"Training and Observation"

Can near coastal “training and observation” sea service be used for an Inland TOAR? Trying to get my towing endorsement on my inland license, but my company wrote the sea service letter as Near Coastal time… I know that generally a superior route covers the lesser routes as far as sea service goes, but I’m not sure about this one… Anyone have any insight on this?

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2001/4_01/encl1.pdf

[QUOTE=fishyluke;164164]Can near coastal “training and observation” sea service be used for an Inland TOAR? [/QUOTE]

See 46 CFR 11.464(g)(1) and 11.465(d)(1) “…Have a minimum of 30 days of training and observation on towing vessels [B][I][U]for the route being assessed[/U][/I][/B]…”

[QUOTE=fishyluke;164164]…but my company [I][U]wrote [/U][/I]the sea service letter as Near Coastal time[/QUOTE]

They “wrote” the time? What was it, inland or near coastal?

Can’t you just ask the folks in your office to “re-write” your sea service letter as Inland time? Since you said yourself it was Inland time? Seems like an easily fixed typo.

No it’s not fraud, I have enough time on both routes, it’s just the way it was written. I had them change the letter to reflect that… And the Inland TOAR was done on inland waters. That was the point of my question, does near coastal time supersede inland time as far as the TOAR goes? So I guess you answered my question. I would imagine thats why the company writes letters that way with dozens of boats operating all three routes often on one voyage.

A license as master or mate of towing vessels endorsed for near-coastal waters routes authorizes service on near-coastal waters routes and Great Lakes-inland waters routes (except Western Rivers), without further endorsement.
If you have A NC towing endorsement you can sail inland as well.

I’d just do a near coastal/ocean TOAR and be done with it. I believe a superior TOAR will cover a lower license. (A NC/O TOAR should cover a 500 ton inland mate license.). Then when you eventually upgrade you don’t have to do another TOAR.