Texas A&M or SUNY

Right now, as you can see from other people on this board, the market is pretty slow. I know for a fact (because I’m trying) that the deep sea market is stagnant right now. About a year ago, you could get a job on a tug pretty easily, but recently tug companies started laying off people all over the place - one of the big tug companies in NY harbor laid off their whole class of new hires before they step foot on a boat. With that said, I don’t know a thing about the OSV market - I have a few classmates who are working down there in the Gulf, but it took them a while to find a job. But, by the time you complete either program (2 years or 4), I would say the market is probably going to be better than it is now.

And as John said, there are several good professors in the Master’s program at SUNY, and Jeff Weiss is an absolute riot in class.

I’m currently on “vacation” (not by choice), but I’m sailing deep sea when I’m actually employed.

After two months of sailing with Texas, go SUNY. I’m not impressed at all with A&M’s academics. Many of the seniors came onto the ship not even able to plot positions on charts…

[QUOTE=CMA_Decky;17279]After two months of sailing with Texas, go SUNY. I’m not impressed at all with A&M’s academics. Many of the seniors came onto the ship not even able to plot positions on charts…[/QUOTE]

After two months of sailing with Cal, I’m feeling the exact same way about you guys. The education is what you make of it, SUNY, Cal, or Texas. Besides, we’re not the ones flashing lights at the bridge during the night… Do you know how stupid that is?

Hahaha, damn I do not miss training cruises…

Go with SUNY.

Hmmmm I can’t speak for SUNY, but i would like to address CAL (since CMA_Decky brought it up)…

I would have to completely disagree about TMA cadets having a lesser academics. But i will agree that there is an obvious difference in where the focus is… For example, If i hadn’t sailed with CMA, i wouldn’t know how to sew a purse.

Actually i may be one of the few folks that really enjoyed sailing with CAL… After 4 years with the same folks at school, it’s nice to se some new folks and how they do their thing…