This may be of interest to some?

*applied to the NMC on 10/08 requesting that they add via “insert” all the “inherent” STCW endorsements/notations to my new style MMC that was issued in Aug09…NMC gave me a “courtesy call” today to say that the credential had been mailed on 10/19…that is very quick…I am still in a state of shock!

*this will give me the following STCW endorsements noted on the document: II/2 (Master), II/1 (OICNW),
II/4 (RFPNW), IV/2 (GMDSS), VI/1 (BST), VI/2 (Survival Craft), VI/3 (Advanced Firefighting), VI/4 (Medical Care Provider), VI/5 (Vessel Security Officer).

*it is my understanding the NMC has began listing “all” the qualifed STCW endorsements on MMC issued after 09/01/09.

**my reasoning is that this should eliminate some of the confusion in the employment process…particularly in applying for jobs in the international market.

To be honest I’ve had no trouble with them. They sent my first MMC with new VSO endorsement (it took about 2 months but they were swamped) the end of June, but it had errors. I contacted them and a new corrected MMC was mailed and received within a week. Recently I received word that I had passed one of my pilotage exams and the information was forwarded to NMC for issuance, I received the endorsement exactly one week after being notified of passing the exam.

I’ve heard of others who’ve had long unexplained delays, but I’ve never seen it.

[quote=seadawg;19923]*applied to the NMC on 10/08 requesting that they add via “insert” all the “inherent” STCW endorsements/notations to my new style MMC that was issued in Aug09…NMC gave me a “courtesy call” today to say that the credential had been mailed on 10/19…that is very quick…I am still in a state of shock!

*this will give me the following STCW endorsements noted on the document: II/2 (Master), II/1 (OICNW),
II/4 (RFPNW), IV/2 (GMDSS), VI/1 (BST), VI/2 (Survival Craft), VI/3 (Advanced Firefighting), VI/4 (Medical Care Provider), VI/5 (Vessel Security Officer).

*my reasoning is that this should eliminate some of the confusion in the employment process…particularly in applying for jobs in the international market.[/quote]
Can I ask how exactly you made this application? Dis you write a letter? Or fill out a form?

“package” included (1) letter to REC (2) letter to NMC (3) completed form 719B…no fees for STCW (4) all documentation that was “relevent”…about 20 pages in all…attempted to make the package as “mate proof” as possible for everyone that came in contact with it:rolleyes:!!

*update…recieved the endorsements “insert” in today’s afternoon mail…very quick indeed!!

*maybe too quick??recieved all the requested endorsements with the exception of one??the II/1 (OICNW) was left off without explaination??now possess 1600/3000 master without mate endorsement??very confusing??assume it was a “oversight”??will be calling and emailing on monday to see what that is about??

*wonder how much of this type of thing is going on??currently possess two of the new style MMCs because NMC didn’t get that right the first time??anyone know how to dispose of an invalid new type MMC??wonder how many of those are “floating arround out there”??<<<punn intended!!

[quote=seadawg;19923]*applied to the NMC on 10/08 requesting that they add via “insert” all the “inherent” STCW endorsements/notations to my new style MMC that was issued in Aug09…NMC gave me a “courtesy call” today to say that the credential had been mailed on 10/19…that is very quick…I am still in a state of shock!

*it is my understanding the NMC has began listing “all” the qualifed STCW endorsements on MMC issued after 09/01/09.

**my reasoning is that this should eliminate some of the confusion in the employment process…particularly in applying for jobs in the international market.[/quote]
Seadawg, can you send me the link to find what all the acronyms stand for?

Steve,

are you refering to the “codes” ie. II/2 and such?

*check out MPT site>STCW>code comparision:
http://www.mptusa.com/

*also…on this site is a link to the actual code:
http://www.imo.org/includes/blastDataOnly.asp/data_id%3D7864/STCWCode.pdf

**another version:
http://www.jf-recruiting.com/a/pdf/STCW_codes.pdf

[quote=seadawg;19963]Steve,

are you refering to the “codes” ie. II/2 and such?

