Letter from NMC about STCW

[ATTACH]1835[/ATTACH]

So I just received my MMC with my C/M added to it and included with it was the attached letter. It appears that this is a letter sent with all MMCs but was wondering if anyone knows any information on it. As always thanks for the info.

Yeah I got my C/M renewal yesterday in the mail ( took 2 weeks) with the same letter.
I think its the Manila Agreement passed last year: more STCW trAining coming down the line.
If you’re shipping already then it should be routine: I remember the anxiety back in 1994-1996 and 2000-2002… It’s just the same thing.

At least they are trying to get the word out, which is a hell of a lot more than they did in the 90s.

Thanks for sharing the letter.

Sukker, I did not receive one of those documents when I got my C/M upgrade. That being said, it was before the end of 2011 (Dec) so maybe I didn’t get screwed…or maybe I did and just don’t know it yet. It looks like they are alluding to the new management classes proposed in the NPRM.

You didn’t need to get one since you will have to renew before the deadline of 1 January 2017.

Well, at least they had enough sense to write a letter to tell you that something will happen at a certain time, but not sure when, and when it does happen, we don’t know exactly what “it” will be, but you better make sure you look for it, whatever it is, and very closely over the next 5 years because we are killing trees left and right to give every mariner the opportunity to be prepared by way of letter that says absolutely NOTHING. Ok, got it.

[QUOTE=anchorman;64737]Well, at least they had enough sense to write a letter to tell you that something will happen at a certain time, but not sure when, and when it does happen, we don’t know exactly what “it” will be, but you better make sure you look for it, whatever it is, and very closely over the next 5 years because we are killing trees left and right to give every mariner the opportunity to be prepared by way of letter that says absolutely NOTHING. Ok, got it.[/QUOTE]

My life for 23 years…

Unable to view the attached letter, what does it say?

Ugggh, saw a blurb about the contents of this letter on Quality Maritimr Training’s Facebook page.
When this rule does get published, wonder if it will be closest to the NPRM or the SNPRM.

I am thinking that the requirement to take all those classes for OICNW will be back in place to comply with STCW.

I got the same letter, it tells you absolutely nothing. The Coast Guard website tells you absolutely nothing. I think this is one of those cases that when whatever it is gets sprung on us, they’ll point back to the letter and say “We warned you!”

Actually, it is a big deal. There is no details because the final regulation hasnt been published, but they are saying we will all be subject to it regardless of the expiration date on your MMC.

Pay attention to the new rule and make sure you get in compliance or you may not be able to work even if you have an otherwise valid MMC. There will be no grace period until your next renewal/upgrade.

I realize that my MMC expires prior to said regulations, I just enjoy seeing Sukker sweat. If you know him you can enjoy this comment.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;64912]Actually, it is a big deal. There is no details because the final regulation hasnt been published, but they are saying we will all be subject to it regardless of the expiration date on your MMC.

Pay attention to the new rule and make sure you get in compliance or you may not be able to work even if you have an otherwise valid MMC. There will be no grace period until your next renewal/upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I think people realize that, but the point to the letter’s content, or lack there of - any licensed profession that falls under the auspices of government regulation, part of your duty holding that license is to be educated on the changes of regulation that may or may not effect the authority of that license. We all do that as licensed mariners (minus a few). For the Coast Guard to now send a letter on a change without giving a date puts you right back where you started. Do I consider that a waste? Pretty Much.

As far as seeing someone sweat… Why in the world would somebody want to see a Louisiana midget farmer named Sukker with a passion for sail boats sweat? That’s just gross.

I talked to someone in the Licensing side of the house in DC. Basically, there are changes coming but they are not 100% sure what they are. This was just a shot across the bow to wake us up.

With previous changes in tonnage and some STCW, when you renewed you were “grandfathered” in and sometimes up to a bigger license. This will no longer be happening AND if you do not have all your ducks in a row, for example getting certain sign-offs or new required schooling done for that license that you already hold, you WILL NOT be renewed.

Therefore there are a few of things you need to do as a mariner;

1. Keep abreast of any changes to new requirements or changes in requirements.
  2. Start responding to those solicitations for comments when the USCG is asking for them when changes are being made to laws and regulations. I can tell you
    that most of the comments are from big corporations indirectly through their personnel departments and looking to save money, insurance companies looking
    for liability shelters, and maritime law firms.
  3. Start your renewal a year early so if they turn you down because you are missing something, you have time to get it done
  4. Become your federal representative’s (Congressweasel or Senator) new best friend. I posted all the representatives and senators involved with the USCG and
    licensing last year. If I get bored I will try and find it and repost it.

There are some MAJOR changes coming down the pipe especially for hawsepipers, be aware and stay on your Congressweasel to ensure you have a livelihood. Most of this stuff is coming through the IMO and since we (The USofA) are a member, our government has little or no choice in implementing them unless congress gets involved. You know congress, the ones that can not balance a checkbook, spend your money like drunken sailors (I could not resist) and regulate your personal because they are smarter than you and know what is good for you better than you do.

The letter was a heads-up so you do not get blindsided and the NMC has plausible deniability when the changes come and people who do not follow the regulation changes are not aware of them and are ready to burn down the NMC.

Anchorman, you made my day, I am still chuckling, and then I laughed a little bit more thinking about his new salute he will have to perform while at attention reporting to watch change everyday! This will only boost his eternal pessimism. Classic. Hopefully he gets around to reading these posts between fresh’n up the cap’s coffee.

Good to hear that we have no idea what the NMC has planned but have determined that my friends are a bunch of assholes.

What is relatively certain is the training that STCW will require to retain/renew your STCW. You remember in 2002 when you had to take BST, BRM, etc. This time everyone will need to take a BST refresher before 2017. Additionally officers (Master, Mate, Ch & Asst engineers) will need to take Advanced FF refresher and I think a PSC (lifeboat) refresher. If you serve on a ship with ECDIS you will need that training BEFORE 2017. People with designated security duties, will need to get that new endorsement by 2014. New mariners must take a training course. Experienced mariners should have the option of a course or demonstrating competence and experience.

Beyond that we will need to see what the final regulation says.

Richard

Here is some more information

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/brochure/stcw.pdf