Norwegian equipment installed on this one:

Just look at that winch array!!!

PS> The original hull intended used for this conversion was lost when towline broke and it drifted aground just before reaching Ulsteinvik. (No problem, lots more where that came from)