Super Bowl

[QUOTE=brjones;97547]I am in Baltimore about once a year and always go hit a different spot in Little Italy. I love veal scallopini and Sabatinos so far has been my favorite. I have not hit all the restaurants yet. First time I went there I asked someone on the street to recommend a place and she said “pick one, they are all good” So far she was right. I haven’t had a bad meal yet. I usually hit Vaccaros for a cannoli after my dinner. About 4 years ago I went to the Preakness and all I can say is “WOW” what a blast I had. Of course after the race we hit up Little Italy…lol[/QUOTE]

Well, if you find your way out here again, drop me a line. I can give you a few recommendations. There are actually a couple of very good “ristorantes” outside of Little Italy.

But, in LI, try Da Mimmo sometime. It’s a little more upscale than most of the other joints, but you’ll find some real good Northern Italian if that’s your thing.

Crichhio (sp?) Da Mimmo had something in common with a few of us here. He was a tugboat engineer from Italy that came over back in the mid 70’s I believe. Real nice guy and I enjoyed his friendship until his passing back in the mid 90’s I think it was.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the Ravens. It was some game and I can’t help wonder what might have transpired if not for that power outage.

Unless the Niners get blown up in the offseason, they will be a force to be dealt with in the NFC for some time to come. Good luck next season.

[QUOTE=capnfab;97581]Well, if you find your way out here again, drop me a line. I can give you a few recommendations. There are actually a couple of very good “ristorantes” outside of Little Italy. [/QUOTE]

Oh Noooooo
Obryckis on East Pratt is no longer.
Oh, the humanity

Ball-Moor has the very best sea food restaurants in the world BUT I’m told Obryckis, on East Pratt, is no longer. Cripes, THAT and I hear Spenger’s Sea Food on University in Berkeley is no longer. What’s next? Bertha’s in Fells Point? Oh the humanity ~

How about that delightful German restaurant in East Ball-Moor, is that still there?
One aspect of Montana, we have a spread of deliciously different types of restaurants - steak-n-beef.
Take your pick. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;97592]How about that delightful German restaurant in East Ball-Moor, is that still there?
One aspect of Montana, we have a spread of deliciously different types of restaurants - steak-n-beef.
Take your pick. :D[/QUOTE]

Many of the “old line” restaurants in Baltimore have met their end. As the neighborhoods change from the old first & second generation immigrants to the upscale, half million dollar row homes infested with the twenty something sideways hat wearing dooshbags and their paid for girlfriends & wives, the eateries we knew from generations ago have vanished.

The old German place you mention, are you thinking of the famous Haussner’s or Eichenkranz?

Now Obrycki’s was legendary but died because the tourists were disappointed to find they were not the kind of crab house they thought it would be. Obrycki’s used a pepper based spice concoction on their steamed crabs instead of the more well known and popular “Old Bay” seasonings.

Oh, and Obrycki’s was not exactly located in a safe place. A very dangerous neighborhood it has become in Upper Fells Point.

You’ll be happy to know Bertha’s is still going strong although not under the original ownership.

[QUOTE=capnfab;97594]Many of the “old line” restaurants in Baltimore have met their end. As the neighborhoods change from the old first & second generation immigrants to the upscale, half million dollar row homes infested with the twenty something sideways hat wearing dooshbags and their paid for girlfriends & wives, the eateries we knew from generations ago have vanished.[/QUOTE]

Wonderful ~

[QUOTE=capnfab;97594]The old German place you mention, are you thinking of the famous Haussner’s or Eichenkranz? [/QUOTE]

Ah yes, Haussner’s it was, the place is loaded with steins, 'course what first rate German restaurant in the USA doesn’t fashion to an abundance of the celebrated drinking cup. I don’t recall being in Eichenkranz, did I miss out? I’m a Kraut-Mick and was raised on sumptuous German food, so whenever I found myself in a German port, like Bremerhaven or that grand Hanseatic port of Hamburg, I always got the cabbie to take me to a great dining establishment. Ever notice in Germany it’s not steins on the walls, rather it’s mounted antlers and deer heads? Don’t know what to make of this.:smiley:

[QUOTE=capnfab;97594]Now Obrycki’s was legendary but died because the tourists were disappointed to find they were not the kind of crab house they thought it would be. Obrycki’s used a pepper based spice concoction on their steamed crabs instead of the more well known and popular “Old Bay” seasonings.[/QUOTE]

WHAT !! Do you not think Old Bay is way over rated?

[QUOTE=capnfab;97594]Oh, and Obrycki’s was not exactly located in a safe place. A very dangerous neighborhood it has become in Upper Fells Point.[/QUOTE]

Actually it was like that during my last visit to the restaurant, back in June 1998. You parked across the dimly lit street and faced at least three armed guards watching the vehicles and making sure no one got mugged entering/leaving the establishment. But - it was packed, the food out of sight, as always. So now it’s gone. Not nice!

[QUOTE=capnfab;97594]You’ll be happy to know Bertha’s is still going strong although not under the original ownership.[/QUOTE]

Well at least some things are still sacred. Ever go to Turkey Joe’s, up the street from Bertha’s?

