Transition from Active Duty to Merchant Marine help

Hey everyone. Trying to get some guidance on this transition I will be doing. I live in Upstate NY at the moment as a Active Duty Coast Guard member. In December my contract will be up and I will looking for a job as a merchant marine. I already have the schools and everything for AB Unlimited, just waiting on the credentials to come in the mail.

Has anyone done this? How was your experience. Any advice? I been looking at Crowley in Jax, Fl and Hornbeck in Louisiana, but im open to recommendation to other companies. Im married with a baby on the way. Looking to move to florida to start this new life. Any recommendations will be welcome. Thanks u in advance!

Scrap the idea. Stay in for 20 and get your retirement pay and benefits. Get all of your credentials, experience, endorsements and license while you are still in. Then go look for an entry level position as a Merchant Mariner. Just picking up and moving to Jax with a new born and going to work as an AB somewhere does not really sound like a good idea to me.

[QUOTE=CGtug;135184]Hey everyone. Trying to get some guidance on this transition I will be doing. I live in Upstate NY at the moment as a Active Duty Coast Guard member. In December my contract will be up and I will looking for a job as a merchant marine.

First of all, its merchant MARINER, Not “merchant marine.”

Use the search function. Search “read this first” and “a chateau on the bayou”. Then Go to Louisiana.

Thanks for the replies.

Is their any chance you can have your AB unlimited in hand before you process out?

Read your post again. Crowley ATBs, OSVs would be a good start. Crowley hires a lot of vets. But stay away from liner service. Apply early and often, it may take a couple months to make something happen. It’s a hard transition, at lest for me it was, but keep at if it’s what you want.

[QUOTE=seadonkey;135242]Read your post again. Crowley ATBs, OSVs would be a good start. Crowley hires a lot of vets. But stay away from liner service. Apply early and often, it may take a couple months to make something happen. It’s a hard transition, at lest for me it was, but keep at if it’s what you want.[/QUOTE]

I will have it before. In Dec 15 my terminal leave starts of 60 days so I will be getting paid as active duty until Feb. 15. I also have about 4-6 months of bills in my saving account for back up.

Some guys have recommended me to start in the harbor tugs since it will give me more time home but I heard that you move up slow. So a 28/14 or a 21/21 will help more to advance in my career as a Merchant Mariner.

More time on the boat, is more experience. It’s up to you. Some people (me included) are going to tell you that one type of experience is better then the other. Harbor tugs are great if you live close, you can sneak home when the boat isn’t working if that’s ok with the company. OSVs are great, pay is good and the future look bright. But don’t listen to me, I’m full of shit. Find what’s right for you and your family. Try and find something before your end obligated service, keep that savings account you never know what’s round the next corner.

Thanks for the advice. OSV’s sounds like a greap deal for me if i want that sea time and move up. Im a Boatswain’s Mate right now, so my goal is to become a 1600ton Master and Unlimited if I can. Seatime and expirience will be a m,ust to get there. Thanks again for all the help. Anything else that can cross ur mind plz send it this way. Info is always welcome

I’m kinda with 78NM98 on this one. I’m a Retired Navy CPO. Any reason yer not sitting for ANY type of Master’s license prior to separation?
The more you can acquire PRIOR to separation is effort you won’t have to expend FOR FREE on the outside. If yer at school yer not earning NOR are you at home. I sailed as a Mate in NY harbor for almost 4 years. FUCK 3/3, 2/2 is more palatable ESPECIALLY with a new family. WHY go all the way to Florida or N’awlins with NY Harbor just down the road?

Upward mobility on ANY tugs is limited especially without a TOWING ENDORSEMENT; harbor or offshore.

Yes, If you qualify for AB Unlimited, you will also have enough seatime for Master 100 tons Oceans. Get it prior to getting out. Basically a similar exam as AB.

There’s no such thing as a 100t oceans

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;135359]I’m kinda with 78NM98 on this one. I’m a Retired Navy CPO. Any reason yer not sitting for ANY type of Master’s license prior to separation?
The more you can acquire PRIOR to separation is effort you won’t have to expend FOR FREE on the outside. If yer at school yer not earning NOR are you at home. I sailed as a Mate in NY harbor for almost 4 years. FUCK 3/3, 2/2 is more palatable ESPECIALLY with a new family. WHY go all the way to Florida or N’awlins with NY Harbor just down the road?

Upward mobility on ANY tugs is limited especially without a TOWING ENDORSEMENT; harbor or offshore.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I will be taking the 100 ton Master Near Coastal here in the next month with the 100ton Towing Endorsement. So I will have it before I get out. And florida because the wife had enough with the snow up here.

[QUOTE=CGtug;135424]Thanks for the info. I will be taking the 100 ton Master Near Coastal here in the next month with the 100ton Towing Endorsement. So I will have it before I get out. And florida because the wife had enough with the snow up here.[/QUOTE]

You are most likely getting an “Assistance Towing” endorsement. Totally different animal from a master of towing license. The assistance towing will get you a job for a commercial assistance company, e. g. Seatow, Towboat US, Tow Jam, etc.

[QUOTE=Scallywag;135429]You are most likely getting an “Assistance Towing” endorsement. Totally different animal from a master of towing license. The assistance towing will get you a job for a commercial assistance company, e. g. Seatow, Towboat US, Tow Jam, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yes. They told me that when I ask them about it. Im taking it because us just 2 more days and a test so why not. Better to have as much as I can. Thanks for the heads up Scallywag!

[QUOTE=seadonkey;135241]Is their any chance you can have your AB unlimited in hand before you process out?[/QUOTE]

This is good advice for everyone. To get a license, a portion of your sea time has to be within the past 3 years. If you wait until you are out, and your last assignment was ashore, you will have problems.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;135608]This is good advice for everyone. To get a license, a portion of your sea time has to be within the past 3 years. If you wait until you are out, and your last assignment was ashore, you will have problems.[/QUOTE]

When I call NMC they told me my small boat time can count but is up to the person reviewing my application. I submitted my TOSS report with my AOPS report for small boat time.

Hey just curious…did you end up finding an AB job? If so, how was the process for you and did you go door knocking in LA???

[QUOTE=GoPSR;143088]Hey just curious…did you end up finding an AB job? If so, how was the process for you and did you go door knocking in LA???[/QUOTE]

Not yet, im still active until Feb.15 and starting my terminal in Dec.15. Some friend on the inside told me that you can’t really get a job having a job for this type of situation. Most companies if they hire you, they want you to sail on the spot. For example, have your bags in the truck when u go knocking on doors. I have made some phone calls but no go. The next step is send my resume to different companies and wait until November or so. Then I will get more aggressive and go knocking on doors.

[QUOTE=CGtug;143255]Not yet, im still active until Feb.15 and starting my terminal in Dec.15. Some friend on the inside told me that you can’t really get a job having a job for this type of situation. Most companies if they hire you, they want you to sail on the spot. For example, have your bags in the truck when u go knocking on doors. I have made some phone calls but no go. The next step is send my resume to different companies and wait until November or so. Then I will get more aggressive and go knocking on doors.[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting. Maybe a well tailored cover letter will help there. I only have to work for my present employer 120 days a year…but most companies don’t understand that based on my resume. I keep a ready bag, too. A few days after I’m home it’s packed and ready to go again.