The USNS Mercy is headed to Seattle

Those two ships will get infected eventually. It’s a matter of when not if and how MSC and the Navy will deal with it.

2 Likes

Agreed, but how it happens and whether it will degrade their mission capability seems to be the question.

1 Like

Put yourself in the mind of a frightened New Yorker holed up in a tiny apartment for two weeks now, in a city nearly devoid of traffic except for the occasional scream of another ambulance going by. Your bank account is empty. Your credit card is tapped. You can hear the guy in the apartment next to you coughing his lungs out.

Then you see a hospital ship–one you paid tax dollars for-- in the news, sitting all but empty.

You might be inclined to think the exercise a little theatrical… :face_with_thermometer:

3 Likes

We all need to take a deep breath, this is a rapidly developing situation. The issue with the COMFORT is being addressed. The slow start has been due to patient screening/testing taking place in city hospitals which has placed a burden on them. This is being corrected as we speak; the process will now take place on the docks so we should see numbers change quickly and the ships readied for a mission it was not designed for.
It’s easy to find fault with some aspects of the response but very positive things are happening. I’m personally super impressed and encouraged by the number of medically qualified volunteers who have stepped forward at great personal risk and sacrifice in NY State alone; 85,000 and 22,000 from out of state. They are genuine heroes. We can’t thank these people enough.

4 Likes

Amen. :grinning:

1 Like

It was a local shortline that serves the port, Pacific Harbor Line.

1 Like

They just got covid patients there by ‘accident.’

Nice coordination effort. Glad Operation Thunderball is going well so far.

I thought there was a tighter bond between the civmars and USN. Guess I heard wrong.

The experience of the group I work for has been that neither side plays well with others.

A marine colonel I attended classes with saw us as ship chauffeurs to carry his troops.

When not if.

On COMFORT it’s a CIVMAR deck officer who is positive and symptomatic. He is still onboard in isolation. Messed up thing is the last time he was ashore was 26 MAR. That was about ten days before showing symptoms. All the while he was aboard eating with shipmates, on the bridge while underway and for arrival…

They aren’t testing the other CIVMARs he was in contact with unless they show symptoms so who knows how many have it?

1 Like

Like the man said:

Yeah but that man also said

So yeah…

Like a stopped 24 hour clock, he was right at least once a day.

Gov. Cuomo just announced on TV that COMFORT was approved by DoD and DoN to take on 500 COVID patients. He said there weren’t many non-COVID patients because of the city shutdown. My contacts on COMFORT say they have been preparing for it for a few days now.

Well, no point in responding to garbage. It looks like we have another of the bizarro types joining in conspiricy theories and alien encounter style explanations.

1 Like