Steersmans apprentice

I have a 200 ton master license and would like to get my steersman apprentice. I have towing experience working on deck as a AB, however it is from a long time ago. What would be the best way to go about getting steersman. Do many of the inland towing companies hire steersman apprentice? All of my time over the last 10 years have been on crew boats. Thanks

[QUOTE=Dawn patrol;141062]I have a 200 ton master license and would like to get my steersman apprentice. I have towing experience working on deck as a AB, however it is from a long time ago. What would be the best way to go about getting steersman. Do many of the inland towing companies hire steersman apprentice? All of my time over the last 10 years have been on crew boats. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Steersman/Apprentice Mate requires a total of 18 months, with 12 of them on towing vessels. 3 months of the total has to be in the past 3 years, but it doesn’t have to be the time on towing vessels. So if you have 3 months on deck on any vessel in the past 3 years, your old time can be used.

Thank You Mr. Cavo for the help.

Im currently looking for information as well i just received my license. And im looking for some one to train me? do anyone know any company thats has a steersman program. i tried higman but cannot get in touch with anyone.

[QUOTE=Jvm33;166157]Im currently looking for information as well i just received my license. And im looking for some one to train me? do anyone know any company thats has a steersman program. i tried higman but cannot get in touch with anyone.[/QUOTE]

Very few companies that I’m aware of carry a steersman, especially in this economy. Usually you work as a deck hand and if you bust ass and the captain likes you then you train during your off watch.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Dawn patrol;141062]I have a 200 ton master license and would like to get my steersman apprentice. I have towing experience working on deck as a AB, however it is from a long time ago. What would be the best way to go about getting steersman. Do many of the inland towing companies hire steersman apprentice? All of my time over the last 10 years have been on crew boats. Thanks[/QUOTE]

It would be much simpler to get a 500 ton license and get a TOAR done…

I had a 100 ton, radar, 1080 days as master, a completed toar, letter from my employer saying I had at least 30 days of training / observation on towing vessels. I took the apprentice mate class and upgrade to 200 ton. Just got my 200 master and mate pilot of towing vessels in August.

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;174217]I had a 100 ton, radar, 1080 days as master, a completed toar, letter from my employer saying I had at least 30 days of training / observation on towing vessels. I took the apprentice mate class and upgrade to 200 ton. Just got my 200 master and mate pilot of towing vessels in August.[/QUOTE]

The path you descriobe is only for persons who already hold a license and have at least 3 years service as Master. See 46 CFR 11.465(f).

[QUOTE=jdcavo;174292]The path you descriobe is only for persons who already hold a license and have at least 3 years service as Master. See 46 CFR 11.465(f).[/QUOTE]

The OP has a 200 ton Master, though he didn’t mention if he has any sea time actually AS master.

Same issues here - hold a 1600 Ton and AB Unlimited but can’t seem to find a tug/tow company that will let me work as deckhand since my years have been on OSV’s. I’m ready, willing and able to bust my rear to make a living and advance later on - any thoughts, positive and helpful, appreciated greatly