STCW for entry level door knockers in Gulf of Mexico? Cheapest course?

Most of the people on here are marsh mellows compared to the shipmates I’ve had. Good luck to you in the future. Don’t worry, you’ll learn.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/
Start every search on the web site above… Word of mouth is full of… Misinformation. Pack your bags, fly to New Orleans, rent a car, take your class, and look for a job. BST the first week and job the second… Be ready to go offshore… BST for an OS with no sea time could possibly be a waste if money, don’t forget to get the certificates to the Coast Guard within one year or you will have to take the thing over again! No one will help you … And if they do , be cautious…

You effing twerp, if you showed up in our engine room with that attitude you would get every shit job imaginable and then get ignored at chow. We have gray water float switches to replace and you’d be the one in the tank! You are as bad as that fool the other day who tried to call me a homophobe when I never once mentioned gays in my comment. All talk no brains. Please adjust your mentality before you show up out here!!!

PS, paid for my own classes. Figure on paying up to a grand for BST and then if its engine you want, look into taking RFPEW as a week long assessment, another grand. Not including room and board. Make sure the school has the CG approval letter.

• posting from the North Pacific

Oh, he will learn one way or the other.

PS, we will be in SF on the 14th and I plan a stop at the Hall.

Great! I have yet to visit headquarters. Talk to OB (oh bee) he’s very helpful. We are still hurting for qualified electricians and reefers.

He’s just a thin skinned, Internet tough guy. With an attitude like that, there’s no need to take these classes, he’ll never last.

Lol. This reminds me of the call I got last time home.

Personnel Manager: So-and-so said you wouldn’t sign their ratings for navigational watch. Why not?

Me: I didn’t know they needed to get that done. They never approached me about it, never came up to the wheel-house to learn anything, and spent 100% of their off time sleeping and playing video games. That being said, since they went to you about this perceived slight, you can knock them off the list of people we’d like to see back on the boat. Or, go ahead and send them back, and I’ll take it from there.

Honestly, I’m not going to chase some nobody down to see if I can brighten my day by spending time explaining and teaching them things they’ll be ungrateful for. Don’t be that guy. Come up in your off time when things are quiet. Introduce yourself. Let me know what you need to learn, ask what you should review prior, and be respectful of the fact there are about 5000 things I’d rather do with my time. Most of all, take it seriously. This is how I make a living, it’s my career. I have no idea if you’ll still be doing this in six months. I’ve helped lots of guys up the ladder, but for every one of them there are twenty wash-outs. So, until you prove otherwise, I’ll treat you as the latter.

^^^^^ mandatory reading for all entry level guys^^^^^

Add to that you are not supposed to be teaching, but EVALUATING what they are supposed to know.

Oregonblitzkrieg, as I posted on another thread, you can get free STCW classes and an AB Special, if you attend the SIU apprenticeship program in Maryland. That would be the quickest and cheapest route, if you can get into the program and put up with the regimental-style stuff for a few months.

I’ve looked around, and most jobs on the internet require STCW/BST for entry level OSs, or so they say. Exceptions are NOAA, which provides training, and MSC, which also provides training, but it seems there are never any entry level OS jobs advertised for MSC, (I’ve been watching their site for several years). The Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) cruise ship in Hawaii also provides BST to all their employees, in fact, they used to to send their new crew to train at SIU’s facility. NCL runs the only large cruise ship that requires American employees, but I don’t know how to get an OS or wiper job with NCL, like MSC, they never advertise openings for those. It’s still a mystery to me where their entry level deck people come from. (if anyone knows, please chime in) As far as I can tell SIU places people with NOAA, MSC, and NCL, so maybe all the entry deck jobs are filled by SIU.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);116595]Add to that you are not supposed to be teaching, but EVALUATING what they are supposed to know.[/QUOTE]

For RFPNW, while you might strictly be evaluating the competencies, you also need to sign on on the record of sea service while “in training” for their qualifications. So hopefully some training is going on as well.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;116485]Cheap STCW-Basic Safety Training on the west coast ($500), Military Sealift Command (Pacific) 619-556-9910[/QUOTE]

Was this a joke posting? Does MSC train people who don’t work for them?

I trained people at sea almost every day. Certainly watch officers instruct over the course of the sea service prior to the check offs, but personally I’d not be involved in training when someone is displaying competences.

