Tankerman PIC class with loads?

Does anyone know of a Tankerman PIC class that includes the loads and discharges? It would be great to get it all done at one time. Thanks

[QUOTE=brfoot;173863]Does anyone know of a Tankerman PIC class that includes the loads and discharges? It would be great to get it all done at one time. Thanks[/QUOTE]

There aren’t any. The Coast Guard won’t approve a course for more than 2 transfers (you need 10) and there are very few of those. As far as “getting it all done at one time…” do you realize you also need 90 days on a tank vessel? And if you already have that, why didn’t you get any transfers signed off then? If you don’t have the 90- days, but are looking for a course to substitute for the tanker experience, do you really think you’d be qualified to a be a PIC if you have never been on a tanker?

I have been working on a oil recovery barge in Valdez, AK that does not see any transfers. I was hoping to get my transfers/class done so I could get my upgrade.

The Star Center in Lauderdale has a class & simulator that gets you 5 loads & discharges.

Barge loads and discharges are easy enough to get, but what about tankship loads and discharges?

Are there any little harbor tankers left where one could get tankship transfers?

Any shore tankerman companies assisting with tankship transfers?

You don’t need them for tankermen pic

? How else?

[QUOTE=BlueH20;173896]? How else?[/QUOTE]

I think he probably meant that you don’t need tankship transfers to get Tankerman-PIC (Barge). That’s true.

However, I would not mind investing a few days here and there on harbor tankers (or assisting a shore tankerman on a tankship) to get Tankerman-PIC without the Barge restriction. I don’t like restrictions.

The harbor tankers are nearly extinct. I don’t know if the existing (newer) ones count as they’re usually “squirts” of lube oil etc

[QUOTE=tugsailor;173897]I think he probably meant that you don’t need tankship transfers to get Tankerman-PIC (Barge). That’s true.

However, I would not mind investing a few days here and there on harbor tankers (or assisting a shore tankerman on a tankship) to get Tankerman-PIC without the Barge restriction. I don’t like restrictions.[/QUOTE]

You’d still need seatime on a Tankship.

American Petroleum just got there new tanker. Its a 79 footer holds about 54,000 gallons of cargo. Don’t know if you can get tankship pic on it but i dont see why not. I think its taking over the Capt Logs run.

yes it maybe a loophole. I saw 500gt somewhere in the regs I looked through but it was a quick scan. Isn’t there a minimum load/discharge time like 4 hours or something as well as minimum product transferred? If not a company could set up a barge for the day at a terminal and just commerce and complete 50 gallon loads/discharges all day with a 2" fuel hose until their people got the “experience.”

Theres no time limit. I just got my PIC (barge) and there was nothing on the paperwork about timed loads or discharges. Maybe different for ships. I know a fee guys who got tankship pic from the old poling tankers. They only held 7k-8k barrels.

[QUOTE=NYBoatman;173937]Theres no time limit. …[/QUOTE]

There is a time limit. See 46 CFR 13.127(b) In particular, note paragraph (b)(5):

I In determining the numbers and kinds of transfers that the applicant has participated in under paragraph (a)(3) of this section, the following rules apply:

(1) A transfer must involve the loading or discharge from at least one of the vessel’s cargo tanks to or from a shore facility or another vessel. A shift of cargo from one tank to another tank is not a transfer for this purpose.
(2) Regardless of how long the transfer lasts beyond 4 hours, it counts as only one transfer.
(3) A transfer must include both a commencement and a completion.
(4) Regardless of how many tanks or products are being loaded or discharged at the same time, a person may receive credit for only one transfer, one loading, and one discharge conducted during each watch.
(5) Credit for a transfer during a watch of less than 4 hours accrues only if the watch includes either the connection and the commencement of transfer or the completion of transfer and the disconnection.
(6) Credit for a commencement of loading accrues only if the applicant participates in the pre-transfer inspection, the pre-transfer conference including execution of the Declaration of Inspection, the connection of hoses or loading-arms, the line-up of the system for the loading, the start of liquid flow, and the calculation of loading-rates, where applicable.
(7) Credit for a commencement of discharge accrues only if the applicant participates in the pre-transfer inspection, the pre-transfer conference including execution of the Declaration of Inspection, the connection of hoses or loading-arms, the line-up of the cargo system for the discharge, the start of the pump or pumps and increase of pressure to normal pressure for discharge, and the monitoring of discharge rates.
(8) Credit for a completion of transfer, whether loading or discharge, accrues only if the applicant participates in the topping-off at the loading port, or in the stripping of cargo tanks and the commencement of ballasting, if required by the vessel’s transfer procedures, at the discharge port.[/I]

[I]Mr. Cavo,

[/I] I will have completed the tanker course this friday. Do I have authority to sail in a position that requires tanker assist with my school certificate or, do I need to wait until it’s actually a page in my credential??