This may be of interest to some?

if that is indeed the case…seems counter-productive and would tend to further alienate the NMC and the mariner??

Reactive v. Proactive approach to problem solving is a cherished bureaucratic tradition.

[B]**finally received closure last week from the NMC regarding an issue that has been pending since October 2009!![/B]

[B]click on[/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][ATTACH=CONFIG]857[/ATTACH][/FONT]

[B]**During the process there were a few instances of sanity and I thank those responsible… BUT all things considered it was a pretty pathetic experience!![/B]

Congratulations seadawg,Persistance pays off once more!

[QUOTE=seadawg;32952][B]**finally received closure last week from the NMC regarding an issue that has been pending since October 2009!![/B]

[B]click on[/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][ATTACH=CONFIG]857[/ATTACH][/FONT]

[B]**During the process there were a few instances of sanity and I thank those responsible… BUT all things considered it was a pretty pathetic experience!![/B][/QUOTE]

Congratulations. The appeal process is good if you have all your ducks in a row, and it will pay off. Unfortunately, it causes Mr. Cavo a little bit more work. Now, are you going to apply for 3rd Mate Unlimited?

[QUOTE=Capt Brian;32987]Congratulations. The appeal process is good if you have all your ducks in a row, and it will pay off. Unfortunately, it causes Mr. Cavo a little bit more work. Now, are you going to apply for 3rd Mate Unlimited?[/QUOTE]

Brian,

not planning to open up that “can of worms”…will let someone else of similar circumstance attempt “sailing in those waters”??

my main concern was in relation to the new proposed STCW changes and what the next rabbit bullwinkle at the NMC was going to pull out of his hat might be??:rolleyes:

“This will give you…” as in you haven’t seen it yet with your very own eyes? I am curious because I have the RFPNW on my STCW but don’t have the BST listed. Should these be listed or are they inherent to the RFPNW?

Please post back when you can.

Thread bump:

When I went from 500 ton mate ocean / OICNW to Master 1600 ton ocean they gave me II/2 but not II/1, should I call and ask to get that added to my MMC?

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;44738]Thread bump:When I went from 500 ton mate ocean / OICNW to Master 1600 ton ocean they gave me II/2 but not II/1, should I call and ask to get that added to my MMC?[/QUOTE]

[B][U]IMHO[/U][/B]…due to my particular situation I felt the NMC needed to list ALL applicatable STCW endorsements…suggest you read this entire thread and come to your own conclusion as to how it might or might not apply??

I did read the entire thread but was looking for other people’s perspective on whether this has been an issue for them (having II/2 but sailing as mate and being told they needed II/1) or not. Or if the NMC had officially resolved the issue. The thread is a year old after all… I also have already sent my email to the NMC asking why it was left off and requesting a correction.

This is the reply I received from the NMC: “The II/2 is a higher rating therefore it will override the II/1 you held prior to your upgrade.” Any thoughts? Anyone had II/2 and been told they aren’t qualified to sail as OICNW/Mate because they don’t have II/1?

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;44798]This is the reply I received from the NMC: “The II/2 is a higher rating therefore it will override the II/1 you held prior to your upgrade.” Any thoughts? Anyone had II/2 and been told they aren’t qualified to sail as OICNW/Mate because they don’t have II/1?[/QUOTE]

I am wrestling with them now. That appeal earlier in the thread may come in handy for me because I have been having that II/2 and II/1 arguement with them and apparently this battle has already been fought.

Has anybody thought about putting copies of ALL appeals in one thread so people do not have to reinvent the wheel every time. I really do not think that any appeal sets a precedent like it does in trial law.

Comments?

I want to see if anyone has had an issue working as OICNW with II/2 before I spend all kinds of effort fighting the NMC to give me the II/1.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;44828]I want to see if anyone has had an issue working as OICNW with II/2 before I spend all kinds of effort fighting the NMC to give me the II/1.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if anyone has an issue or not but I am going to keep going with mine for two reasons;

1. I have been working hard to get this done.

2. If nobody stands up and fights them, the numbers showing how good their improvements on their website will keep going up.

Found out something interesting the other day, the evaluators can only use “checklists”. For anything not covered on their “checklist” immediately gets stoppped and in most cases must be appealed making appeals the rule not the exception.

7 months and counting on my upgrade…

Just out of curiousity, how come a bosun’s mate uses a quartermaster’s rate emblem for an avatar?

Because I was a QM for 17 of my 22 years and never did a BM billet except for my last 4 years as an Executive Petty Officer.