Transition from Active Duty to Merchant Marine help

[QUOTE=catherder;143263]That’s interesting. Maybe a well tailored cover letter will help there. I only have to work for my present employer 120 days a year…but most companies don’t understand that based on my resume. I keep a ready bag, too. A few days after I’m home it’s packed and ready to go again.[/QUOTE]

My phone calls dont even get answer. They go to voicemail and I will leave a short message, but no calls yet. But this is what i wanna do, so i will keep trying.

Stick with it and be ready to go immedistely when the call comes.

So I’m transitioning back to the regular reserves next week after about three years of active time, plus another three in the reserves, as a BM1 with Coxswain certs on multiple platforms. I have my AB license, plus master/mate 50 ton. I’ve sent close to 100 resumes and applications for deckhand jobs and not one single response. Not even an FU, lol. I anticipated as much, so I’ll be “knocking on doors” in Louisiana in about three weeks. Wish me luck. I’m trying to get on an OSV/PSV in the oil field.

We need more Coasties down here to teach people how to launch small boats properly from ships. What a shit show.

[QUOTE=GoPSR;144983]So I’m transitioning back to the regular reserves next week after about three years of active time, plus another three in the reserves, as a BM1 with Coxswain certs on multiple platforms. I have my AB license, plus master/mate 50 ton. I’ve sent close to 100 resumes and applications for deckhand jobs and not one single response. Not even an FU, lol. I anticipated as much, so I’ll be “knocking on doors” in Louisiana in about three weeks. Wish me luck. I’m trying to get on an OSV/PSV in the oil field.[/QUOTE]

Just got done calling about 10 different companies yesterday. Not a bad expirience so far. I can tell you that Hornbeck is gonna be looking for AB’s towards January-February time. Nothing right now becuase they hire a bunch of AB’s for some new boats and the boats got delay in the shipyard. Just a friendly head-up Boats.

[QUOTE=GoPSR;144983]So I’m transitioning back to the regular reserves next week after about three years of active time, plus another three in the reserves, as a BM1 with Coxswain certs on multiple platforms. I have my AB license, plus master/mate 50 ton. I’ve sent close to 100 resumes and applications for deckhand jobs and not one single response. Not even an FU, lol. I anticipated as much, so I’ll be “knocking on doors” in Louisiana in about three weeks. Wish me luck. I’m trying to get on an OSV/PSV in the oil field.[/QUOTE]

Also, im gonna tell you exacly the way they paint it to me.

If you are looking for OSV/PSV…
your 50ton master mate = shit.
your coxwain time in the 25,33,41,45,47 = shit

Very sad because i was hoping for a better respond from my CG expirience. I’m also a BM on Active Duty right now. All we hold right now is a AB ticket, thats it. I’m not trying to be rude with this, but just trying to give you the reality i have seen so far in my process. Good Luck Shipmate.

[QUOTE=CGtug;145039]Also, im gonna tell you exacly the way they paint it to me.

If you are looking for OSV/PSV…
your 50ton master mate = shit.
your coxwain time in the 25,33,41,45,47 = shit

Very sad because i was hoping for a better respond from my CG expirience. I’m also a BM on Active Duty right now. All we hold right now is a AB ticket, thats it. I’m not trying to be rude with this, but just trying to give you the reality i have seen so far in my process. Good Luck Shipmate.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I knew my 50ton wasn’t worth anything, but I wanted it for myself and to make future upgrading a tad easier. I got the AB ticket for reality…mainly the reality of knowing I need a job, lol…“Quimby”, I’ve got 1000’s of hours on small boats, so feel free to pass my resume along, lol.

[QUOTE=GoPSR;145051]Yeah, I knew my 50ton wasn’t worth anything, but I wanted it for myself and to make future upgrading a tad easier. I got the AB ticket for reality…mainly the reality of knowing I need a job, lol…“Quimby”, I’ve got 1000’s of hours on small boats, so feel free to pass my resume along, lol.[/QUOTE]

Have u try the online applications?

Sail as AB for a bit & get your time & upgrade. Do you not have any OOD time on any cutters??

No cutter time, which is why I could only get a 50 ton. My only OOD is small boat station OOD, pretty useless, lol. I’ve tried all the online apps, and other than the computer generated “thanks for the submission” emails, I’ve gotten exactly zero response. Probably going to knock on doors in early November. I’m putting together my list of companies and their locations now so I can begin to plan out my route. It seems the better ones are scattered all over south Louisiana.

Where you stationed? Plenty of tug jobs

[QUOTE=GoPSR;145694]No cutter time, which is why I could only get a 50 ton. My only OOD is small boat station OOD, pretty useless, lol. I’ve tried all the online apps, and other than the computer generated “thanks for the submission” emails, I’ve gotten exactly zero response. Probably going to knock on doors in early November. I’m putting together my list of companies and their locations now so I can begin to plan out my route. It seems the better ones are scattered all over south Louisiana.[/QUOTE]

is you AB ticket Unlimited?

I’ll be stationed in Clearwater, Florida (as a reservist) and my AB is special, lol. Again, owing to my lack of cutter time. I was going to try and knock on doors at the Port of Tampa and Manatee in Florida as well if anyone has any inside track?

