Stability Problems on USCG exam

Hi all,
Are stability formulas made available for use and reference on the Chief-Mate/Master CG exam by USCG ? Or these formulas have to be memorized?
thanks for any info in advance
Vitaly K

I believe you have to memorize them. I sat across from a guy working on his Chief Mate Unlimited and he was working hard…writing down what he had memorized. No aids other than the worksheets to go off of.

[QUOTE=vkMariner;48056]Hi all,
Are stability formulas made available for use and reference on the Chief-Mate/Master CG exam by USCG ? Or these formulas have to be memorized?
thanks for any info in advance
Vitaly K[/QUOTE]

no you must memorize the formula there are 5 basic formulas to use up to 500-1600 ton master mate beyond that i dont know

Swampfox, thank you for this info. Btw passing score for stability is 70%, which is definitely better than 80 or 90%, but still…

Yes, you have to memorize them and it’s not easy. In fact CM/Master stability is the only test I’ve ever had to retake and it was because I’m not good at memorization.

There is, however, a new book out about learning how to memorize stuff. I’ve only read parts but I hear that it’s good. It’s called “moonwalking with einstein”.

Anyone have any good tricks for memorizing these?

[QUOTE=john;48287]Yes, you have to memorize them and it’s not easy. In fact CM/Master stability is the only test I’ve ever had to retake and it was because I’m not good at memorization.

There is, however, a new book out about learning how to memorize stuff. I’ve only read parts but I hear that it’s good. It’s called “moonwalking with einstein”.

Anyone have any good tricks for memorizing these?[/QUOTE]

no tips or tricks, but i always just stared at the sheet before going in to test and wrote down everything from just moments before so i didnt have to burden myself trying to recall them as i took an exam.