Transportation Subcommittee - Hearings On Foreign Flagged Vessels in the GOM

The Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation will convene on Thursday, June 17, 2010, at 2:00 p.m., in room 2167 of the Rayburn House Office Building to receive testimony regarding the extent of commercial activity conducted by foreign vessels engaged in the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). The Subcommittee will also examine the overlapping jurisdictions of flag states and coastal states when foreign-flagged vessels and drilling units are operating in a coastal state’s EEZ.

Links:
[ul]
[li]Details of the hearing
[/li][li]Full Summary of Subject Matter
[/li][li]Live video of the hearings
[/li][/ul]

Thanks for the info.

I particularly like page 19-21…

http://transportation.house.gov/Media/file/Coast%20Guard/20100617/SSM_CG.pdf

Wow, that was embarassing…RADM Cook didn’t know the difference between a jackup and a 6th generation drillship. Grouping them all together as MODUs. The he went on to say the 65 MODU inspectors are trained and qualified to inspect…frightening.

I wonder how many of those boys can show me around the 6 (six) engine rooms on the DWH?
How many of those guys have ever seen a variable frequency drive, Kongsberg integrated automation system, active heave technology?

[QUOTE=bnhpr;36894]
How many of those guys have ever seen a variable frequency drive, Kongsberg integrated automation system, active heave technology?[/QUOTE]

I’m sure some have seen their fair share…same thing is on OSVs.

[QUOTE=anchorman;36928]I’m sure some have seen their fair share…same thing is on OSVs.[/QUOTE]

Fair comment. I’m sure they see the technology on a smaller scale. But they never really dig.

I guess my point, not well made is, what sort of real auditing takes place, by USCG, class etc? Check the skin valves, shutdowns, rvs power, E-genny. Basic stuff.

The irony is…The toughest audit I’ve ever been through is the BP IAT (integrated acceptance test). Almost sinister…the way they explore your weakness. My last one, I had 400 pages of punch items. Not 400 items…but 400 pages of items. That was on a newbuild dp semi. The team of 5 people, contained circa 100 years in offshore/marine operational experience…They look at people, machinery and process…

Compared to this, all class machinery audits I’ve done…are a joke.

I agree 100% with you. Class and these flag state inspections just are only on top of surface issues, they do not go deep on these subjects.

to see well documented examples of how class services have been doing in the last decade look at this useful site.

http://www.c4tx.org/ctx/pub/tromedy2.pdf

bottom line is Class like any other contractor what to please the paying party…

Finally has a chance to listen to some of the hearing today. Only made it through two hours so far.

Manning, ship building, and ownership issues aside, I don’t think a US flag rig would be anymore safe than a MI flag. (Again, that’s not considering manning.) In fact, most US rules have not kept pace with international. The new SOLAS III/20 lifeboat maintenance rules have not made their way into 46 CFR Subch W yet, for example. MI also requires many more spare extinguishers too. Congressman Taylor was wrong to suggest a US flag would have more drydockings. Twice in five applies to everyone. DWH had a UWILDs in 2004, 2006, and 2009 with the second SPS due in 2011.

Also the USCG does not have the resources to take over flag state inspections of all these rigs. Arguably, they don’t have the expertise or the regs to back them either. I don’t think I’d be able to get a USCG inspector on a short notice (due to to helicopter seats or bed space) to come witness a 5 year dynamic boat davit test, or crawl a ballast tank when it’s available. They’d shut the rig down for two weeks to do the whole COI at once.

Additionally what do you do with a US flag rig when you take it somewhere else that requires nationals onboard?

[QUOTE=Orniphobe;37538]Finally has a chance to listen to some of the hearing today. Only made it through two hours so far.

Manning, ship building, and ownership issues aside, I don’t think a US flag rig would be anymore safe than a MI flag. (Again, that’s not considering manning.) In fact, most US rules have not kept pace with international. The new SOLAS III/20 lifeboat maintenance rules have not made their way into 46 CFR Subch W yet, for example. MI also requires many more spare extinguishers too. Congressman Taylor was wrong to suggest a US flag would have more drydockings. Twice in five applies to everyone. DWH had a UWILDs in 2004, 2006, and 2009 with the second SPS due in 2011.

Also the USCG does not have the resources to take over flag state inspections of all these rigs. Arguably, they don’t have the expertise or the regs to back them either. I don’t think I’d be able to get a USCG inspector on a short notice (due to to helicopter seats or bed space) to come witness a 5 year dynamic boat davit test, or crawl a ballast tank when it’s available. They’d shut the rig down for two weeks to do the whole COI at once.

Additionally what do you do with a US flag rig when you take it somewhere else that requires nationals onboard?[/QUOTE]

Good points Orniphobe.

The Glomar explorer is workin in Africa and has nationals onboard?