Best Fishing Lure For Deep Sea Trawling

Hey guys, it’s been a while since my last post as I am currently underway. We are taking our ship from Korea to the Gulf Of Mexico and we are currently near the coast of Madagascar… which makes for an excellent opportunity to drop a line off the stern for some fishing underway.

So my question is… what is the best lure for fishing off the back of large ships? Pictures and/or description on how to make one would be appreciated (no suggestions that require going to a store!).

(Below is a, not so great, picture of the rig our Chief built for the task.)

Feather jigs are by far the most popular at 8 to 12 kts. They don’t foul with seaweed as bad as lures. Jet head jigs are good if you want to spend the money. Russel lures and Rapalas are good choices at slow speeds. I have seen more fish caught with jigs made from a 3/4 in shackle pin, wrapped with a piece of shredded oilskin. The skirt can be secured to the pin with hose clamps or ty-raps. 2 heavy duty hooks in series work the best. On the down side, my lifting gear in the fidley was always robbed first for the pin.

ss serving spoon less handle hammered more or less flat makes a good silver spoon lure…tends to piss the cook off though…he chills out a bit after you provide him w/ some fresh maui-maui for the galley!!

http://www.fishinghomemadelure.com/fishinghomemadelure09.php

Be sure to post some pix of your catch.

I love gCaptain forum.

Trawling

Trolling

(sorry, as a former commercial fisherman the whole trawling/trolling thing is a pet peeve for me)

The above mentioned feather jigs are always a winner, spoons are okay but make sure it’s a high speed trolling spoon, diamond jigs and knife jigs can be trolled fast, but if I were you I would send out some hoochies (not the kind you find in the club on a saturday night, these are rubber squid lookin things).

Examples…

Good luck and let us know if you catch anything!

Thanks Tex, I feel kinda dumb now but I had no idea there was a diff between trawling and trolling. And way cool site 10talents.

Excellent ideas guys. No luck yet with the trolling rig but we’ll be sure to give it another try as we approach South Africa (Weather permitting… the forcast is not cheery).

[QUOTE=john;31030]Excellent ideas guys. No luck yet with the trolling rig but we’ll be sure to give it another try as we approach South Africa (Weather permitting… the forcast is not cheery).[/QUOTE]

Maybe bad weather will be a good thing down there with all those bags of wasted flesh who call themselves “pirates”. Come to think of it why not try wrapping a grenade with a dollar bill and trolling it behind. Instaed of the hook staying attached, the pin comes out and the world becomes just a little bit better. Next time if you dont get anything dont tell us though,… [B]do like every fisherman does… and lie!! [/B]
Stay safe down there

The best lures I have found so far have been Feathers (zukers) and generic Jet-heads that leave a long smoke trail. There is no need to buy $30-50 lures. Fish will hit anything the majority of the time though, since the wash conceals most of the leader and the jig itself. Injunear is right, a big shackle pin works great, just shred up some old raingear and make a skirt, you can whip it down with small wire/line and put some duct tape over it.
What do most people on here use as leaders and connections? My rigs use 450lb solid nylon braid (coated) mainline to a 1000lb Spro heavy swivel, double crimped to 30’ of 300lb mono, double crimped to a 12/0 offset J hook…only break off I’ve had other than wahoo/barracuda biting through the mono was a big marlin snapping the mainline while doing 16kts

south africa to the GOM, you should be passing close to the NE part of Brazil right? That area is so good, lots of tiny islands and seamounts just off the coast. good luck.

[QUOTE=SailorDaniel;31053]Next time if you dont get anything dont tell us though,… [B]do like every fisherman does… and lie!! [/B]
Stay safe down there[/QUOTE]

I find that truth is stranger than fiction and, with a few thousand miles left on this voyage and the lures suggestions in this thread, I’m not worried about catching something big. :wink:

[QUOTE=john;30896]Hey guys, it’s been a while since my last post as I am currently underway. We are taking our ship from Korea to the Gulf Of Mexico and we are currently near the coast of Madagascar… which makes for an excellent opportunity to drop a line off the stern for some fishing underway.

So my question is… what is the best lure for fishing off the back of large ships? Pictures and/or description on how to make one would be appreciated (no suggestions that require going to a store!).

(Below is a, not so great, picture of the rig our Chief built for the task.)

[/QUOTE]

Dip Cameron in fish oil and throw him over the side. Might get lucky. If not - oh well.

[QUOTE=seadawg;30900]ss serving spoon less handle hammered more or less flat makes a good silver spoon lure…tends to piss the cook off though…he chills out a bit after you provide him w/ some fresh maui-maui for the galley!![/QUOTE]

maui-maui? really?

Maui-maui? FACEPALM

[QUOTE=50thState;31288]maui-maui? really?[/QUOTE]

OK??mahi-mahi!!:o

**BTW…seeing how you have self-appointed yourself the chief administrator in charge of spelling, TOs and brain farts…how about going through this forum line by line and making all the necessary corrections…that should keep you occupied for the next year or so!!:slight_smile:

smell you later!!:eek:

[QUOTE=seadawg;31310]OK??mahi-mahi!!:o

**BTW…seeing how you have self-appointed yourself the chief administrator in charge of spelling, TOs and brain farts…how about going through this forum line by line and making all the necessary corrections…that should keep you occupied for the next year or so!!:slight_smile:

smell you later!!:eek:[/QUOTE]

Lotta free time sitting here on the hook. I’ll see what I can do. I do like the title of chief administrator.

I can’t tell you the number of fish that have been caught off of good ole Cedar plugs. Just a chunk of wood, a mop handle will do. Drill a hole through the middle and hollow out a hole on the rear of it to take about 1/2 the shank of the hook, assuming that you have a hook. I realize that this is not as pretty as feather jigs or a chugger but you are underway and need to make something from scratch. A cedar plug type lure is going to be your ticket.

bump

picked up this little mahi between Madagascar and La Reunion today, he decided to munch on a plain $3 pink trolling jig…hopefully more to come

A great trolling rig for mahi is a red tube of toothpaste (without the toothpast in it) and a hook. I have caught quite a few doing some delivery work.

I forgot about this thread. So John, any luck, where are the pictures of your catch?