100 ton master - add steersman?

I need some information on the steersman endorsement. I am working on getting a job where I need the apprentice mate endorsement and I can’t find any info on putting one on my 100 ton Master license. I know about the 90 days minumum (for western Rivers) plus TOAR plus steersman courses for Mate of towing vessels. I would think getting the apprentice mate should be even easier? Can’t find anything about it in the CFR’s though. Anyone done this?

[QUOTE=biglarryb;32066]I need some information on the steersman endorsement. I am working on getting a job where I need the apprentice mate endorsement and I can’t find any info on putting one on my 100 ton Master license. I know about the 90 days minumum (for western Rivers) plus TOAR plus steersman courses for Mate of towing vessels. I would think getting the apprentice mate should be even easier? Can’t find anything about it in the CFR’s though. Anyone done this?[/QUOTE]

Apprentice Mate (Steersman) requires 18 months of service on deck, at least 12 must be on towing vessels. This is the only way to get apprentice mate. However, if you have at least 3 years as Master under your license, you can get MATE of towing vessels by getting [B][U]at least[/U][/B] 30 days on a towing vessel under observation and training, and completing the TOAR and the (apprentice mate) exam for the route you will be licensed for.

Thank you Mr. Cavo. I saw that in the CFR’s. It would actually be a minimum of 90 days for me because I need Wesern Rivers. I just figured a steersman should be easier then Mate to obtain since it’s less responsibility (a licenced Mate or Master must be on the bridge). I guess that is something they forgot when writing the new reg’s. Thank you for your input. Question: Is there a way to get a TOAR if my company does not have a designated examiner? Thanks!