The lifeboat wall of shame

Id guess its the other way round. The boat was designed in Norway, to cost, and then built badly under licence in Korea or China, and the builders cut more corners which the Norwegians didnt (want to) find.

1 Like

The Norwegian marine business model is to give the equipment away and then take the piss with the spare parts.

Have you managed to find something cheap in Norway?

You (and others here) have misunderstood me. I’m fully aware of the accomplishment of MIT and the fact that many of the best Universities and Research Institutions in the world are found in USA.

I don’t denige that, or try to belittle everything American, contrary to popular belief, but I try to stick a needle in inflated perceptions of superiority of all things American and the negative attitude to anything foreign. I have lived too long and seen to much to believe that the colour of your passport (or your skin) make any difference to your abilities, or your worth.

Yes I’ll have a look at this book. I notice in the Acknowledgements that there are some familiar names. Even my former boss and mentor, who gave me my first command at the tender age of 27, against all advice that I was too young and inexperienced.

That tankers, bulkers and Container vessels have been built too weak, especially after computers give us the ability to calculate stresses and strength with more accuracy is a known fact.

In 1975 I attended for the sailaway of a brand new rig from a yard in Japan, where I met a “god ol’ boy” who was responsible for the design of that and some of the early offshore rigs, He held the title Dr. Eng. and was educated at MIT, but of the old school.

He told me; “I let those young guys with their fancy computer calculate what thickness THEY think we need, THEN I DOUBLE IT”. (Some oldtimers here may recognize him from that description) Those days are over.

1 Like

Well I happen to agree with you… but what does that have to do with my comments about these lifeboats?

Just last week I published two articles about the use of drones for rescues.

One article praises the efforts of a Norweigan company:

The other blasts the American Coast Guard:

So where is my pro-america bias?

Anyway if you still think that I think my own shit doesn’t stink… well… send me your address and I’ll mail you a sample :wink:

4 Likes

From my experience (in Korea) with regards to “standard design” ships, the shipyard gives the owner a list of equipment. During contract negotiations there are manufacturer options to choose from for some equipment. For example HFO Purifiers; Either Samgong-Mitsubishi or Westfalia (with the Samgong-Mitsubishi being the cheaper option).

2 Likes

Yes you get choices, or you can specify equipment not on their list, but that cost a lot more and may also be delaying delivery.

I believe that this doubling of material thickness of construction components was followed by the US Navy after the loss of the submarine USS Thresher.

I have no recent experience of Chinese Shipyards but early on Mose equipment was owner supplied

No, it wasn’t. Thresher was the lead ship of a class of fourteen, all of which were built and retired after long service. You could not double material thickness in a submarine without increasing its size, as submarines are already mostly sunk while running on the surface and have little margin for error.

In the early days of building ships and rigs in China, nearly all equipment was owner supplied, since there were no quality equipment to be had in China.

When Ocean Rig built 4 bare deck units in Dalian in the 1990’s even some of the steel was imported, since the locally made steel didn’t meet specs. 2 of the hulls were transported to USA and fitted out as MODUs. (They became the Eirk Raude and Leive Erikson), while the other 2 hulls were left in layup at the yard awaiting better times.
After nearly 2 years it was panic, because China demanded customs duty on the steel, unless it was re-exported within 4 years as stated on the import permit.
I was engaged to find a suitable layup point near Singapore, which I did. But they got an extension Panic over.
Another two years and I was asked to find another layup place in Dalian, because the yard wanted them away to clear space at their yard. New plan and new place found, but then they got another suitable layup place in Dalian.

Those two hulls were finally sold to Noble, towed to Singapore and became the Noble Danny Atkins and Noble Jim Day.
I attended while loading that last one on the Blue Marlin in Singapore 2010.
Blue Marlin submerged to her maximum:
P6091070

Loaded and lifted:
P6101126

Seafastening in progress:
P6101113

What happened to the lifeboats?

The ship is your best lifeboat. “Safe return to port” is the new normal:

No problem and no argument about open, closed or freefall.

Only thing cheap in Norway appears to be your constant praise of anything and everything Norwegian on this forum.

4 Likes

Yes that is for free.
It is a public interest service to ensure that there are some counter balance to the inflate belief in the superiority in all things American that appears to prevail here.
No, I don’t expect any medal, or acclamation.

Most Norwegians on work visas in the US love it here. They like low taxes, cheap beer, cheap gas, cheaper and bigger cars, and American women. They don’t want to go back to Norway.

2 Likes

As long as they pay their fee to remain in the Norwegian welfare system they are OK.

You forgot about the weather bonus, at least for those who live in Florida, Texas and Southern California, which is were I believe most Norwegians on work visas are. (Especially Houston)

PS> There are some Americans living in Norway/Scandinavia that is happy with their lot as well (weather not withstanding).
Here is an article from one that admittedly returned to USA after 4 years in Norway:

Of course she is a dangerous “ultra-leftist” that is spouting “fake news” and propaganda.

The shipowner holds one big card though: they dont have to buy a ship, they can invest is something else.
The shipyard has to sell ships. Id blame the Owner/Technical manager for not putting safety items at the top of their list in the horsetrading rounds. A shitty bit of machinery will 100% give you headaches for years, while a shitty safety equipment will 99% not be revealed as such.

1 Like

Just to move away a bit from the usual Norway/USA rivalry, and get back to something about lifeboats, I attach a link to an article I wrote about a Port State Inspection which became the subject of an MAIB investigation. It illustrates the fact that your troubles don’t end just when you get enclosed lifeboats, and also that you still need the support of your management (a fact often made by the MAIB). http://www.shipsandoil.co.uk/the-negata-reefer-lifeboats .

3 Likes

Do you need someone to carry your briefcase? I’d move to Aalesund tomorrow.