St. Lawrence Seaway Pilotage

If I have St. Lawrence Seaway Pilotage (Welland Canal, St. Lawrence River, etc.) what fees are I am required to pay to sail through the seaway with a vessel that would normally take on a local pilot?

I certainly don’t know what the fees are, it probably depends on the size and type of vessel, but I do think you would still be required to take a local pilot, unless it’s a yacht or tugboat.

It is a small overnight passenger ship. We are currently required to take on a pilot, just seeing if we had someone with pilotage if we would still be required to take on the local pilot.

Very Respectfully,

Timothy Fox

Operations & New Product Development Manager

Blount Small Ship Adventures

Go where the big ships cannot.

461 Water Street, Warren, RI 02885

p. 800.556.7450 ext. 206 f. 401.247.2350

Follow Us!


** **| **YouTube **

I’m not in the Geat Lakes. I do not know anything about treaties between the US and Canada that are specific to the Great Lakes and the Seaway.

Generally speaking, I do not see why a small (probably, 99 GRT) US vessel documented for the coastwise trade would need a pilot in US waters. I can see where a pilot, or someone with a pilotage waiver or exemption, might be required in Canada.

See: Great , and the Great Lakes Pilotage Authority website.

Following two US flag tugboat incidents in British Columbia, the Canadian Government is re-evaluating it’s pilotage system and requirements, nationwide. There are a variety of new proposals. So pilotage requirements will be changing. The Pacific Pilotage Authority implemented new emergency rules tightening up navigation practices, restricting routes, and tightening the issuance of pilotage waivers. I don’t know the Great Lakes Pilotage Authority rules.

I think you will find a reasonable and cost effective resolution to your problem. It may include employing someone with a Great Lakes Pilotage Authority, pilotage waiver.

1 Like