SIU does not place OS on MSC ships. OS is considered a promotion at MSC. Therefore for the most part MSC gets their OS from the supply utility manning. SU’s already work for MSC and put in for the OS billets. So, to gain an OS job with MSC you would first need to obtain a job as Supply utility and go from there.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);116600]SIU does not place OS on MSC ships. OS is considered a promotion at MSC. Therefore for the most part MSC gets their OS from the supply utility manning. SU’s already work for MSC and put in for the OS billets. So, to gain an OS job with MSC you would first need to obtain a job as Supply utility and go from there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the definitive clarification. Just curious, do the SUs earn any kind of sea time?

I’m still wondering about NCL and where they get their OSs. It’s weird that they advertise for all the other jobs.

[QUOTE=“Xmsccapt(ret);116595”]

Add to that you are not supposed to be teaching, but EVALUATING what they are supposed to know.[/QUOTE]

They have to already know it to be evaluated. First you have to teach it to them…

This FAQ says that NCL trains their crew for STCW. It also says that deck and engineering crew belong to SIU. http://www.ncl.com/about/careers/shipboard-employment-pride-of-america/faq If you can figure out how to get a job with them in the area you want, they’ll provide your STCW training.

[QUOTE=“MariaW;116598”]

Was this a joke posting? Does MSC train people who don’t work for them?[/QUOTE]

I know they use to let you take classes

Thanks for some of your replies. My attack was leveled at only 1 person. His foul mouthed rant in response to my question was inappropriate. I don’t feel I need to be respectful toward people like that. I think I’ve been respectful toward everyone else. If you think my questions are stupid you sure don’t have to answer them. None of the prior threads dealt specifically with STWC courses on the west coast in 2013, hence my reason for asking and seeing if anyone knew. I’ve got alot other things going on in my life right now, having to deal with pricks like him is irritating. PS in response to one poster, I didn’t and won’t bother reading anything more from that person. If someone invades your conversation with others and starts cussing and complaining, would you continue to listen to such a person? Once again thanks to the other posters. If there’s not one already, maybe there should be a beginner’s forum on this website… no one would have anything to complain about then.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberRhib888
Quote Originally Posted by oregonblitzkrieg
If you’re that much of a prick on a Sunday afternoon, hate to know what you’re like on a Monday morning. You were once a beginner too, prick, doesn’t give you the right to be an a-hole to people you don’t even know. Save your sh*t cursing for your drinking buddies and your transvestite wife.
First of all my post didn’t come even close to calling you a name or insulting you or your family. Re read the post again. Your questions have been answered so many fucking times in the past year its pathetic. Clearly you did no research before posting your query. And for the record I did this all on my own without this forum. Keep the name calling for yourself and people in front of your face. The difference between our posts…is that I’ll say mine to your face…You dint have the balls to say yours to my face. You attempted to insult me and my wife. You crossed the line. I suggest you don’t let your temper get a hold of you. If you can’t take a little rant like that on a public forum. You’ll never make it on an OSV in the Gulf. Go to the store and get some thicker skin…you’re going to need it. You’re probably a kid from this new Bieber generation where everyone has to worry about hurting your wittle feelings. Re read my post again. Be careful what you post on the internet.
Like I said you fucker, if you don’t like what I post don’t bother reading or responding to it. Fucking fag. You crossed the line when you started ranting and cursing over a simple and polite question. And if you bothered to read the whole question you cunt, you would have noticed that it was more specific than just a general inquiry about STCW requirements. Sorry, I didn’t mean to insult your wife, or is that husband, you NE fags are all for gay marriage I remember. PS you didn’t say anything to my face, you posted it in a forum, shitbag. BTW I graduated high school in 94 and college in 2000, so I’m not from the Bieber generation. My girlfried had a stroke. I would go on to a ship to work, not to put up with shit from fucks like you.

I read my private messages first before I checked the thread yesterday. I thought Oregon just insulted me privately…then I read the thread. Clearly I was wrong. I let it go for the day and decided not to answer him just yet. Then I read another private message from Oregon. He continued to spat insults and name calling. So I decided to paste the private message thread for you guys and gals to see for pure entertainment value. I have gotten into a couple of verbal battles with one or two forum members in the past. We resolved the issues like adults and everybody is happy. I hope I cut and pasted it correctly. Good luck to you Oregonblitzkrieg.