Considering obtaining my Pilotage

My question is, when is it a requirement to have a Pilot aboard when departing / entering the same US port of call ?

type of vessel, size, how long of voyage, foreign?

Heavy Lift vessel, 292x314 7 days or less at sea, US flag operating in US waters. 10,116 GRT.

Depends on local requirements. Most port index pubs have local requirements. Most states require state associated pilots.

I can’t say for sure but if you’re sailing coastwise and you have a first class pilot endorsement you should be able to provide your own pilotage. If you’re not and are sailing on registry then you normally need a state pilot. I don’t think states can regulate pilotage on coastwise trade as it only requires federal pilotage.

The question is why, unless the company is going to pay you a good bit of the money they will save on hiring a pilot?

This is the probably the clearest Coast Guard interpretation of the matters surrounding Federal Endorsements:

And This:

And Lastly:

Your vessel is over 10,000 tons. So it requires a licensed first class pilot ANYtime it moves. (Within pilot waters (( usually interpreted as inshore of the boundary line)).

When it is engaged in foreign trade it will require a state pilot instead.

The confusion stems from tugboaters who are allowed to "ACT"as pilots when moving barges between 1,600 tons and 9,999 tons. This is only legal when the tug operator has satisfied ‘recency’ requirements. Recency is 12 round trips, of which must be four in darkness over the route, with at least one round trip within the previous 5 years. But when a tug is moving a barge engaged in foreign trade state laws take precedence. But Acting As Pilots are only valid on towing vessels. None of the acting as pilots are qualified to pilot a self propelled vessel over 1,600 tons. None.

Thanks to all that replied to this thread, it has shed some light on my uncertainties.

yes but what I’m thinking is if you indeed have the proper first class pilotage endorsement you can be your own pilot on a vessel over 1,600 tons…right? I only see situations in USC where they specify IN ADDITION to vessels crew.

I’m going to submit my trips along with all other necessary paperwork and see what happens. We the ships crew also do our own docking and undocking of the vessel. We then make up tow mid channel.

tow? So is it a barge, or tug? I’m confused.

[QUOTE=lm1883;184800]This is correct so long as you are US flag and not under register. None of these laws apply to government owned vessels.[/QUOTE]

Yes, all sailing coastwise, not under register.
He’s probably talking about this.

If you have a FCP endorsement for a body of water you can pilot the vessel on that body of water. ( but the 12 hour in 24 rule still applies) If the vessel has a 8 hour trip down a river and half the time falls when you are off watch you can’t be the pilot for the job. Unless two watch officers have pilotage. Because then you would be over the 12 hours in 24 hours rule on hours worked. This is why pilots change out after 12 hours.

You have to draw a chart for the areas of water which you applying for correct

and complete a local knowledge exam, and already be licensed to a certain degree, if not you take a more comprehensive exam.