Total newb seeks some pointers

This perhaps is in the wrong thread, but after reading the CA’s sage wisdom, I believe there are folks in here that will shoot me straight.

I am at the VERY, VERY beginning. I have no MMD. I am CONTEMPLATING a career as a mariner, to begin as an OS. I have read up on the SIU program at Piney Point as a way into the business. What are the general thoughts on that program? Is it also possible to get my MMD and begin applying to companies with a reasonable expectation to be hired as an OS, or does it just not work that way? I would like to crew an ocean-going tanker or bulker as an OS. What is the path to that goal? :slight_smile:

Yes, these are poignantly newb-ish questions. I forsee many years of hard work and due-paying before getting into the “potato patch” of good wages and benefits, if I choose a sailor’s life (all things being equal). I have zero problem with that. I just don’t want to waste my time and money on poorly-concieved training and employment decisions that will bear less fruit had I chosen differently.

I thank you for the time it took to read this, and for the time it takes to respond.

Type Piney Point into the search function of this forum and your questions will be answered.