The refit of the mighty little ship ORCA is underway!

Day three recap with pics this time

1. numerous rotten planks on stbd side cropped out and ready to be replaced (got some fine old growth Douglas Fir to use for new planks)

1. caulking continuing to be reefed out on stbd side as well

2. new genset lowered into engineroom ready to be hooked up!

1. lots of sanding done on port hull above waterline and a couple of punky planks ends lopped off

tomorrow, begin reefing out caulking on port side and sanding of stbd hull above waterline plus hook up new getset!

schedule is slipping with refloat of vessel now set for Tuesday next week due to extent of new planking required.

All in all, I am still very happy with everything even though the scope of the refit has grown considerably. All the hull work is needed and it does not come as a surprise although I was not expecting it to be as extensive as discovered. In the end, ORCA will be a much better and more sound vessel than she was when I purchased her and I am very hopeful that a rehaul of the vessel will not be required for two full years when this work is completed.

Ah. the many endless joys of owning an old large wooden boat!

[QUOTE=Flyer69;117419]Could work, you are basically splining that seam. With a REALLY FUCKING BIG spline ;)[/QUOTE]

plan scrubbed…no cost savings to do a splice on a plank. Just decided to replace the whole damned thing!

Looking good there capt!

[QUOTE=rshrew;117455]Looking good there capt![/QUOTE]

thanks…your kind words are much appreciated!

Now is the time to soak those bulwarks and the clamp with Timbor.

[QUOTE=Steamer;117464]Now is the time to soak those bulwarks and the clamp with Timbor.[/QUOTE]

speak Engrish man!..please explain?

I’m sitting on a wooden chain at a wooden table in a house made of wood.

Wood is good.

But for a boat? Steel is real.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;117472]Wood is good.

But for a boat? Steel is real.[/QUOTE]

I don’t disagree but a man with a steel constitution can handle owning a wooden boat (although it takes a lot of paper to keep the thing afloat)

[QUOTE=c.captain;117471]speak Engrish man!..please explain?[/QUOTE]

It’s classed as an insecticide but it works extremely well at killing the fungus that we know as dry rot. When I had my wooden tug I used it regularly on the areas that were exposed to rainwater … which you will soon know is the most dangerous chemical known to wooden boat owners.

http://nisuscorp.com/architects/products/tim-bor-professional

Oh yeah, I’m still getting used to NOT washing down the tuna boat a the end of the day with freshwater. Only place that sees fresh is the windows!

sorry no update for yesterday but Wednesday’s worklist accomplished was

1. all hookups completed for genset
  2. reefing out stbd side caulking begun
  3. upper hull on stbd side sanded and fairing begun
  4. fitting of new planks begun

I’m just waking up and I am still exhausted…I now am beginning to feel the strain of the pace!

[QUOTE=c.captain;117523]

I’m just waking up and I am still exhausted…I now am beginning to feel the strain of the pace![/QUOTE]

Come on man…ships made of wood & men of steel and all that.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;117526]Come on man…ships made of wood & men of steel and all that.[/QUOTE]

so I am maybe not built of battleship plate but perhaps sheet metal instead but it is still steel.

Nice boat and project. Thanks for posting the progress…very interesting.

[QUOTE=78BM98;117549]Nice boat and project. Thanks for posting the progress…very interesting.[/QUOTE]

thank you most kindly…

day four progress:

1. all caulking now removed and seams primed ready for new caulk to be pounding in
  2. all seams above waterline now filled waiting to be sanded (rain today so little progress otherwise with painting
  3. all planks requiring replacement above waterline done
  4. some filling done with planks below waterline using epoxy mixed with Portland
  5. electrician needed day off so no electrical progress

right now the tentative splash date is Wednesday next week and I see nothing to impede that from happening (otherwise all the surprises are all now discovered)

sorry but no new pics…will have some tomorrow

[QUOTE=c.captain;117566]4. some filling done with planks below waterline using epoxy mixed with Portland
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm…that a new one on me. I’ve never heard of blending epoxy & Portland cement. . I’ve used epoxy thinned with acetone, rags & paper towels as filler/binder, Experimented with bondo, vinyl ester putty Git-rot, CPES but never epoxy & Portland. Not saying it’s wrong, just new.

[QUOTE=“c.captain”]

thank you most kindly…

day four progress:

1. all seams above waterline now filled waiting to be sanded (rain today so little progress otherwise with painting
    /QUOTE]

Yeah what was this rain bs! Been hotter than hell for the last two months, botched my painting plans today as well!

Friday’s report

1. two more planks on stbd side replaced along with planks replaced on Thursday. Two more planks to go.

1. all caulking is reefed out on both sides and seams now primed. Caulking started today.

2. hull faired and sanded on both sides ready for base coat on Saturday

1. genset now fully installed ready to load test when boat is floated next week

so one more day down in Everett for me then one day at home before I return to work. My shipwright will superintend the completion of the project and returning the boat into the water next week so I won’t get to see the finish but photos will be provided to be which I will post here.

The end is in sight!

Saturday’s progress report

1. basecoat applied to entire hull

1. caulking well underway now

Today is a day off for everybody but looking really good for refloating on Wednesday. I am thrilled with how well all is going. ORCA will be one beautiful boat when the work is accomplished!

I also feel I need to toss in here that it is my crew of workers, who I have been so very fortune to have found, are truly the one’s making this project such a success…every one of them to a man is absolutely top flight and frankly would be a bargain at double their rate. It is certainly one thing that we learn with experience is that it is good people working for you that makes a master’s or project superintendent’s job a joy versus a nightmare!

I wish you all the best. Nice job with the boat.