Take your time and do things right

A read:
http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=177937191&fPath=%2Fnews%2Flocal&fDomain=10212

Somebody Fucked up! When it come to Juice you can not be too safe!

Oops. “What’s the worst that could happen?”

I wonder if the guy who said there was no explosion would have said the same thing if he had been standing next to the motor when the melted copper “popped out?”

Well, they are definitely going to need another paint job.

Somebody confirm for me that this had to be a DC motor? Lots and lots of DC amps to a motor with a locked shaft and shit melts FAST!

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;88313]A read:[/QUOTE]

where have you been John? People here were worried you might have blown yourself igniting one of your famous flaming turds or that you and your brother might have offed eachother in a Mexican standoff!

We all know you “mountain men” types…get a little hooch in y’all and for the hills!

[QUOTE=cmakin;88319]Oops. “What’s the worst that could happen?”[/QUOTE]

I have a few suggestions.

[QUOTE=c.captain;88349]where have you been John? People here were worried you might have blown yourself igniting one of your famous flaming turds or that you and your brother might have offed eachother in a Mexican standoff!

We all know you “mountain men” types…get a little hooch in y’all and for the hills![/QUOTE]

Naa … none of that.
I’m old school and getting tired of it all

[QUOTE=c.captain;88348]Somebody confirm for me that this had to be a DC motor? Lots and lots of DC amps to a motor with a locked shaft and shit melts FAST![/QUOTE]

Yes class…that’s a DC motor…and a good visual of Ohm’s Law of Power. Heat produced at current squared X resistance or voltage squared over resistance.

All bullshit aside, The vessel is not that old. A series of logic interlocks in the control systems should have been in place for a shaft brake. Were the controls and circuits under maintenance? Compound wound motor with an open field?..Many questions…Many possibilities.

[QUOTE=c.captain;88348]Somebody confirm for me that this had to be a DC motor? Lots and lots of DC amps to a motor with a locked shaft and shit melts FAST![/QUOTE]

Definitely DC, AC motors do not have commutators though some may have slip-rings with brushes. Slip rings are not segmented like a commutator which makes them easy to identify But… send lots of current to an AC motor with a locked shaft and shit melts fast, too. This will be an interesting one. A lot of things had to go wrong at once. What work was being done that required the equipment be tagged out. Someone must have started a propulsion engine. Why did the propulsion engine send power to the shaft motor? Why did sending power to the shaft motor cause a failure of the commutator? Was the shaft physically locked?

Now, after looking at all of the pictures. All of the brushes are clearly in place. The shaft clearly did not turn while it got fried. A shaft lock must have been installed while work was performed on the commutator. It looks almost like the work had been completed but someone forgot to remove the shaft lock before attempting to return the motor to service.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;88364]I’m old school and getting tired of it all[/QUOTE]

well Grover Norquist thinks that’s just being an old poopy head!

[QUOTE=87cr250r;88394]Definitely DC, AC motors do not have commutators.[/QUOTE]

Ah but that is not correct … there are AC motors with commutators and they are also adorned with bracelets.

[QUOTE=Steamer;88447]Ah but that is not correct … there are AC motors with commutators and they are also adorned with bracelets.[/QUOTE]

There are series wound AC motors.

[QUOTE=c.captain;88442]well Grover Norquist thinks that’s just being an old poopy head![/QUOTE]

Does he want you to sign something?

‘Who the hell is Grover Norquist, anyway?’ -George H.W. Bush

now I have to ask you John…how can you become tired of hijinx and repartee as this anyway? Stay here with us unwashed masses on the “Dark Side”! Pleeeeeeze?

[QUOTE=c.captain;88491]now I have to ask you John…how can you become tired of hijinx and repartee as this anyway? Stay here with us unwashed masses on the “Dark Side”! Pleeeeeeze?[/QUOTE]

Oh OK - I do wash myself every now and then, zat all right?

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;88540]Oh OK - I do wash myself every now and then, zat all right?[/QUOTE]

Good man! We leave the personal hygiene to the individual but don’t be shocked if we all want to be on the other side of the room from you. We hate the stench of rosewater and lilac! AND NO HOT TUBS UNLESS YOU MAGICALLY TRANSFORM YOURSELF INTO PAULA BROADWELL OR LUCY LAWLESS FIRST!

I haven’t seen any mention of Vigor’s possible involvement in this. So far this year incidents I have heard include, one partially capsized dry dock with a large tug inside, one rolled crane, one fatality after a fall from scaffolding, and now a destroyed propulsion motor?

I towed her from vigor Everett to Eagle Harbor a few weeks back so she has been at the WSF dock for a few weeks now.