TOAR question

If a guy has 1600 ton master ocean and also great lakes, inland and western rivers towing, does he have to complete a new TOAR for NC/Ocean or just the non-common tasks?? I figured the answer would come here faster than IASKNMC.

on the MMC…how is the master of towing part worded…Master of Towing Vessels Upon Oceans and Western Rivers Radar Observer (Unlimited)??

“A license as master or mate of towing vessels endorsed for oceans authorizes service on oceans routes and on the subordinate routes of near-coastal waters and Great Lakes-inland waters (except Western Rivers), without further endorsement.”

I’m not sure exactly how it is worded. 25 years ago, he had master of towing vessels N/C, inland etc. After upgrading to 1600 Tocean, his license was issued as such with inland, GL, WR towing. CG told him a while back that he would have to complete a NC/O TOAR. (I’m not sure how far up the food chain this came from) So I questioned if he had to complete the entire TOAR or just the elements not common with the inland TOAR.

I was unable to locate any specifics in my TOAR file…IMO as a DE…if he has the towing route endorsements for GL-INL and WR the NMC has deemed him competent/proficient in regards to the common assessments and should only be required to do the route specific assessments…on the other hand if he has never formally completed a TOAR then the NMC may want to see a “complete” TOAR…the addition of the “common” assessments is not all that involved…suggest getting the NMC “guidance” in writing on this!!

**perhaps Jim Cavo will respond shortly??

Near Coastal/Oceans TOAR:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2001/4_01/encl3.pdf

[I][QUOTE=injunear;30997]If a guy has 1600 ton master ocean and also great lakes, inland and western rivers towing, does he have to complete a new TOAR for NC/Ocean or just the non-common tasks?? I figured the answer would come here faster than IASKNMC.[/QUOTE][/I]

My original answer was not specific. You should only have to do the non-common elements.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;31116]…
Yes.[/QUOTE]
Is that “yes” the complete TOAR or the shortened version???