Try marine towing of Tampa & a seabulk Tampa. Dann ocean is based out of there & would be a good place to train & get seatime.

GoPSR this id a AB Special Job

Able Bodied Seaman - Buras, LA
Job ID:20256363
Position Title:Able Bodied Seaman - Buras, LA
Company Name:
Marine Spill Response Corporation
Location(s): Buras, Louisiana, 70041, United States
Posted:September 19, 2014
Job Category:Entry-Level
Entry Level:No
Job Type:Full-Time
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
Contact Person: [B]Rebecca Lovelace[/B]
Fax: 703-880-7495
Apply URL: http://www.msrc.org/careers/
Job Description:
Rating: AB Special (Min)
Documents: STCW, MMD/MMC, TWIC
Recall: None (Rotational 3 weeks on/3 weeks off
Responsibility:
Handle mooring or anchoring duties.
Carry out vessel and equipment cleaning, maintenance, and painting duties
Assist in the operation and deployment of response equipment as directed by the Master or his designee.
Ensure the vessel and its equipment are cleaned and secured after each trip.
Empty all garbage cans daily and clean all common sanitary space daily.
Splice and care for all lines, especially when moored; ensure proper tension and apply chafing gear as needed.

Job Requirements
Candidate must hold MMC endorsed as AB Special or higher with STCW 95, lifeboatman, RFPNW and a valid TWIC.

When I added the AB endorsement recently, I also applied for, and was turned down, the STCW stuff, both BST and RFPNW. But because they were all signed off or done with the ACTIVE DUTY COAST GUARD, the COAST GUARD NMC wouldn’t accept them. Talk about ridiculous…when you work for the SAME company/org as the ones giving the license, but they won’t recognize their own training. AWESOME!!!

[QUOTE=GoPSR;146104]When I added the AB endorsement recently, I also applied for, and was turned down, the STCW stuff, both BST and RFPNW. But because they were all signed off or done with the ACTIVE DUTY COAST GUARD, the COAST GUARD NMC wouldn’t accept them. Talk about ridiculous…when you work for the SAME company/org as the ones giving the license, but they won’t recognize their own training. AWESOME!!![/QUOTE]

NMC is only partly to blame. The assessments can be signed by certain active duty personnel, you gave no info on who signed yours.

As far as not accepting USCG training, NMC cannot accept what they have never seen. Until very recently the “O” side of the USCG was not particularly cooperative in providing the curricula of its training to NMC so that it could be evaluated for acceptance. You can’t (reasonably) blame NMC on this.

[QUOTE=GoPSR;146104]When I added the AB endorsement recently, I also applied for, and was turned down, the STCW stuff, both BST and RFPNW. But because they were all signed off or done with the ACTIVE DUTY COAST GUARD, the COAST GUARD NMC wouldn’t accept them. Talk about ridiculous…when you work for the SAME company/org as the ones giving the license, but they won’t recognize their own training. AWESOME!!![/QUOTE]

As someone who has sailed on both sides of the fence, a USCG cutter as compared to a merchant vessel is apples and oranges. I used to be stationed on a 157’ buoy tender. Our typical compliment was about 32+ personnel. Going in and out of port, you’d have the watch officer, the helmsman, the lookout(s), the quartermaster of the watch, and of course the Old Man and the XO. Depending on its routes, a tug and barge will carry from 5-10 personnel. Many GOM boats will run with between 6 and 15 personnel on vessels mush larger than my little buoy tender. I to used run barges hundreds of feet long in and out of New York Harbor, and I was typically the only guy up in the wheel house. Long and short of it is, you will have to learn how to do the same job they do with a whole lot less to work with. And it’s not just the bridge stuff. Regardless of what firefighting schools you have been to in the military, you will only benefit from a civilian school that will teach you how to work with two man fire teams instead of twenty man fire teams.

Why would the Coast Guard want to give their people training that would allow them to seamlessly transition to the civilian world? Retention perhaps!?!

[QUOTE=CGtug;135184]Hey everyone. Trying to get some guidance on this transition I will be doing. I live in Upstate NY at the moment as a Active Duty Coast Guard member. In December my contract will be up and I will looking for a job as a merchant marine. I already have the schools and everything for AB Unlimited, just waiting on the credentials to come in the mail.

Has anyone done this? How was your experience. Any advice? I been looking at Crowley in Jax, Fl and Hornbeck in Louisiana, but im open to recommendation to other companies. Im married with a baby on the way. Looking to move to florida to start this new life. Any recommendations will be welcome. Thanks u in advance![/QUOTE]

DO NOT GET OUT. I am retired Navy, did 20 and that was all. I got my license while I was in (at the 15 year point). I utilized my Navy experience/tonnage to qualify for an upper level license. Gained experience working with local companies where I lived, started decking and eventually worked into the wheel house; all this while on active duty.

If you can tolerate the BS, stay in for 20, this will be huge payoff for you. I get 30K in retirement pay, pay no company insurance because I fall under the TRICARE umbrella (family covered too), and only work half the year.