*check out MPT site…STCW page
http://www.mptusa.com/

*also…on this site is a link to the actual code.
http://www.imo.org/includes/blastDataOnly.asp/data_id%3D7864/STCWCode.pdf[/quote]

Yes, Thanks alot, I have found some but not all of them and people keep asking me what the codes mean…

Steve try this on too… STCW Codes: Comparison Chart

NAUTICART and Capt. Steve Foster, thanks for the info in these posts, just received my new MMC and I will need to get at least one dropped endorsement; VI/3, I think II/1 is only for Mates?

just a further update…re: having the STCW II/1 endorsement added to my MMC… today after 2 phone conversations w/ the NMC customer service center…they did call me back…they insist it is inherent to the document…my response was then why not list it like you did the others??they directed me to request reconsideration from Technical Support Branch (5-0)…shot them an email…will see how that goes??

**I think I may know the direction “this” is all going…but I want to see something in writing!!

I had the same issue (see my previous post). All I did was send an email explaining that I wanted the endorsements listed specifically for better foreign recognition, and the send a sticker with the missing STCW endorsements in about four weeks.

http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-training-licensing/2579-foreign-recognition-credential.html

Windjammer,

your post that you reference was a principle factor in me pursuing this matter and I wish to thank you for that…have already received an “insert” w/ II/2-II/4-IV/2-VI/1-VI/2-VI/3-VI/4-VI/5…I had also requested II/1 which they omitted w/o explanation…have applied for reconsideration to determine why this particular code was omitted…if this is not oversight and they wish to deny me I would like to have something in writing w/ specifics!!

BTW…as a matter curiousity…do you have the II/1 endorsement on your MMC and if so did you transition from mate to master??

[quote=seadawg;20150]Windjammer,

your post that you reference was a principle factor in me pursuing this matter and I wish to thank you for that…have already received an “insert” w/ II/2-II/4-IV/2-VI/1-VI/2-VI/3-VI/4-VI/5…I had also requested II/1 which they omitted w/o explanation…have applied for reconsideration to determine why this particular code was omitted…if this is not oversight and they wish to deny me I would like to have something in writing w/ specifics!!

BTW…as a matter curiousity…do you have the II/1 endorsement on your MMC and if so did you transition from mate to master??[/quote]

I may be wrong but I think the II/1 is on the STCW when you are holding an active Mate’s license…

further update…called the NMC “help line” for a status update on my “reconsideration”…all they could tell me is it had been referred to “5 0” and to expect a 6-8 week wait for a decesion…seems like this process involves an inordinate amount of time…couldn’t get past the “gate keeper” this time and was told to wait 2 weeks and call back…anyone know how to contact “5 0” directly…“book em Danno”!!

Take it right to the top. Send Capt. Stalfort an email and let him know what’s going on.

thanks for the advise…will give them their 2 weeks and call again…after that I’ve already got an appeal package prepared for Capt. Stalford and intend to reapply for the omitted STCW II/1 endorsement thru the REC at the same time I make the appeal…if you can’t dazzle them then baffle them!!

Well, they are finally consistent. When my reconsideration started it was “about three weeks” and then it just kept getting longer, and longer, and longer (you get teh idea). You really need to keep on them and a call, e-mail, and certified letter every two weeks is not out of line. They go on and on about how much better things are and for those of you who got a decent turn around, congratulations, but from my experience and talking with other mariners, I would say you were lucky.

kzoo pilot,

suspect what I’m now experiencing is that in their 'tiger team" rush to get the log jam out the door the evaluators may have generated quite a few inconsistencies and those of us requesting clarification are being referred to the “3rd floor”, the “5 0” or the neverneverland lost boys department??

According the the former evaluator who posted here many times, the attitude was to do exactly what you’re describing, seadawg. Rush 'em out and fix the boo-boos later.