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;97624]Wonderful ~

Ah yes, Haussner’s it was, the place is loaded with steins, 'course what first rate German restaurant in the USA doesn’t fashion to an abundance of the celebrated drinking cup. I don’t recall being in Eichenkranz, did I miss out? I’m a Kraut-Mick and was raised on sumptuous German food, so whenever I found myself in a German port, like Bremerhaven or that grand Hanseatic port of Hamburg, I always got the cabbie to take me to a great dining establishment. Ever notice in Germany it’s not steins on the walls, rather it’s mounted antlers and deer heads? Don’t know what to make of this.:smiley:

WHAT !! Do you not think Old Bay is way over rated?

Actually it was like that during my last visit to the restaurant, back in June 1998. You parked across the dimly lit street and faced at least three armed guards watching the vehicles and making sure no one got mugged entering/leaving the establishment. But - it was packed, the food out of sight, as always. So now it’s gone. Not nice!

Well at least some things are still sacred. Ever go to Turkey Joe’s, up the street from Bertha’s?[/QUOTE]

Ah, the legendary Haussner’s. Been shuttered for nearly 15 years now. Aside from the food, they were famous for the millions in art around the dining rooms. Eichenkranz is an old line German restaurant still in business not too far from where Haussner’s once stood. At one time, Baltimore had a huge German population.

I don’t believe Old Bay is over-rated, the tourists came to Obrycki’s expecting Old Bay and got the more traditional pepper based concoction.

Turkey Joe’s…legendary. I was till an under aged drinker when Joe closed the joint in 1983 I think. His wife and I are long time friends, she was a dispatcher at the Baltimore Maritime Exchange (when it was in the Recreation Pier where the tugs were) and later a dispatcher for McAllister Towing too. Joe is still the character he always was.

You probably wouldn’t recognize Fells Point these days Griz, congested, over built and tugboat-less these days. Very sad for a person like myself that grew up there. We lost something very special once the neighborhood was “discovered”.

I love Old Bay. My father introduced it to me from when we was attending school at 9 Light Street. He would tell me how in Baltimore they sprinkle it on the crabs.

[QUOTE=brjones;97673]I love Old Bay. My father introduced it to me from when we was attending school at 9 Light Street. He would tell me how in Baltimore they sprinkle it on the crabs.[/QUOTE]

9 South Light Street?

It’s been a while, but was that where the old Southern Hotel that housed the Calhoun University of Nautical Technology was?

I should know this…

[QUOTE=capnfab;97677]9 South Light Street?

It’s been a while, but was that where the old Southern Hotel that housed the Calhoun University of Nautical Technology was?

I should know this…[/QUOTE]
Yep. Calhoon MEBA engineering school was where he went before they moved out to Easton.

Thanks. Thought so, but it has been quite a while.

Just an FYI…about steaming crabs and seasoning them if you’re interested.

I learned from my dad & grandfather at an early age…we always had crabs around when I was kid. I always thought of blue crabs as “poor folks food”, not the 100 bucks a bushel delicacy they have come to be. They have been over fished for years now, driving the prices skyward.

In a large steamer pot we would put down a wire grate in the bottom to keep the crabs out of the moisture, which was normally a bottle or two of National Premium or Boh (local brews)…a layer of live crabs atop the wire, seasoned heavily with dry mustard, salt, a little pepper and copious amounts of Old Bay…followed by another layer of crabs, seasoning, etc…

You’d hafta hold the lid down once they started steaming as the crabs were right pissed and trying to get out. But, after a few minutes, they settled down and you knew they were done once they got to that bright red color.

There’s nothing like an old fashioned Baltimore crab feast on a table covered in newspaper with enough beer on hand to float a supertanker!

[QUOTE=capnfab;97681]Thanks. Thought so, but it has been quite a while.

Just an FYI…about steaming crabs and seasoning them if you’re interested.

I learned from my dad & grandfather at an early age…we always had crabs around when I was kid. I always thought of blue crabs as “poor folks food”, not the 100 bucks a bushel delicacy they have come to be. They have been over fished for years now, driving the prices skyward.

In a large steamer pot we would put down a wire grate in the bottom to keep the crabs out of the moisture, which was normally a bottle or two of National Premium or Boh (local brews)…a layer of live crabs atop the wire, seasoned heavily with dry mustard, salt, a little pepper and copious amounts of Old Bay…followed by another layer of crabs, seasoning, etc…

You’d hafta hold the lid down once they started steaming as the crabs were right pissed and trying to get out. But, after a few minutes, they settled down and you knew they were done once they got to that bright red color.

There’s nothing like an old fashioned Baltimore crab feast on a table covered in newspaper with enough beer on hand to float a supertanker![/QUOTE]

This is coming from someone that lived on Kent Island on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. As far as I am concerned eating Crab is just an excuse to sit around and drink beer all day. Now I love my beer but hate Crabs!

[QUOTE=Tugs;97682]This is coming from someone that lived on Kent Island on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. As far as I am concerned eating Crab is just an excuse to sit around and drink beer all day. Now I love my beer but hate Crabs![/QUOTE]

Heretic!

[QUOTE=capnfab;97681]In a large steamer pot we would put down a wire grate in the bottom to keep the crabs out of the moisture, which was normally a bottle or two of National Premium or Boh (local brews)…a layer of live crabs atop the wire, seasoned heavily with dry mustard, salt, a little pepper and copious amounts of Old Bay…followed by another layer of crabs, seasoning, etc…

There’s nothing like an old fashioned Baltimore crab feast on a table covered in newspaper with enough beer on hand to float a supertanker![/QUOTE]

Ah MAN, bring THAT to Montana - On second thought perhaps not. Those who never left Montana (and why should they?) would think they were eating bugs. :smiley: