Towing Sailboats in Canada?

Maybe a boat isn’t for you right now until you can give it a proper home.

Yes. Much like owning an exotic car. If you can’t afford the repair bills, best to steer clear.

I have no idea what’s going on in here.

2 Likes

Well armed Canadian WAFI is fighting against asshole tugboat operators over sailboat thievery. Caution: your definition of tugboat operator and his may differ.

7 Likes

You sure about that country that’s floating around with your 26 footer of which you appear to be king? I have a feeling some (incl the writers of the Act Respecting Firearms and Other Weapons) might interpret your rights of carrying a pistol around a bit more narrowly than you. Maybe lock it away to stay compliant?

Also, since this is going so well: I think you are not seeing both sides here, tug operators are just enforcing local rules, and besides they need to make a living, too.

So tug operators have police powers now?

Think more like tow truck drivers around a busy city center with little parking. They may be paid by the tow.

Offshore development. A marina. Now there’s an idea! Have you tried tieing up to a fish farm? Bet you could get a deal on a water taxi every two weeks if you don’t mind sharing. Get your waterproofs on me duckie, its soon gonna be raining ca$h. You think the Norwegians want our salmon? Maybe they do, but they don’t want it as bad as the Vancouver yachtsmen want a gump.

1 Like

Where to start!?

1. Most “Government docks” on the BC coast are owned and maintained by local community groups or municipalities. They used to be run by the feds. The primary use is for the local community. that may be beachcombers, commercial fishermen, watertaxies and in some cases the ambulance and school boats. In the yachting season they supply short-term paid moorage for visiting yachts. They were never intended as a free space to leave an unattended yacht for the off season.

2. looks to me that the original poster is confusing a “Vessel Assist” boat with a Tug. Their primary purpose is to assist small craft in non-emergency response such as running out of gas or propeller damage. They are also contracted by dock owners to remove out of compliance vessels. IE those owned by pleasure craft owners from away.

3. why aren’t they out beachcombing all that wood. It is simple. 99.9% of the driftwood on BC beaches is not marketable. A licenced log salvor (AKA beachcomber) knows which ones to take.

4. Guns…In or on a holster while on deck will result in a nice secure stay in a government facility.Eh.

2 Likes

It was obvious from the outset that this “yachtsman” was a loose wingnut hanging on by half a thread.

Thank you for your helpful post explaining how things work in Beautiful BC.

Canada actually has more guns per capita than the United States (albeit with a much smaller population).

Hope this clears up the gun thing.

Where did you get that Fake News from; Michael Moore ? :rofl:

«89 firearms per 100 residents, making the U.S. the No. 1 country for gun ownership. Canada ranks 13th on the study’s list, with 9.95 million firearms or 31 per 100 residents…»

Makes sense as it correlates with the homicide and suicide rate in the U.S. compared to other developed countries.

According to a report by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, roughly 11,000 homicides were committed using firearms in the U.S. in 2011. Statistics Canada reports on the same year Canada had 158 homicides committed using firearms !

Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured, excluding suicide… :facepalm: