Texas A&M and the oil market collapse

Hello All,

I’m a senior in high school and have been accepted to Maine, Mass, and Texas A&M Galveston. Plan to major in maritime business so I won’t be getting a license. Does anyone know if one of these schools is better than the other two? I was considering Texas A&M but my father is concerned that the recent collapse in the oil market may make it hard to get internships during college and jobs in the Houston area after graduation. The concern is that oil may not come back for some time. Do you think the situation with the oil market will make it difficult for me to get internships in the Houston area would your recommend Maine or Mass over Texas?

Thanks

[QUOTE=NPKR;178256]Hello All,

I’m a senior in high school and have been accepted to Maine, Mass, and Texas A&M Galveston. Plan to major in maritime business so I won’t be getting a license. Does anyone know if one of these schools is better than the other two? I was considering Texas A&M but my father is concerned that the recent collapse in the oil market may make it hard to get internships during college and jobs in the Houston area after graduation. The concern is that oil may not come back for some time. Do you think the situation with the oil market will make it difficult for me to get internships in the Houston area would your recommend Maine or Mass over Texas?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The oil business is VERY cyclical. Considering that you are a year or two out from any internships, I would think it is likely that things will turn around. Look at the overall programs that are offered rather than internship opportunities. I can say that there are more opportunities in the Houston area alone than Mass or Maine, just based upon the size of the Port of Houston/Galveston (and Texas City, Bayport, Baytown, Freeport, etc.).

[QUOTE=NPKR;178256]I’m a senior in high school and have been accepted to Maine, Mass, and Texas A&M Galveston. Plan to major in maritime business so I won’t be getting a license. Does anyone know if one of these schools is better than the other two?[/QUOTE]

You are aware that Maine doesn’t have a Maritime business degree, right? Most of Maine’s business students wind up working for businesses around Maine like Hannaford (a grocery store chain) and have nothing to do with maritime business. There are plenty of businesses around Maine that hire summer business interns, or you could intern near where your parents live.

Thanks now all I can think aboot is lobstah roll from Hannafids.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;178314]Thanks now all I can think aboot is lobstah roll from Hannafids.[/QUOTE]

Hey, there is a joint selling (very good) lobstah rolls in Houston these days. . . .very good. . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;178336]Hey, there is a joint selling (very good) lobstah rolls in Houston these days. . . .very good. . . .[/QUOTE]

in Houma you can get them deem fried and filled with Mud Bugs

[QUOTE=c.captain;178338]in Houma you can get them deem fried and filled with Mud Bugs[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you know it just ain’t the same. . . and it is certainly easier in Houston to find a mud bug po’boy than a lobstah roll. . . .

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;178291]You are aware that Maine doesn’t have a Maritime business degree, right? Most of Maine’s business students wind up working for businesses around Maine like Hannaford (a grocery store chain) and have nothing to do with maritime business. There are plenty of businesses around Maine that hire summer business interns, or you could intern near where your parents live.[/QUOTE]

So you’re saying that The Loeb-Sullivan School of International Business and Logistics at Maine Maritime Academy is not accredited?

I can’t speak for It being accredited, but it’s international business and logistics, nor marine or maritime business.

[QUOTE=NPKR;179019]So you’re saying that The Loeb-Sullivan School of International Business and Logistics at Maine Maritime Academy is not accredited?[/QUOTE]

I’m fairly certain it is accredited but it [B]isn’t[/B] a Maritime Business degree. It’s just a business degree (International Business and Logistics) offered by a Maritime Academy.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;179060]I’m fairly certain it is accredited but it [B]isn’t[/B] a Maritime Business degree. It’s just a business degree (International Business and Logistics) offered by a Maritime Academy.[/QUOTE]

Does Massachusetts Maritime Academy or Texas A&M offer a true Maritime Business degree?

[QUOTE=NPKR;179092]Does Massachusetts Maritime Academy or Texas A&M offer a true Maritime Business degree?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully if you are able to graduate high school you can use the internet to answer your own questions.

I’ll help you out though:

Mass Maritime - International [B]Maritime[/B] Business

TMA - [B]Maritime[/B] Administration (questionable whether it’s a “business” degree)

I did search the internet but, other than the word “maritime” appearing in the name of the program for Mass and Texas, their curriculums seemed to be fairly similar to Maine. All emphasized maritime-related business and logistics. I thought your answer indicated the degrees from Mass and Texas were specific maritime business degrees, different from Maine’s degree. But looking at everything I’m not sure they are much different.

Thanks for your responses

[QUOTE=NPKR;179099]I thought your answer indicated the degrees from Mass and Texas were specific maritime business degrees, different from Maine’s degree.[/QUOTE]

Um, that exactly what my answer is. Though honestly I highly doubt it matters to anyone looking to hire you.

I never claimed it would matter to employers or that curriculum would be any different but you said you wanted a “maritime business” degree. I pointed out that Maine doesn’t offer that.

Business is business. Any advantage from a maritime academy is likely from the associated maritime network

I’d go to regular college for business for the girls, drugs, parties etc.

Research the Breakbulk Conference and see what it’s about and all who show up for it. Happens every other year in Houston. There are plenty of other jobs that a marine administration major could go for other than the oil companies.