Starting out in the GOM

[QUOTE=“ElCapitan;97775”]At ECO an OS starts at $200.00 a day, an AB starts at $300.00, 100 ton crew boat captain starts at $350.00 depending on experience.[/QUOTE]

Os starts at $190 at eco

I’d definitely say not a waste. Without knowing how the oilfield works and trying to be a captain it can mean career suicide. Take the time to learn the oilfield before taking control of the wheel whether it be AB or OS. I’ve seen many “yacht” captains come down here and fail miserably. It’s a completely different world.

Great advice. Thanks for the input. From what i gather it will be beneficial to start as an AB to learn the ropes and work my way up. My ego is small enough to start on the deck and learn oil patch. I would actually prefer to do things that way instead of (bsing) my way through it like I have seen in the recreational boating industry.

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;97802]I’d definitely say not a waste. Without knowing how the oilfield works and trying to be a captain it can mean career suicide. Take the time to learn the oilfield before taking control of the wheel whether it be AB or OS. I’ve seen many “yacht” captains come down here and fail miserably. It’s a completely different world.[/QUOTE]

My background was in the recreation boat field when I headed down to the oil patch with a 100 T NC license in 2008. Found a spot as 3rd capt on a crew boat, and things have worked out well.

Upgraded my license, and I’m now on an OSV.

It can be done. Keep knocking on doors.

Check with Steve Marcrum at Candy Fleet in Morgan City. They are a bare bones operation, average pay, and some turn over as crew move on. It is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. The more doors you knock on and the more often you do it, the higher the chances of being in the right place at the right time.

I agree it can be done. Hopefully one can get put with other understanding captains who are willing to teach. Respect doesn’t always come easy to someone who didn’t learn the ropes.

I also started out with a 100 ton license. I first started as the 2nd capt/mate on a small utility boat, then moved on to a bigger company that provided training for advancement. As others have said, start working where you can and get as much training as you can.

Good luck

[QUOTE=CurryAK;97730]I dont believe you must have rfpnw for ab unlimited . Just bst and lifeboatman. Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Neither RFPNW or BST is required to get an AB endorsement (Lifeboatman is required). You can get any domestic endorsement or license without having to get an STCW endorsement. However, many vessels’ operations require STCW and you may not be able to work without the STCW. So the Coast GFuard may issue you the AB endorsement, but as others have noted, companies may not hire you without RFPNW (and BST).

Does anyone have any idea how long this overly complex and confusing dual track Domestic/STCW licensing system is going to last?

Whatever happened with that Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to “modernize” the licensing system?

Capt. Joe,

I’m in similar shoes, taking care of all that now. Get the AB and RFPNW through a simulator. You will be qualified to work as an AB Special (OSV) upon completion. You can get your Unlimited but can’t work under it without RFPNW which is normally done aboard ship. The Special OSV through the simulator is the exception to the rule.

Awesome, thanks for the pointers.

Given your background, you may want to consider the Workboat Academy if the ultimate goal is to become a Mate. The program will provide you with an un-restricted Mate 1600 GRT License in two years, and they will find an employer for you. Houston Marine now offers the program, if you want to get the training done locally. If you have your AB ticket, then you will get AB wages during the program.

Given the amount of overseas business in the OSV Sector, the un-restricted license is becoming more and more valuable.

[QUOTE=water;97849]My background was in the recreation boat field when I headed down to the oil patch with a 100 T NC license in 2008. Found a spot as 3rd capt on a crew boat, and things have worked out well.

Upgraded my license, and I’m now on an OSV.

It can be done. Keep knocking on doors.

Check with Steve Marcrum at Candy Fleet in Morgan City. They are a bare bones operation, average pay, and some turn over as crew move on. It is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. The more doors you knock on and the more often you do it, the higher the chances of being in the right place at the right time.[/QUOTE]

Hi Water,
Yes, I can vouch for that.
You were one of my first success stories.
Always made the most of your time when you were here.
Knocking on those doors while you were taking classes at LE Fletcher, definitely paid off for you.
It’s hard to believe it’s been that long; 2008.
I am so happy that things are going so well for you; rightfully deserved.
Claudette