STCW Passenger Ship Endorsements

I’m renewing my MMC and have completed the “special training requirements” laid out in:

NVIV 06-98 - Special training requirements for Merchant Mariners serving on roll-on/roll-off (RO-RO) passengerships

And

NVIC 04-99 - Special Training Requirements for Merchant Mariners Serving on Passenger Ships other than Roll-On/Roll-Off (Ro-Ro) Passenger Ships.

I expected to get the STCW endorsement of V/2 - Officer serving on board a Ro-Ro passenger ships on international voyages. And STCW endorsement of V/3 - Officer serving on board passenger ships, on international voyages, other than Ro-Ro passenger ships. However, the NMC has informed me that they are not issuing endorsements for this.

Is this true?

If so, why go through all the hoops of codification in the CFR’s to essentially ignore this rating?:thinking:

Thanks in advance for your input. :pray:

Also “special training” comments are welcome.

Did you apply for those endorsements?

See 46 CFR 10.109(d). Note the absence of endorsements for these STCW requirements.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of this list. Very helpful. Thank you.

The absence of an endorsement doesn’t mean it’s not required. You would need to provide evidence of the training if asked by Port State Control. See 46 CFR 11.1105. Note sub-paragraph (a)(2), it doesn’t specify holding an endorsement, it says that you must “hold documentary evidence as proof of meeting these requirements through approved or accepted training.”

A similar requirement that is not (yet) in the CFR is discussed in CG-MMC-Policy Letter 02-21. Note that as discussed in the policy letter, “voluntary compliance” means that there are no regulations (yet) requiring the training, but as noted in the policy letter, it does not mean that foreign port state control cannot require it, and detain the vessel if you don’t have it.

1 Like

More paperwork that I will need to keep on hand. I swear half my carry on luggage weight is now paperwork. Thanks for the policy letter reference. I will bookmark that one as well. Your answers are far quicker and clearer than that of the NMC. Maybe they can outsource you… :thinking::thinking: Much appreciated.