The Singapore way

Sounds more realistic.

Yam Seng!!!:

Rubbish doesnt go into land fill in Singapore, just ashes from the incinerator so not as bad as it sounds

I believe they collect the breads BEFORE they go to the incinerator in Tuas :grinning:
Since you are in Singapore maybe you could give us an unbiased report. Does it really tast like beer, or just water with breadcrumbs??

PS> Since they apparently brew different types of beer from different types of bread it may become an enjoyable night at the Marina with your buddies to taste them all.

havnt seen it yet, will let you know when I find it

It is Ramadan and the Geyland Serai Ramadan Market is back at full force:

PS> More food is consumed during Ramadan than any other time of the year.

Singapore Skyline as seen from Eastern Anchorage: (should be familiar to many)

Jan de Nul’s TSHD VITUS BERING at Singapore Eastern anchorage. Another beautiful ending of a hot day. Photo: Bart C. Brusse Chief Engineer o/b Vitus Bering (c)

PS> They have anchored as close as possible to Marina South Pier for a ship this size.

Since there is no on water immigration any more the vessels want to be close to reduce the time the whole crew have to go ashore to clear in/out.
I saw a large ahts the other day on DP almost close enough to put the plank out.

Gov departments are cost cutting like crazy but ignoring the consequences, ship yards went crazy as now a technician has to go from Marina south to Sembawang by bum boat for a sea trial…ahh start work at midnight, get home at midnight

Now they are going to remove paper charts but what about vessels 2999grt and pleasureboats?

And there is some internet problem they are not talking about along with

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-29/singapore-s-dbs-suffers-digital-banking-disruption

Cost going up, factories closing

Coupled with the gov raising the currency up which they explain away as controlling internl cost, the export of services are getting less and less compedative.
Nobody happy at the moment and dont see a good future.

Except property owners who are jacking rents up to 100%

Wrong, but it is true that inward clearance is no longer done at the anchorages.
The procedure for Ships clearing in to Singapore is to submit a declaration 24 hrs. before arrival:

The restrictions for crew’s shore leave and crew change due to Covid-19 restrictions has been lifted per 13. Febr. 2023:
https://www.mpa.gov.sg/media-centre/details/port-marine-circular-no.-03-of-2023-crew-change-and-shore-leave-for-cargo-ships-in-the-port-of-singapore-and-application-for-vaccination
As has always been the rule, crew that want to go ashore has to pass through checkpoints, as does any person that visits ships. For ships at anchorages the two main checkpoints are at Marina South Pier and West Coast Pier.

It is true that ships like to anchor as close to MSP as possible. That is not new and was the same when the landing point was at Clifford Pier.

Yes the ICI had a rare computer problem causing delays and complains:

DBS had a compute outrage again, for the second time in 3 years. Horror!!

Interests, Costs and Rents are going up world wide, incl. in Singapore.
International Trade is decreasing as well.
Private house rent in Singapore has always been high relative to neighboring countries.
This mainly affect Expats though, since most Singaporeans own HDB flats, or Condos (90%):

The Sing$ is actually falling at the moment, but the stock exchange index is rising, since a weaker S$ is good for export business.

If I haven’t said it before I’ll repeat it now; get out of that afoul place full of uneducated Asians living in HDB flats and run by incompetent politicians.
There must be somewhere more to your liking.(??)

Not talking about the ships its the crew, same for pleasureboats, we all have to do the 24 hr notice and you must show your face to immigration office on the land.
Both of those could previously be done on the water when that suited the vessel. They changed the legislation and enforced it but it was just budget move. Shop yards made major protests about it.
Police got lumbered with more work as they now have to inspect a shipyard so it can apply for land clearance.
More cost more hassle.

Jumping on the internet, your only source of information then posting half the story and sayiing I’m wrong
So childish.

The gov pushes up the SGD when the US interest rate goes up. What they dont want to talk about is the interest bill on the USD debt singapore has which is why most believe they spend billions pushing the SGD up.

Hard to get the real number as USD bank deposits as liabilities is part of that.

Whats “wrong” is your zealous claim that you know whats happening in Singapore when you keep showing that you dont.

I don’t think Singapore has turned 180 degrees on everything since last I was there, (three years ago)
I spent most of my life living there and do keep up with what is happening still, even if from a distance.

As for the debt of any country that has to be balanced against the GDP to get “the big picture”. Singapore is way ahead of most OECD countries in that respect:
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/BN.CAB.XOKA.GD.ZS?locations=SG
You can check your favorite countries if you are in doubt.

PS> Singapore hasn’t been in negative territory since 1987.

I have no experience with clearing in and out by pleasure crafts but it make sense that those arriving at a marina has to show their face at an Immigration Check Point.

I DO have experience leaving and arriving, or visiting ships at anchorages, shipyards and alongside both PSA and private wharfs, however.

Both crews and pax have to go true check points when leaving and returning to ships in port, whether for shore leave, or any other purpose.

Singapore is a Free Port, so anybody visiting vessels in port has to show ID when entering and leaving the port area, or going to/from the anchorages.

If visiting ships that is passing by, or anchored Outside Port Limits (OPL) the only allowed check point is at Harbourfront Ferry Terminal.

PS> IIRC the change from clearance at the anchorage to advanced clearance was in 2006, so not a recent event.

Debt to GDP is the number that makes the Singapore look bad, 3rd worst in the world

They claim they have assets to cover this, thats ok but how big is the interest bill now that USD interest rate has been going up and up?
Its all part of the financial data Singapore hides from the public, saying that USD banked is part of that so the figure might not be actual gov debt but partially bank deposits.
But if that were true its looks like Singapore has far more USD on deposit than Switzerland and Lichtenstein added together?
The scramble for cash by the gov at the moment is a telling sign, not concerned with slowing inflation at all the gov is still creating it.

Did the company ever make any money or just borrow to expand?
Another Enron?

Singapore doesn’t appear to be doing too bad in the present situation and maintain it’s place as #1 in Economic Freedom:

Singapore’s Sovereign Credit Rating is AAA and stable:

as long as you are paying the interest bill you maintain your credit rating
but ouch…
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/singapore/economists-downgrade-singapores-2023-growth-forecast-warn-technical-recession

Not really.
Credit ratings of countries or even large companies are not based on facts but on the expectations that they could fulfill the future interest payments and, later, pay back the credit.

If they do not pay an interest rate, they are in default. This means often that this credit, and all others, will immediately be canceled and due.

but not when we are talking countries, when the bill is large the lender has the problem

There is and old saying that goes something like this:

AFAIK NOBODY is afraid that the Singapore Government will not be able to pay the interests on it’s debt. Even if that should happens, only Singaporeans will suffer.

If the brinkmanship game played in the US Congress should go too far and the US default on it’s debt, the whole world would suffer.

1 Like

Won’t happen. The debt ceiling game is just that a game. Congress votes for spending but then decided not to pay? Idiotic. Silly political games. Nothing else.

2 Likes