STCW internation and national unlimited endorsement questions

Hello gCaptain,

Looking for informations while I’m on the journey to Unlimited.

Is the international, “STCW Endorsement as OICNW on Vessels of 500 GT or More” equivalent to the domestic Unlimited 3rd Mate.

What I’m seeing is is the “STCW II/2-MASTER 3000 GT OR MORE” is Unlimited captain,
“STCW II/2 -CHIEF MATE 3000 GT OR MORE MANAGEMENT LEVEL” is Unlimted 1/m

So then whats international 2/m and 3rd/m?
" STCW II/1 - OICNW 500 GT OR MORE OPERATIONAL LEVEL"??

What is the difference between the OSV endorsements and non OSV endorsement?

Osv is a Trade restricted license. A non osv license is not…

Also, if you look at the checklist…like this one for 3/m unlimited

you would see at the very bottom what the endorsement qualifies for on the stcw side of things. Example NOTE TO EVAL: A person holding this endorsement may qualify for an STCW endorsement, according to § 11.309.

Cfr example https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/11.309

Now you should be able to answer all of your questions with just a little research since I gave you the step by step guide.

Yes and no. All mates 500 GRT and up who have OICNW have STCW II/1 so having that coffee is not automatically “equivalent to unlimited 3rd mate”.

What specifically do you want to know?

Here is an article by Captain Pradeep Chawla, Managing Director, QHSE & Training at Anglo-Eastern Ship Management about the status of STCW in different countries (Marex, 11/2015):

Anglo-Eastern has merged with Univan to form one of the largest Ship Management companies in the world with a diversified fleet and employing over 24000 seafarers of many different nationalities:

BTW, the STCW page reads the same regardless as there is no OSV STCW endorsement but you’re restricted by your national license at all times.

Not always. STCW endorsements can be limited to OSVs. If it is limited to OSVs, the STCW endorsement will say so. See NVICs 1-17, 2-17, 3-17, and 4-17.