Time at PQEB

I put in for renewal and gap closing requirements in October,My package was assigned to an evaluator yesterday,I spoke with NMC yesterday and was told that once it’s assigned it usually takes 48 hours to clear if all is in order. Does that sound a little fast? Especially with a lot of people waiting to the last minute to send in gap closing courses?(myself included)

If you have received the “being evaluated” email, I’d say that sounds about right. Friend of mine waited to be evaluated for about 5-6 weeks and then got assigned to an evaluator the other day and they printed and issued his 2nd Mate and issued his 1,600 Master approval to test letter the following day. It appears the longest part of the whole ordeal is waiting to be evaluated. My Chief Mate license was printed and issued and mailed on the same day shortly after being re-evaluated after testing and submitting some missing info.

Check back in and let us know what you find out.

That’s good to hear…As soon as I get the next email from NMC I will post here so maybe anyone else that’s cutting it close will have an idea of the time…Thanks for letting me know.

Good on you.

I’m at 60 days overall, 30 calendar days awaiting PQEB.
Initial submitted Oct 2 to Seattle, Juneau sent it to NMC Oct 6.
A couple weeks waiting for the snail mail letter requesting more info for medical twice, with email replies.

Went into the PQEB queue Nov 2, still waiting

Strictly a renewal, no upgrades or STCW add-ons

61 days and counting. :confused:

Received October 5th at NMC.
Awaiting PQEB since the 12th (53 days)

Application for Gap Closing and Chief Mate AGT Upgrade.

I called NMC this past Friday and glad I did. For those of you that are waiting for PQEB for gap closing only (not renewals also) they have just started a new program. They will expediate your file for assignment to PQEB. The tech didn’t know how long it would be to get assigned as it’s a new program but was sure I was in better position now then before. And I was calling them about my medical situation not about my application, I just asked since I was on the phone. Glad I did.

[QUOTE=Bigshipguy;193032]I called NMC this past Friday and glad I did. For those of you that are waiting for PQEB for gap closing only (not renewals also) they have just started a new program. They will expediate your file for assignment to PQEB. The tech didn’t know how long it would be to get assigned as it’s a new program but was sure I was in better position now then before. And I was calling them about my medical situation not about my application, I just asked since I was on the phone. Glad I did.[/QUOTE]

You have to call them to get this expedited? That’s all I’m awaiting is gap closing.

[QUOTE=catherder;193097]You have to call them to get this expedited? That’s all I’m awaiting is gap closing.[/QUOTE]

Not sure but it can’t hurt. The day after I called I was assigned an evaluator then it was mailed the next day.

I called yesterday.
Was told that I’m at 37 days, and the current wait time is about 42 days.

We can see today if calling results in a queue jump

My application has been ready to be evaluated since December the 8th. I used the NMC website chat (today) to inquire how long is the normal wait time for Gap Closing only. I was told about 20 days.

I had an interesting experience this time through the process. When I first got my license, things progressed fairly steadily. This time it’s been sporadic, but each time I’ve checked up on my status it advanced the process.
[ul]
[li]Applied near the end of Sept for Raise in Scope. Things advanced every few days up until my medical evaluation when it stalled. After 2 weeks I checked online and a day later it got approved and things moved forward again.[/li][li]End of Oct it stalled at “Waiting to be assigned to PQEB”. After 3 weeks I checked online again, and once again a day later it got assigned to a PQEB and my Approval to Test followed shortly.[/li][/ul]

Once is a coincidence, twice made me wonder. Squeaky wheel gets the grease?

Well, it doesn’t appear to be any queue jumping happening

[QUOTE=Tom_Tugboat;193282]Well, it doesn’t appear to be any queue jumping happening[/QUOTE]

That sucks but it seems like your almost there anyway. Is your submission only for the gap closing requirements? If so they should have bumped you up like they did for me. I was at aprox. 40 days when I called was assigned next day, issued the day after and the pretty orange book arrived yesterday:)

40 days submittal to approval.
Milquetoast “no issues” renewal.
NMC was helpful and informative when I nudged them at abt 30 days, but I don’t think it speeded anything up …

Well, Well, well.

Just got the email that my app is FINALLY being evaluated.

So, app submitted Oct 2, sent from Juneau on 10/6.

A month of medical back and forth, to PQEB on 11/2

So, 49 calendar days, figure 2 days off for Thanksgiving, a day for Veterans day. 46 non-holiday days

Depending on how they count it only 32 business days

At any rate, way too long

I was told an 8 week minimum wait, app went in 1 OCT. Still waiting to be evaluated.

Update- just got the email that my app is being evaluated now… after 71 days waiting for PQEB.

And after 72 days it’s been evaluated and I’m approved to test for CM Unlimited… though no update to my current license for the gap closing… :confused: and of course they’re closed for the holidays now so I can’t find out about that.

I submitted my application to remove the gap closing restriction the last week of November. I requested that my application be expedited, and it is now with an evaluator. That appears to have somewhat reduced the wait time.

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;193239]My application has been ready to be evaluated since December the 8th. I used the NMC website chat (today) to inquire how long is the normal wait time for Gap Closing only. I was told about 20 days.[/QUOTE]

Application has been evaluated on December 27th and approved for issuance, just shy of 20 days.